2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

59 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Collins' agent came out and said he would hold out if not drafted in rounds 1-3.

There's always more to the story. UFA gave Collins a chance to choose his team and negotiate a deal outside of the rookie scale. I'm not sure he would have played for any team who drafted him.

That's fine but I'd draft him and either hold his rights or let him seek a trade prior to the season. 

When he signed with DAL he only signed a 3 year, $1.5 mil deal. Maybe he thought he would get a better deal elsewhere but he got paid less than POD did per year on his rookie deal..

Either he could play and get extended year 3 or he could sit an entire year and try again next year to get a deal. After not getting any trade partners he would likely get the idea his value wouldn't be better with a year away from football. 

24 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Will it though? The Bears have like no one on the roster. Inevitably they have to sign some guys and won't it cancel this out?

There is a minimum fresh hold for it to count...just can't remember what it is 😂...

So if we sign cheapish guys to fill those needs it won't hurt the formula.

32 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Will it though? The Bears have like no one on the roster. Inevitably they have to sign some guys and won't it cancel this out?

It all depends who they sign, which former Bears sign, and for how much.

For example, Bears could wait and sign a bunch of recent cuts that would not qualify for compensation.

25 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

That's fine but I'd draft him and either hold his rights or let him seek a trade prior to the season. 

When he signed with DAL he only signed a 3 year, $1.5 mil deal. Maybe he thought he would get a better deal elsewhere but he got paid less than POD did per year on his rookie deal..

Either he could play and get extended year 3 or he could sit an entire year and try again next year to get a deal. After not getting any trade partners he would likely get the idea his value wouldn't be better with a year away from football. 

Hard to say if he would have played after being drafted. His agents seemed keen on getting to UFA. Here's what one of them said in an interview:

“I ran the numbers. If a guy is drafted, he signs a four-year deal. If he gets a three-year undrafted-free-agent contract, plays well and often, then gets the first-round tender and the player participation pool bonus money, he could be paid better than the 33rd pick in the draft.”

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The comp pick formula is not going to work out for the Bears.

They would have to sign pretty much 0 actual free agents moving forward.

For a team with nothing but massive holes that seems unlikely.

Who's an "actual free agent?" Guys who are cut don't count, and by the look of the first week, I don't think Poles will be signing anyone worth a damn from the players who weren't cut

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I would suspect there are bigger names to come...ESB is just a depth player.

Like who? Only ones I can see are JJSS or Landry. I wouldn't mind Keelan Cole. He might be a solid #4. He seems to do relatively well considering his QB's every year

Jones and OBJ will want too much money. Crowder isn't worth anything anymore. Watkins and Fuller are made of paper mache. 

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He has 16 catches in the last 2 years. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make the 53 man out of camp

He might not. He's a potential guy, though. Certainly not an earth-shaking signing, don't get me wrong. But--new situation, new team? It is an exciting add.