2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think you’re expecting your 2 R2 picks to be starting year 1, and R3 to be an immediate contributor at minimum at most positions. I think that’s pretty reasonable. 

Isn’t that prudent though, especially with a talent deficient team? We need to add difference makers, but we need to raise the floor at a lot of places too. Signing a #3 like Pringle to be a #3 at #3 money with some #2 upside when you don’t have one on the roster, or a known commodity starting LB like Morrow makes all the sense in the world to me. 

Yeah, but odds that your second or third round pick are going to be plus players is not great. 

And there is money in banana stand still.  There is such a thing as being too prudent given circumstances at hand.  You can’t build it all next year.  

You have to put an effective and competitive team on field this year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Landry is still out there too, isn't he? I do think Poles will add another WR and another interior O lineman before the draft. He'll definitely get another tackle. 

Landry would be my number 1 choice but with Pringle probably being slated for the slot I am not sure we do in that direction...an outside guy would seem to make more sense.

55 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah, but odds that your second or third round pick are going to be plus players is not great. 

And there is money in banana stand still.  There is such a thing as being too prudent given circumstances at hand.  You can’t build it all next year.  

You have to put an effective and competitive team on field this year.  

Agreed. Banking from instant impact from 2nd round picks is not backed up by the numbers.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Agreed. Banking from instant impact from 2nd round picks is not backed up by the numbers.

I think a lot comes down to position and what we mean by impact...is the chances a rookie 2nd round QB being an impact player the same as that of a OL? Because we have seen many young OL make an impact...same at WR...

Everything comes down to player evaluation and if Poles gets it right there is no doubt players from all over this draft can make an impact...Peter King was talking about Daniel Jeremiah telling him in this draft some teams will have a guy at #15 who other teams will have at #60...it's just all about finding the right fit for what we want to do.

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think a lot comes down to position and what we mean by impact...is the chances a rookie 2nd round QB being an impact player the same as that of a OL? Because we have seen many young OL make an impact...same at WR...

Everything comes down to player evaluation and if Poles gets it right there is no doubt players from all over this draft can make an impact...Peter King was talking about Daniel Jeremiah telling him in this draft some teams will have a guy at #15 who other teams will have at #60...it's just all about finding the right fit for what we want to do.

What he said. A 2nd round OL, especially an interior OL, should be expected to perform at a starter level right away IMO. What are we asking a R2/3 rookie WR to do certainly matters too. Making an impact does not have to mean being a top tier player from jump IMO. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Armstead Update

-NO beat writer said the only way he was back is if they landed Deahaun.

Brett Kollman said the Bears were heavily involved before the Deahaun pause.

Collins left Cincy and Miami is making a run at him.

If Collins ends up in Cincy we could be in good shape.

I expect Collins to land on LSU North...

The biggest question is around Armstead and what now is the hold up...was he just waiting on Watson or is there not as strong a market out there as he thought? Armstead is a beast when he is on the field but his health is a major question mark...I would probably take the gamble at this point as much to fix the RG spot by moving Jenkins over to the right side and figure out who between him and Borom plays which spot...just interesting that this is dragging on as much when he is clearly the top guy left.

Watching the All-22 of Buffalo vs. Jets from last year where Ryan Bates played the full game at LG...first thing that jumps off the bat is how lean the dude is...Poles isn't kidding when he same body composition is going to be really taken seriously.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Watching the All-22 of Buffalo vs. Jets from last year where Ryan Bates played the full game at LG...first thing that jumps off the bat is how lean the dude is...Poles isn't kidding when he same body composition is going to be really taken seriously.

He look like someone who might make for a decent piece? Good interior depth at least? 

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Armstead Update

-NO beat writer said the only way he was back is if they landed Deahaun.

Brett Kollman said the Bears were heavily involved before the Deahaun pause.

Collins left Cincy and Miami is making a run at him.

If Collins ends up in Cincy we could be in good shape.

Is Armstead really someone we want?

Dude hasn't played a full season in all 9 years of his NFL career and will be 31 by the time the season starts and likely won't come cheap either.

Someone please convince me signing him would be a shrewd move because I'm not seeing it.

I know he has ability but the best ability is availability is it not? And history tells us buyer beware with guys like him ...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Is Armstead really someone we want?

Dude hasn't played a full season in all 9 years of his NFL career and will be 31 by the time the season starts and likely won't come cheap either.

Someone please convince me signing him would be a shrewd move because I'm not seeing it.

I know he has ability but the best ability is availability is it not? And history tells us buyer beware with guys like him ...

An incentive laden contract would be what I would want but he's too big a name to bite on that imo. 

Dude is without a doubt the best FA OL and it isn't really close imo. Problem is you know you will need a back up OT for him specifically, so you REALLY have to bank on the other OT staying healthy. 

You've mentioned the exact reason I'm not rushing to him.  

• Like 2