2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

On 3/5/2022 at 7:31 AM, StLunatic88 said:

You are naive if you think that’s the only reason they are moving on. If he was still the stud you guys are talking him up to be, they would keep him. You can always create cap room. 

Not saying he isn’t a good WR, but his nagging injuries have always held him back, and that’s not getting better as he approaches 30.

I’d rather find a weapon that will grow with Fields for a long time. Not a stop gap that will be an overpaid anchor to the roster in a couple years

My take is he has left a sour taste in Dallas because of poor play in big games and he saves them a lot of money.   They don't think Gallup or Wilson are a large downgrade and are cheaper so it is a no brainer.    Many say his poor play was due to injury and when he was healthy he was awesome.   There is some evidence to that effect.   

I wouldn't be upset if we signed him or if we didn't.  Unless we over pay.

Bottom line is Bears have to get some legit offensive weapons to be competitive.  They have only two in Mooney and Montgomery and Bears are reportedly going to run OZ left or right as their base come hell or highwater and not sure if that is Montgomery's game or not.   

Rookies are crap shoots.  Cooper is a legit weapon.   Overpaying for some guys with a rookie QB is okay.  As long as they aren't sitting out injured.

But whether its Cooper or someone else I don't care all that much, but Bears need another dude that other teams need to be worried about and can cross the goal line on day one.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

There was talk of him being on the trade market…..not anymore.

Amazing how so many of these guys can implode in so many ways and multiply their problems.   

He's probably been spending like he is going to be in league another 10 years making top dollar.

1 hour ago, CBears019 said:

There was talk of him being on the trade market…..not anymore.

Dude isn't helping himself...that said a full season suspension is harsh when you consider guys who commit actual crimes someones get away with as little as 4 game suspensions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

They can create over $12m in cap space this year with a simple restructure on his deal. and thats just on  Coopers deal.

If they felt he was integral to the team, they could do it

As others have pointed out...Dallas' other younger, cheaper, wide receivers are quite good. 

It's one of those tough choice scenarios. I can understand why they'd let Cooper walk. Now, we'll just see if it actually happens. 

16 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Dude isn't helping himself...that said a full season suspension is harsh when you consider guys who commit actual crimes someones get away with as little as 4 game suspensions.

Gambling is a special category of punishment because of specter of fixed games.  It has always been 1 year to lifetime ban depending on what you did.  

This is spelled out to players   

Further they all are monitored in all their gambling and it is not a secret that NFL does it.  They would have had to sign off on compliance forms for third party monitoring.

It seems rather innocent in a vacuum, but this is a special level of stupid.   Worse than smoking dope just before combine back in day.  

He didn’t even wager through a buddy.  

Rodgers staying in GB.

Looking like MT may get a starting gig somewhere next year.   Too many teams need a QB and rookie class is not hyped.

But I hate it when teams take a 'bridge' qb and give him no support.   It is setting someone up for failure from go.

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Rodgers staying in GB.

Looking like MT may get a starting gig somewhere next year.   Too many teams need a QB and rookie class is not hyped.

But I hate it when teams take a 'bridge' qb and give him no support.   It is setting someone up for failure from go.

I'm genuinely not certain how to take the Rodgers news, or whether it really matters in terms of the Bears.  Are we pissed GB won't be starting Love? Yes, a little. Are we amazed that they're going to try and shoehorn his salary in again, and hopeful that it cripples the team while he sulks about not having more pass catchers? Yeah probably. Are we puzzled as to why the Dow flipped around by 2 pts on the news? Yes, absolutely. 

Whatever, unless Fields is good it won't matter, and even if he is they may not be relevant until 2023 thanks to last years can-kick of a season. 

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I'd like to see Tru get a shot to compete for the starting gig in NY under Daboll. Gives them a year to test him and add weapons this offseason and next if they don't like the results. 

I can see why some would do it. I mentioned how PIT should try to do a pick swap with us for Foles if they miss on QBs they like. It sucks for the QB but for the franchise it can potentially set them up for years.