Broncos sign WR Sutton to new deal

BroncoSojia

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Admittedly, I'm not very knowledgeable on the class. I was thinking DJ Uiagalelei was the top guy going into this season, and he's fallen out of that spot. Spencer Rattler might be able to salvage his stock with a bounceback year at Ole Miss next season. Bryce Young, maybe? CJ Stroud? Tyler Shough?

It's stronger than this class maybe, but I don't know if it's a GREAT class.

we won't know if it's great for another year, but Stroud and Bryce Young would likely go 1st and 2nd if they could come out this year.

Just now, Jeezla said:

we won't know if it's great for another year, but Stroud and Bryce Young would likely go 1st and 2nd if they could come out this year.

Now... is that a function of how these guys are as QBs, or is this a function of this current class not really living up to any sort of standard?

Legitimately curious on your view.

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Now... is that a function of how these guys are as QBs, or is this a function of this current class not really living up to any sort of standard?

Legitimately curious on your view.

Stroud has all the tools, solid size, and might win the Heisman if Pickett doesn't. Bryce Young is going to get a lot of questions regarding his size, but is playing QB as well as anyone. The height isn't a huge issue, but he's listed at like 195 lbs. Still, I'd feel more comfortable with him passing the ball for my NFL team than Carson Strong/Corral/Etc

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Carson Strong is the best QB from this class tbh.

Smart move to lock up Sutton. I am jealous of the Broncos WR core.

The best QB and the biggest medical red flag. I think his arm has gotten a bit overrated tho. It's nothing special, but good enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's how they got into this Drew Lock conundrum... literally, that's exactly what they did.

There's no conundrum (or shouldn't be). Cut him. Carson Wentz last year was a conundrum. Drew Lock is an easy out, the Broncos are just being dumb.

The Falcons and Matt Ryan- that's a conundrum.

Edited by Jeezla

46 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There's NOBODY in this QB class worth moving up for - it's a really weird class, and next years' class isn't shaping up that well either.

Realistically, Denver can probably stay where they're at and get one of the better guys. There's a lot of risk associated with this (nobody really knows what these guys are going to turn into) so taking a page from LAR might be a prudent decision - give up a few FRPs to get an elite NFL QB, and watch those picks end up in the 30s when it's all said and done.

That might be true, but the flipside of this is that Paton is under pressure to upgrade the QB position one way or another. I would agree that a veteran QB is the primary target, but if Rodgers/Russ don't end up being viable options, I could see us trading some picks if the right guy was identified. Wouldn't be happy with it, but it's possible.

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

There's no conundrum (or shouldn't be). Cut him. 

The dangerous part of this is they'll do JUST enough to convince teams they're turning a corner and should progress.

Lock had a few good moments, enough to give him a shot. Knowing then what we know now, yeah it's clear to cut him - but hindsight is always 20/20.

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's how they got into this Drew Lock conundrum... literally, that's exactly what they did.

Exactly. If there's a QB this year and we strike out on a vet, draft him in R1. If he stinks, draft another one next year. Arizona did it. It worked. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Exactly. If there's a QB this year and we strike out on a vet, draft him in R1. If he stinks, draft another one next year. Arizona did it. It worked. 

If you want to go full Arizona, then you also need to hire the QB's college coach to be your HC. Also, your FO isn't Arizona's. If you strike out on that round 1 QB and take Josh Rosen, you are probably going to be stuck with him for 3 or 4 years.

Edited by Jeezla

23 minutes ago, ET80 said:

The dangerous part of this is they'll do JUST enough to convince teams they're turning a corner and should progress.

Lock had a few good moments, enough to give him a shot. Knowing then what we know now, yeah it's clear to cut him - but hindsight is always 20/20.

What's dangerous about it? He's on a round 2 rookie contract. It costs hardly anything to move on at any point. 

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I wanted Sutton this offseason… rough. Wel Denver has a lot of WR’s but what exactly do they do at QB? Looks like that might be tough sledding this offseason. 

First off, with Sutton NOT trying to get Golladay money (4/76M), and also only agreeing to just under 35M in guarantees, this does 3 things:

1.  First and foremost, it makes DEN a really attractive spot for the 3 QB's who likely be on the trade market next offseason.   Jeudy, Sutton, Patrick & Hamler as the top 4 WR's, and Fant/Albert O at TE.  The OL is young, and the T's are both good (Bolles has taken a step back from last year's breakout, but he's still good) to solid (Calvin Anderson, emerging this year as very serviceable at RT).   The IOL is VERY young and has promise.   At RB, you have Javonte Williams ready to kick MG3 to the curb.     A-Rod, Wilson and Watson would all likely ID this place as a top destination.

2.  The relative bargain salaries for both Tim Patrick and Sutton make it so Paton can easily trade either guy.   I say either guy because they both fill the same role.    Sutton obviously is the better player in a vacuum, but Patrick is significantly cheaper.     Point being, if Paton has a team construction issue,  either guy can be traded after 2022, and clear that logjam.  It also allows Paton to confirm that Hamler is back to being OK, and that they can live with a top 3 without one of Patrick/Sutton.   And if Paton can pull off the vet QB salary without dealing either guy, and have a balanced team with the new cap $, more power to him.  But the contracts for both guys likely make moving either totally viable after the 2022 season.

3.  Finally, both Patrick & Sutton's contracts are going to look even WAY better by next offseason, and like massive bargains by the 2022-23 offseason.  Why do I say that? Becusae the new TV contract money kicks in full force by 2022-23 (and already pushes up the cap a healthy 220M minimum this offseason, could be much higher).   It's a major reason why teams are looking to lock up young guys now - they know when the cap #'s are released, the top end contract $ is only going to go up.

Finally, an important point - Sutton's actually had a down 2021.  Obviously Teddy B has his share to blame, but Sutton's the clear #2 to Jeudy now.    There are weeks he's the #3 guy target wise, too.  This should come as no surprise, though.    Year 1 post-ACL you don't get back all your explosion.   And that difference is massive when it comes to peak performance.  Obviously Sutton can still play, but his peak athletic skills don't return for 18 months, so that's 2022.    Still, with his skill type, he's always going to be the #2 if you have a guy who can win/separate like Jeudy.    On a team without those type of players, Sutton could be a very serviceable #1 - but he's going to be a well-paid #2 for the time-being.   If we land the elite vet QB in 2022, don't be surprised if either Patrick or  Sutton get moved in 2022-23, though, to help balance the team more.   

As a move to bring in a vet QB, though, and at these bargain rates - nothing but applause for Paton.   The contract flexibility with both Patrick's & Sutton's deals really gives Paton a lot of ways to go after 2022 - but for this offseason, he's doing everything he can to make DEN look uber-attractive to the 3 QB's who can pick their trade destination (think Watson still headed to MIA, obv no sane DEN fan is minding the thought of A-Rod or Wilson wearing DEN colors next year).    If Paton doesn't end up with a top elite QB available in trade, then sure, it could be Rd1 -  but Paton's MIN history also says going with a vet is Plan A.   Making DEN's supporting cast as appealing as possible fits this MO to a T.

Edited by Broncofan