Broncos sign WR Sutton to new deal

BroncoSojia

5 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

The ol "I said something, contradicted myself, and didn't really have anything to come back with".

you remind me of the Falcon fans at the beginning of the year who said Matt Ryan has at least 3 more years because Tom Brady is playing well into his 40's. The Cardinals are literally the only team to draft a QB in round 1, then draft another the next year. Everyone else usually holds on to that Josh Rosen pick for 3 years, then gives it another try.

And does ET80 just like any post that goes against me? What an obsessed weirdo.

Edited by Jeezla

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

The Cardinals are literally the only team to draft a QB in round 1, then draft another the next year. Everyone else usually holds on to that Josh Rosen pick for 3 years, then gives it another try.

But ask yourself - is the reason that teams don't do this because it can't work (as you're suggesting), or is it just because everyone else hangs on to their poorly chosen QB too long and is archaic in their thinking that QB's should be given 2, 3, 4 years to show they are good enough?

I think the best counter argument to the idea of selecting QB's in back to back years is that it will obviously impact the overall structure of the team, in that you are using multiple 1st round picks at a position you can only field one player at a time.

However, in my opinion, this is countered by the fact you are increasing your chances of finding your answer at QB, which is (without doubt) the most important step to sustained success.

Just now, lomaxgrUK said:

But ask yourself - is the reason that teams don't do this because it can't work (as you're suggesting), or is it just because everyone else hangs on to their poorly chosen QB too long and is archaic in their thinking that QB's should be given 2, 3, 4 years to show they are good enough?

I think the best counter argument to the idea of selecting QB's in back to back years is that it will obviously impact the overall structure of the team, in that you are using multiple 1st round picks at a position you can only field one player at a time.

However, in my opinion, this is countered by the fact you are increasing your chances of finding your answer at QB, which is (without doubt) the most important step to sustained success.

I wouldn't know for sure, but I would assume it's because GM's don't want to get fired for striking out on a QB every year. How many chances do you get to pick the right QB before ownership fires you and moves on to the next GM?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I wouldn't know for sure, but I would assume it's because GM's don't want to get fired for striking out on a QB every year. How many chances do you get to pick the right QB before ownership fires you and moves on to the next GM?

This is a fair rebuttal. But that to me is your GM thinking what's best for his job security, not what is best for the long term success of the team.

I guess it would require an understanding Owner who has been fully briefed on the approach.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This is a fair rebuttal. But that to me is your GM thinking what's best for his job security, not what is best for the long term success of the team.

I guess it would require an understanding Owner who has been fully briefed on the approach.

Taking a QB in round 1 every year doesn't seem like the best way to build a team, especially since you can win a SB with Nick Foles or Joe Flacco, because football is a team sport through and through. If you wasted 4 first round picks on bad QB's before finally finding your franchise QB, your team surrounding that QB probably sucks, and now you have the Deshaun Watson Texans. A good QB on a bad team that never does anything. As a fan, I would also probably demand the GM get fired after his 2nd QB whiff, let alone 3 or 4 (unless he's a savant at nailing day 2 and 3 picks)

Edited by Jeezla

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

A-Rob is going to be rightfully in heavy demand.    The silver lining is that he's barely put any mileage on this year (I kid...kinda).

I dunno about heavy demand, but there will be some demand. Going to 29 headed into next season. Likely only has 2-3 good years left. Not 2020 good, but good enough.

Edited by Jeezla

17 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Taking a QB in round 1 every year doesn't seem like the best way to build a team, especially since you can win a SB with Nick Foles or Joe Flacco, because football is a team sport through and through. If you wasted 4 first round picks on bad QB's before finally finding your franchise QB, your team surrounding that QB probably sucks, and now you have the Deshaun Watson Texans. A good QB on a bad team that never does anything. As a fan, I would also probably demand the GM get fired after his 2nd QB whiff, let alone 3 or 4 (unless he's a savant at nailing day 2 and 3 picks)

I totally disagree. I actually think Nick Foles and Flacco are perfect examples of why a franchise QB is so important. Their Superbowl wins were very much flash in the pan in terms of the overall success of their teams and how often they were genuine challengers. 

For sustained success, you need a franchise QB. 

I think the Texans are an outlier. Their roster mismanagement is not exclusive due to mismanagement of 1st round picks; it's the lion share of their roster decisions, but in terms of draft picks and free agents.

Anyway, it's clear we aren't going to agree here.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2021 at 4:00 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

I think the Texans are an outlier. Their roster mismanagement is not exclusive due to mismanagement of 1st round picks; it's the lion share of their roster decisions, but in terms of draft picks and free agents.

Bingo - in his rookie season, Watson was looking at a good OL with an elite LT in Duane Brown, an elite WR in DeAndre Hopkins, a top tier #2 with Will Fuller, a defense led by the likes of JJ Watt, Kareem Jackson, Jadevion Clowney, Justin Reid - it was a good roster, quite literally anyone with half a mind for football could have managed that into a formidable unit and probably squeezed out a AFCCG out of it.

Once Bill O'Brien started making roster decisions, everything fell to disaster...

• Like 1