2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

Just now, Heinz D. said:

You honestly believe Mooney as a #1, and Pringle as a #2. or #3 is worse than Trubisky's rookie year?

???

I literally said it would be better than what Tru got his rookie year. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Its all good. I'm not exactly known for proofreading too much here. lol

Yeah...my head is simply not right tonight. Nothing to be concerned about, but I'm not firing on all cylinders.

Not that I ever am, but still...

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah...my head is simply not right tonight. Nothing to be concerned about, but I'm not firing on all cylinders.

Not that I ever am, but still...

That's my life. The first carpenter I ever worked for (besides my brother) use to tell me, "You could place 4th in a spelling bee and be the only one competing."

That was one of the nicer things he would say to me for fun. Miss that grumpy prick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears have 32 open roster spots still. 

33% of this roster isn’t even here yet.

True, but 60% of those guys are camp fodder, and only the top 51 count against the cap. We’re also set to add $7.28M in additional cap space on 6/2 after the Cohen and Trevathan cuts hit the books, and probably at least a few million more if/when we extend Roquan. A few end of the bench UDFA contracts and at least 6 non-1st round rookie deals and we’ll have about $15-20M or so in cap space for about 6 signings plus in season needs. I’d guess at least 1-2 of those are veteran minimum salary benefit deals too (Jesse James? A depth safety?).

It’s gonna be pretty tight (that’s what she said), but that’ll happen with over $50M in dead cap. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

???

I literally said it would be better than what Tru got his rookie year. 

Trubisky was thrown to the fire with nothing around him. I thought the system would work for him, but its hard to overcome a lack of talent around you.

Can the Bears afford to get more help around Fields? I can't say I'll root for him in Chicago, but he deserves more than what Trubisky got.

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Trubisky was thrown to the fire with nothing around him. I thought the system would work for him, but its hard to overcome a lack of talent around you.

Can the Bears afford to get more help around Fields? I can't say I'll root for him in Chicago, but he deserves more than what Trubisky got.

They have the money for sure. Still have like $15 mil left and that is with all the dead cap and a pair of contracts that should come off the books come June 1st. Contract structure can be worked, Roquan can be extended and have his 2022 cap hit lowered, etc. Can't go on a crazy spending spree but there is plenty to work with.

That being said Poles is showing he has no inclination to rush. While I would have liked to be more proactive with OL and WR I can't say I'm too displeased. If the new OL coach and OC let Fields get beat down like Nagy did I'll be roasting them, but I'm going to assume competence until proven otherwise. Dude definitely has a pair to stick to his guns though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Are you seriously complaining about camp bodies now?

Fellas we’ve hit a new low

I am not complaining. Did you read any of the previous posts? 

We were talking about the possibility of adding back Larry O. The issue being that they still have a number of roster spots to fill. 

Many of those roster spots are not camp bodies, but likely 53 man roster guys, and if they spend bigger money on Larry O that those guys are going to be harder to add.

With 32 open roster spots they will add a number of veterans and 16 million will not go as far as we think… even less so with 5-7 million going to Larry O.

48 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

True, but 60% of those guys are camp fodder, and only the top 51 count against the cap. We’re also set to add $7.28M in additional cap space on 6/2 after the Cohen and Trevathan cuts hit the books, and probably at least a few million more if/when we extend Roquan. A few end of the bench UDFA contracts and at least 6 non-1st round rookie deals and we’ll have about $15-20M or so in cap space for about 6 signings plus in season needs. I’d guess at least 1-2 of those are veteran minimum salary benefit deals too (Jesse James? A depth safety?).

It’s gonna be pretty tight (that’s what she said), but that’ll happen with over $50M in dead cap. 

We are on the exact same page. They have about 16 million for 6-7 more veteran additions.

That is going to be tight, but doable.

But it probably eliminates them from adding someone making 5 million plus in 2022, especially at a position that isn’t a glaring need.

OT-3

OG-3

WR-2

CB-4

LB-2

LB-1

Jesse James-1.5

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

We are on the exact same page. They have about 16 million for 6-7 more veteran additions.

That is going to be tight, but doable.

But it probably eliminates them from adding someone making 5 million plus in 2022, especially at a position that isn’t a glaring need.

OT-3

OG-3

WR-2

CB-4

LB-2

LB-1

Jesse James-1.5

Pace really screwed the new guys.

Just now, The_Romen said:

Pace really screwed the new guys.

The sheer number of open roster spots was incredible. 

Only having 28 guys under contract for the 2022 season was amazing. The volume of guys that needed to be added and only handing over 5 picks was a real master stroke by Pace.

• Like 1

The Bears get 7 million back from Cohen and Trevathan on June 1. The draft class will cost 2.8 and that leaves enough for the in season money.

They also get 700k back on every free agent signing as they are all now pushing someone off the 51.