2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Every Bears signing is a good one. Please like my team.

Dude, Poles is cooking. Our depth is going to be off the hook… if only we only had starters.

I kid. This signing is fine. He will make the team and is cheap which is what our D signings needs to do.

Edited by WindyCity

5 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Borom was a below-average starting OT. Jenkins played 2.5 games that ranged from awful to OK. How anyone can aver that being "fine" is their floor is a mystery. That's the best level of play we've seen from either of them. And we only saw it sporadically.

The truth is you can't declare a young player's floor with any certainty. James Daniels got worse. Mustipher got worse. Not every guy improves after his rookie season.

I’ll disagree about what we saw from Borom and Jenkins, but that aside, I agree that not every player improves from their rookie season. But, if the FO agrees with me that what they saw from Borom and/or Jenkins was at least “fine” then “fine” as a rookie usually gets you the opportunity to show growth. If the standard is anything other than immediate upper echelon play earns you a demotion then the standard is flawed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Dude, Poles is cooking. Our depth is going to be off the hook… if only we only had starters.

I kid. This signing is fine. He will make the team and is cheap which is what our D signings needs to do.

He’s a ST player. Apparently a pretty decent one. Other than him being a U of A guy there’s nothing to dislike here. 

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

What do people think of Eric Fisher?

It would be tough for the don’t over pay crowd and the Poles likes the young OTs crowd.

It would be an upgrade in terms of reliability… not sure how much I would pay for that.

If they’re not satisfied with Borom or Jenkins at tackle then Fisher is a guy who makes a ton of sense. 

1 hour ago, TitanLegend said:

Cruik is super solid. Only issue with him is tends to be injury prone, but when on the field, does a really solid job against TEs and slot receivers.

I liked him coming out of Arizona... scrappy player.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Worth consideration as well, I suppose. Although I'd prefer they straight up get another guard. 

I would have preferred Poles be more aggressive on the OL and WRs in particular, but with a competent OC and OL coach he may be able to get the best out of them. Clearly he has no issues with how things have shook out so far.

If Fields is getting the hell beat out of him (beyond a few games anyway), I'll be calling Poles an idiot soon enough.

27 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

I like it

Me too. At worst he’s a 4-phase ST. But I like this too:

A physical complement to Jackson has been lacking since Amos left is sorely needed. Jackson hasn’t been the same since Amos left.

Core ST floor with starter upside. Fits the offseason mold. 

• Like 2

Just now, AZBearsFan said:

Me too. At worst he’s a 4-phase ST. But I like this too:

A physical complement to Jackson has been lacking since Amos left is sorely needed. Jackson hasn’t been the same since Amos left.

Core ST floor with starter upside. Fits the offseason mold. 

His deal is 1 year 1 million fully guaranteed. So good amount for the Bears and he is guaranteed a roster spot.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

His deal is 1 year 1 million fully guaranteed. So good amount for the Bears and he is guaranteed a roster spot.

Agreed. Basically he replaces Deon Bush, but with more upside. The role they show here is one we didn’t have anyone for last year. His ability to play effectively in a big dime coverage should help cover up insufficiencies in the CB depth even if he’s not able to earn a bigger role.

• Like 1

Really interesting how the Titans line up on defence…

Base: 24.8% (18th in the NFL)

Nickle: 52% (26th in the NFL)

Dime: 23.2% (5th in the NFL)

IMO every Base D in the NFL these days should be 4DL, 2LB, 2CB, 3S…what the Titans seem to be doing is playing there Base defence then rather than moving to a Nickel jumping straight into a Dime…meaning they play a 4DL, 1LB, 3CB, 3S…allows them to get as many athletic players on the field as possible…Jayon Brown played that nickel linebacker role but Cruickshank played that 3rd safety role where he plays down over the TE…that is something we have missed for a long time…I don’t see Cruickshank as a starter but I do expect him to play a lot of snaps when we play move TEs.

Looking at what Poles has signed so far there are another few players I could see landing here given there age, wage demands and that their best football could be in front of them...

DT...Taylor Stallworth...Colts

CB...Blessuna Austin...Seahawks

CB...Kevin King...Packers

S...Terrell Edmunds...Steelers

S...DeShon Elliott...Ravens

• Like 2