17-18 Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

39 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

A little late to the party, but can't imagine the Sox would be willing to move Benintendi or Devers.  Their package starts with Groome, and goes from there.  Is there enough?  Maybe.

If the Giants can get into real talks with the Marlins over Stanton with what they have to offer (aka, nothing all that good), I don't see why a package for the sox couldn't start with Groome. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If the Giants can get into real talks with the Marlins over Stanton with what they have to offer (aka, nothing all that good), I don't see why a package for the sox couldn't start with Groome. 

Unless I've missed something in the few days I've been gone, the Marlins wanted MLB-ready pitching.  And that's something that the Red Sox can't really offer.  IF they're going to make an offer, it probably leads to them sending someone like Jackie Bradley Jr. to a 3rd team who sends pitching to Miami.  Or it could be a direct trade and then re-route that pitching prospect(s) to Miami as part of a Stanton trade.  LIS, it doesn't make sense to move Devers or Bentinentdi in a Stanton trade.

5 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Ugh but the Marlins can do better than Groome can't they???

Yes and no.  Are they going to find a team whose willing to eat the entirety of Stanton's contract and give up pitching prospect as talented as Groome?  Probably not.  But they're also not going to get an MLB-ready SP prospect unless they're willing to eat money either IMO.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unless I've missed something in the few days I've been gone, the Marlins wanted MLB-ready pitching.  And that's something that the Red Sox can't really offer.  IF they're going to make an offer, it probably leads to them sending someone like Jackie Bradley Jr. to a 3rd team who sends pitching to Miami.  Or it could be a direct trade and then re-route that pitching prospect(s) to Miami as part of a Stanton trade.  LIS, it doesn't make sense to move Devers or Bentinentdi in a Stanton trade.

Is Beede considered major league ready? I only ask because there was a report that the Giants are interested in Bradley...could make sense for that to become a 3 team trade between those three. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Is Beede considered major league ready? I only ask because there was a report that the Giants are interested in Bradley...could make sense for that to become a 3 team trade between those three. 

Close enough.  But I'm not sure he's really enough to headline a trade for JBJ.  I'm not even that high on Bradley, but I'd want more than just Beede.  The problem for me with San Francisco is the weak farm system PLUS the financial constraints.  IF they weren't on the West Coast, would we be talking about them as potential suitors for Stanton?  My guess is not.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Close enough.  But I'm not sure he's really enough to headline a trade for JBJ.  I'm not even that high on Bradley, but I'd want more than just Beede.  The problem for me with San Francisco is the weak farm system PLUS the financial constraints.  IF they weren't on the West Coast, would we be talking about them as potential suitors for Stanton?  My guess is not.

yeah, it would definitely be more, I would guess. How much more, I have no idea. I'm terrible at evaluating that stuff. I could see them dumping panik or arroyo given they have to both play second (arroyo simply doesn't have the stick for third in my opinion), so some sort of package with Beede / Arroyo (or Panik) and whatever else, then Boston flips those to Miami along with whoever else is needed that they were sending (which allows Miamia to dump Dee and have a replacement there I suppose...I don't know...just spitballing.)

I think the Giants execs are legitimately interested, and I think it definitely picks up more steam because they play on the west coast and I thought Stanton had said (or was believed) to not have an issue with a trade there. But as you said, it makes no sense financially in  my opinion. The Giants already have the most money wrapped up for 18, 19, 20 and 21 as it stands right now I believe. 'JBJ makes a ton more sense than Stanton for them. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

yeah, it would definitely be more, I would guess. How much more, I have no idea. I'm terrible at evaluating that stuff. I could see them dumping panik or arroyo given they have to both play second (arroyo simply doesn't have the stick for third in my opinion), so some sort of package with Beede / Arroyo (or Panik) and whatever else, then Boston flips those to Miami along with whoever else is needed that they were sending (which allows Miamia to dump Dee and have a replacement there I suppose...I don't know...just spitballing.)

I think the Giants execs are legitimately interested, and I think it definitely picks up more steam because they play on the west coast and I thought Stanton had said (or was believed) to not have an issue with a trade there. But as you said, it makes no sense financially in  my opinion. The Giants already have the most money wrapped up for 18, 19, 20 and 21 as it stands right now I believe. 'JBJ makes a ton more sense than Stanton for them. 

I'm not particularly well versed with the Giants system, nor am I that high on JBJ to begin with so I'm probably no better.  Not sure the Giants give up Arroyo AND Beede in the same deal, I think they'd probably prefer to deal Panik.  Panik is a 2B, so the Marlins would need to deal Dee Gordon shortly after that deal though.

19 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

The Giants dont really even have the prospects to get Bradley. I wouldnt have a single one of their players in the top 100 prospects.

It's so depressing lol. 

I'm actually not a fan of Arroyo - I'd rather keep Panik moving forward, so I hope we are able to ship him for something. I think there are a lot of decent "cog" pieces (guys like Duggar who are going to fill specific roles on rosters) and some 3 /4 type rotation guys with a top end ceiling at a low 2, but yeah, no stars in my opinion either. Maybe Ramos has the raw tools to be one eventually? I don't know. 

3 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Don't really watch the Reds, how good is he? What would he cost?

Iglesias is stupid good, but I think the Reds will be asking too much for him.  95-99 fastball with a crazy amount of movement, plus slider, plus changeup.  Was looking like an ace, but his shoulder couldn't handle a starter load.  Has been healthy since the move to the bullpen.  Still 4 years of control.  Word on the street was when the Nationals were talking to the Reds around the trade deadline that a trade for Iglesias would have to start with Robles, and they wanted more.  Needless to say talks didn't get very far, and the Nationals once again choked out of the playoffs.  If that was true, i'd think an Iglesias trade would have to start with Royce Lewis and include a couple more decent pieces like Alex Kiriloff and Blayne Enlow.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

It's so depressing lol. 

I'm actually not a fan of Arroyo - I'd rather keep Panik moving forward, so I hope we are able to ship him for something. I think there are a lot of decent "cog" pieces (guys like Duggar who are going to fill specific roles on rosters) and some 3 /4 type rotation guys with a top end ceiling at a low 2, but yeah, no stars in my opinion either. Maybe Ramos has the raw tools to be one eventually? I don't know. 

Ramos is the top player in the system, even though he was just drafted. He actually has upside, unlike Arroyo or Beede or Shaw.

Archived