2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

16 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Greg Gabriel said he was there yesterday and he seems to be somewhat in the know right now. DBB posted yesterday that the visit had happened and ended. Makes me think this is visit #2, which would make you think an offer sheet is imminent.

Go get em! Gotta get some of these people off the ledge, Poles! 

I’m not on any ledge.  Just calling it like I see it in real time.  I will judge roster in July.  

13 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I’m not on any ledge.  Just calling it like I see it in real time.  I will judge roster in July.  

I wasn’t intending to refer to anyone here specifically. Agree on July. Maybe even August. Roster building isn’t an overnight process by any means. 

• Like 1

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

I wasn’t intending to refer to anyone here specifically. Agree on July. Maybe even August. Roster building isn’t an overnight process by any means. 

You should at least have a viable team in place by mini camps.   We can make an initial judgment then. 

I do like athletic profile and upside of some of guys signed this far, but no true difference makers have been added to roster and true difference makers have left.   

Much work is left to do.  

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

A lot of Buffalo fans believe it's a no brainer that the Bills will match the offer, fwiw

They may, but they have other reasonable options for sure.

They already have Cody Ford on their roster and under contract for 2 more years, and just drafted Tommy Doyle in R5 last year who may be able to slide inside. They also have 8 picks in this draft and not many needs, and could choose to go that route and lock in a replacement at a minimal cost for 4 years. 

• Like 1

So if we get Bates, still TBD, we now have 5 locked in Lineman for a legitimate 7 contributor spots. And still plenty of Free Agents, plus more vet cuts coming plus the draft. So even if he does get matched by BUF, we are completely fine. It’s just that some of you are enamored with big names and expensive contracts. 

Not to mention, every lineman we are counting at this point is position versatile. All of them could be plugged in at multiple spots along the line if someone does get hurt, or completely under preforms. Which is why I’m not worried at all, as we can slide some guys around, if we feel a major upgrade at OT or C becomes available 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Colts, according to Locked on Colts, never even asked about Baker.  Not interested at all.  

Makes sense to me. Baker is essentially 2022 Wentz, no? A guy with talent and some really good stretches of play on his resume, but who is far from a proven top tier guy, and from whom his current team was more than willing to move on despite the top of the draft investment. Personality conflicts with some on the roster seem apparent. I think there’s a perceived soft mentality when it comes to outside criticism too. 

I don’t think it’s hard to see why teams aren’t falling all over themselves to bring him in as the potential face of the franchise. Especially after how things played out with Wentz last year in Indy. 

7 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

So if we get Bates, still TBD, we now have 5 locked in Lineman for a legitimate 7 contributor spots. And still plenty of Free Agents, plus more vet cuts coming plus the draft. So even if he does get matched by BUF, we are completely fine. It’s just that some of you are enamored with big names and expensive contracts. 

Not to mention, every lineman we are counting at this point is position versatile. All of them could be plugged in at multiple spots along the line if someone does get hurt, or completely under preforms. Which is why I’m not worried at all, as we can slide some guys around, if we feel a major upgrade at OT or C becomes available 

Stop it with all this damn grounded logic and common sense. Don’t you know how the internet works??!  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

A lot of Buffalo fans believe it's a no brainer that the Bills will match the offer, fwiw

It'll all depend on the structure.

If the Bills valued him as high as their fans think then wouldn't they have just tendered him at the 2nd round level for about ~$4M ?

Bears can offer that as a starting point

24 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

It'll all depend on the structure.

If the Bills valued him as high as their fans think then wouldn't they have just tendered him at the 2nd round level for about ~$4M ?

Bears can offer that as a starting point

They didn’t start him over Ike Boettger (who stunk) until Boettger got hurt late in the year. Then they hit him with the RoFR tender. It seems the team wasn’t that high on him.

If they think he tops out as an average starter or a solid backup (which their tender suggests) then letting him go in favor of a vet FA and/or a draft pick is probably the play for them over paying him significant money and probably a multi-year guarantee. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

They didn’t start him over Ike Boettger (who stunk) until Boettger got hurt late in the year. Then they hit him with the RoFA tender. It seems the team wasn’t that high on him.

If they think he tops out as an average starter or a solid backup (which their tender suggests) then letting him go in favor of a vet FA and/or a draft pick is probably the play for them over paying him significant money and probably a multi-year guarantee. 

Their tender suggests they aren’t even ready to commit to him as a starter for 2022. 

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

They didn’t start him over Ike Boettger (who stunk) until Boettger got hurt late in the year. Then they hit him with the RoFA tender. It seems the team wasn’t that high on him.

Right, and theoretically wouldn't Bates signing with us contribute to their comp pick formula?

40 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Bates would mean we do not have an obvious starting spot empty.

I think the discussion then would become about increasing the ceiling of the group. Whitehair isn't good anymore. Patrick is solid and likely nothing more. Bates is as big a wildcard as the OTs.