Players that weren't outrights busts, but generally disappointing?

biggie.

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eh... I think he always was, but he got caught up by that San Francisco 49ers machine (Walsh, Montana, Rice, Lott, etc) that was the dominant species in the NFL during the 80s/90s.

He only lost to the 9ers once in a SB. 

Looking back, I actually feel like, even though the numbers were pretty blah, that Elway basically carried the offense on those 3 80s SB teams, and that him willing those teams to an annual slaughter was quite possibly MORE impressive than the wins in the late 90s. Those 90s teams had a HoF RB in TD, and on any given day, the worst of Smith, Sharpe, and McCaffrey would've been the best receiving threat he'd EVER played with prior to 1990. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, candyman93 said:

Ted Ginn Jr?

Was literally just thinking this right before I scrolled down and saw this. When he was picked it seemed like the world was ending because everyone wanted Brady Quinn, a lot of people made it seemed like Ted Ginn was a bad pick because he was a bad player, he was actually a great prospect/player, it’s just that no one thought we would pass on a QB that year, especially with Quinn sitting there. Looking back I can remember being disappointed, Nick Saran had just left, we didn’t have as good a season in 2006(6-10), as we had in 2005(9-7), Culpepper was suppose to save us, that didn’t work, Harrington won us a few games, even Cleo Lemon, who would throw the pass that single handed saved us from a winless season the next year, made a start. Supposedly Saban benched Culpepper after week for because he wanted Daunte to regain the mobility in his shoulder he lost while recovering from the knee injury, there’s also reports Saban benched him because they had an argument. If so Saban I believe Saban is single handedly responsible for setting us back about 3-5 years. Who knows maybe Culpepper could’ve started to gel with the offense especially when Ri it came back and Ronnie and Ricky were the best tandem in the league. Anyways back to Ginn, Saban left, we hired the offensive “mastermind” from San Diego, Cam Cameron, what a name, I really wish he would have taken Quinn, maybe Cameron knew he wouldn’t be that good and thought he couldn’t fix Quinn to be a good QB but I really feel like that pick, coupled with a 1-16 year are the reasons he was fired afterwards one year. Man I wish we could’ve at least taken the chance on Quinn and at least tried to develop him. Ginn had a decent Career, better and longer than Quinn but I guess Cam Cameron thought John Beck (2007 2nd rnd pk.), Trent Green(concussed, put on IR early in the season), and last years hero, Cleo Lemon were Better options for cam Cameron to bet his career on. But ya I feel like Ted Ginn just didn’t feel wanted by the fans forsure and most likely some of the players there that wanted a QB finally to lead them, the first after Marino.

Edited by Jdolphins18
  • Like 1

I think at this point Leonard Fournette would be a clear nominee.

Guy clearly has talent, he is able to catch fairly well, can lower his shoulder and get some YAC, and has been able to be productive for several of his seasons, and even played well in the postseason too, having 8 TDs in 7 games and averaging around 100 yards from scrimmage per postseason game.

But all the predraft talk of him being compared to AP was ridiculous.

Edit - just saw he was mentioned. Should have went past 2-3 pages it seems.

Edited by Sugashane
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2021 at 6:52 AM, ET80 said:

Eh... I think he always was, but he got caught up by that San Francisco 49ers machine (Walsh, Montana, Rice, Lott, etc) that was the dominant species in the NFL during the 80s/90s.

Going to agree with ET that Elway was a home run as a draft pick and exceeded the hype.

He was not a stats guy He was a make plays and win guy. Then, in the Shanahan system, he became a bit of a stats guy at the end too.

His mobility and cannon of an arm made some mediocre teams into SB teams and later very good teams into champions.

He ran for 6 TDs in the playoffs on those 5 Super Bowl teams.

I'm not pretending the 2 SB wins were not led by Terrell Davis, but Elway was still a huge part of it.

The first 3 SBs were pretty much Elway carrying those teams.

Here is what the other QBs did in those first 3 SBs.

• Simms 22-25 268 3 0 150.9
  • Williams 18-29 340 4 1 127.9
  • Montana 22-29 297 5 0 147.6

Which of those games was he supposed to win?

Elway has 14 playoff wins and 6 of them were Game Winning Drives. Only Brady (14) has more.

Rodgers and Peyton Manning have 2 each

Elway averaged 10 wins a season from year 2 through 7. (one of those years was 12 games (87 strike))

He averaged just under 10 (79 in 8 years) from years 9 through 16.

On 12/8/2021 at 10:33 AM, Phinsesq said:

I consider Stafford much like Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson etc situation(s) to be disappointing rather than an indictment on what they brought to the game. 

Stafford is a good QB and was fine for a #1 pick becoming a franchise guy.

Any BS about him being top 5 or elite is just that. Dude chokes in the clutch big time. He always has and always will.

Detroit had some good teams and he still failed. He's been exposed on the Rams in about 4 games already.

Some guys get a woe is me PR machine for having to throw to Calvin Johnson.

Some guys lose 3 times with playoff teams and then the PR machine pretends they were bad playoff teams.

I get that Party Bus stole his chance in Dallas but the 3 turnovers did not help either.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, Packerraymond said:

For the Packers, Eddie Lacy is who comes to mind. Hurricane Katrina robbed him of his childhood so he was kind of a big kid at heart. Didn't take the game seriously in the off-season and fell out of shape. Those first two years though, man did he have some gifts for a big back. Totally believe there wasn't a huge drop from Henry to him if he had the same drive to be great. Just didn't love football though. Only thing he was missing was top speed, the balance, vision and nimble feet, all elite.

I think that Lacy could have been a Bettis like back. That was the best comp I could think of. Just a big, round, nibble guy. Lots of fun to watch

On 12/8/2021 at 12:18 PM, iknowcool said:

Barkley's disappointment comes from being injured.  Still disappointing, yes, but it wasn't like he was being incorrectly billed as a generational talent.  He was THAT good.  Over 2,000 YFS with great efficiency as a rookie.  Even his "underwhelming" sophomore season saw him have 1400 YFS in 13 games with solid efficiency.  

His numbers would still be among the best in the league if he never got hurt.  So it definitely was fair for him to be billed as a generational talent, because he was.  It will be a long, long time before we see another RB built like him with his level of agility/elusiveness.

Even in his rookie year he was a very "empty calories" type back, with that play-style that tends to make your line look even worse than they are and kills too many drives. Very little impact on our offense.

Edited by redsoxsuck05