2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

16 minutes ago, BP42 said:

With the new money AR is getting and Adams being franchised how much does this now handicap the rest of the team in terms of affording good players? I understand the 2 mentioned are 2 of the very best right now at their positions but this may actually help the Bears, maybe. Maybe. 

Structure will be huge. If Rodgers only wants one more final hurrah then they can structure it so he gets paid and it doesn't hurt them in the cap.  If he plans on paying longer then it may be more advantageous for us 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

And I generally agree with that sentiment. Out of town stupid is 100% something in which I believe. This is different than usual though, because the guy keeping Love from playing happens to be the 2x reigning MVP. If Rodgers were a middle of the road starter the narrative here is almost surely 100% different. 

I don’t think GB doesn’t want Love at all - I just think they (rightly) can’t justify anointing him over keeping a top 5 all time QB still performing at the top of his game, and because of that value to the Packers is highest as a trade piece, no matter how small the return. Love might be a serviceable starter in time (I’m not a huge fan but I don’t think anyone can rule it out yet) but serviceable starter would be a HUGE step backward for GB.

Doesn't really matter as far as the Bears are concerned. He’s not coming here anyway. He’s gonna probably fetch a mid-round pick if they trade him and we certainly aren’t paying that for him to be QB2.

He’s a toolsy project at this juncture which is ideal for a developmental QB2. That our OC already has familiarity with him would be an added bonus. I wasn’t looking any deeper than that on the idea. 

Well I am sure Poles will ask for inside evaluations on GB players.  

Getsy knows better than anyone alive if Love is any good or not.   

• Like 1

I think Seattle must have been forced by Wilson into limiting options of teams or they could have squeezed more out of Denver.

They could have gotten Jeudy or at least Sutton in deal if they pushed.   Maybe that was a Russel thing too.  He didn't want one of his good weapons in Denver taken away.

A 30 year old DL and Fant is weak sauce.

What did Bears offer initially?  Reportedly 3 1's and a player wasn't it?

They would have been able to get Fields if they made same deal Bears did.  

Now they still have to find a viable QB which ain't easy.

6 hours ago, BP42 said:

With the new money AR is getting and Adams being franchised how much does this now handicap the rest of the team in terms of affording good players? 

A lot.

It hinders them a lot.

But...it doesn't mean they can't still win the Super Bowl. 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Seattle did this one year late.

They should have taken the Bears deal.

I guess?

It's being reported that Wilson WANTED to go to the Broncos, though. For whatever insane reason. 

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think Seattle must have been forced by Wilson into limiting options of teams or they could have squeezed more out of Denver.

They could have gotten Jeudy or at least Sutton in deal if they pushed.   Maybe that was a Russel thing too.  He didn't want one of his good weapons in Denver taken away.

A 30 year old DL and Fant is weak sauce.

What did Bears offer initially?  Reportedly 3 1's and a player wasn't it?

They would have been able to get Fields if they made same deal Bears did.  

Now they still have to find a viable QB which ain't easy.

Fant is a stud.

Deal was constructed to make Wilson happy.

Seahawks probably feel Eason or Lock have a shot as a franchise QB...but they'll draft a guy anyway. hedge their bets. It's not stupid, really. It's pretty savvy team building. They'll most likely trade Wagner for all kinds of goodies, too...

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

WR market is getting massacred.

Is it though? Adams was never gonna hit the market and a Williams tag/deal always made sense with Herbert on a rookie deal. Gallup is about to be replaced on the market by Cooper which has been expected for a week or more. Godwin was a bit of a surprise but we probably weren’t gonna be able to meet his market anyway. OBJ is still out there but he’s hurt and probably goes back to LA anyway. Most of that next tier remains intact at least so far, and ARob will fill someone’s WR need and it probably won’t be ours. Still out there a week from FA who were always more realistic for us in various roles:

Christian Kirk, Juju Smith-Schuster, DJ Chark, Russell Gage, Will Fuller, TY Hilton, Emmanuel Sanders, AJ Green, Jamison Crowder, Byron Pringle

For my money, I’d like a multi-year deal with any one of those top 4 (I think I like Gage more than most), a 1-year stop gap from the rest of the guys out there, and a R2/3 pick (Pickens is my guy), and then a value depth signing later in the offseason like Damiere Byrd or something similar.