2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They just don’t do so and if they do start it isn’t at a very high level.

Go look at last years 2nd round. Like 2/10 picks actually played at a high level. Most barely played.

WRs we have seen come on quickly. But OL not as much.

A 2nd round guard should be expected to start IMO, even if they’re not great right away. They should be capable early. If we draft a guard at 39 or 48 and they’re only a depth player in 2022 most people will say it’s a wasted pick or that the pick is a miss. I will agree that tackle sees less year 1 starters from R2. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, Madmike90 said:

Yes because of salary...not just the amount.

I meant to respond to this the other day, but I forgot.  The number of qualified FAs signed and lost plays a factor in the comp pick formula.  If you sign 7 "qualified" FAs (at $3M/year) but only lose 2 "qualified" FAs (at $12M+ year), you wouldn't receive any comp picks.  A decent example of this would have been the Jets in 2021 (https://overthecap.com/compensatory-picks/).  They would have received a 4th round pick for losing Robby Anderson, but they signed 4 FAs and only lost 3.  Same thing with the Lions and Graham Glasgow.

And directly from the CBA itself.

Subject to Paragraph 5 below, only Clubs that have lost more CFAs than they have signed or acquired are eligible to receive Compensatory Draft Selections. 

So if you sign more then you lose, you're immediately ineligible for compensatory picks regardless of value.  The AAV is what determines what draft picks you receive in return.  Right now, the Bears have signed 5 FAs and lost 3.  They'd need to lose 3 more FAs to receive a compensatory pick for Allen Robinson.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

Pringle is offically in the fold...now just need Muhammad (failed medical for Ogunjobi has me jumpy hahaha)

I find it odd it's just a one year deal. It's not like the guy's an unknown. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

I guess the unknown is why he be good enough to step up when he doesn't have Kelce & Hill taking coverage away...I think we are trying to give ourselves as many options in 2023 as possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

He's not an unknown in Reid's system, with Mahomes, and with Hill, and Kelce drawing double teams. He is in a completely different element here. Besides I think some of these guys are here to most bridge the transition. I'm sure if he works out they will consider a longer term deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I guess the unknown is why he be good enough to step up when he doesn't have Kelce & Hill taking coverage away...I think we are trying to give ourselves as many options in 2023 as possible.

I guess. Highly doubtful Pringle flops, though. A one year deal for him seems kinda...dangerous? Hopefully it all works out. 

Just now, Heinz D. said:

I guess. Highly doubtful Pringle flops, though. A one year deal for him seems kinda...dangerous? Hopefully it all works out. 

With the money we have next year I don't think any of these deals are risky...anyone we want to re-up we will have plenty of cash to do so.

8 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

With the money we have next year I don't think any of these deals are risky...anyone we want to re-up we will have plenty of cash to do so.

Agreed, and if he leaves and signs elsewhere after a successful 2022 that sets us up for a potential comp pick in 2024 as well. 

24 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I kind of like it. If he is a solid #2 or a top #3 he will be worth way more than $6 mil per year. Dude is betting on himself and will absolutely be motivated to produce. He saw how much Kirk got paid and likely knows he can get a deal right about between his current deal and Kirk's (AAV wise at least) if he balls out. 

Very interesting Poles mentions special teams...makes you wonder if we see him as a #2/#3 or deeper...wouldn't shock me at all to see two highly drafted WRs who might even come in and take snaps away from him but I think he would offer really stiff competition to anyone who we do bring in.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If you really want to see just how key the 2023 offseason is going to be then just look at what we can do with post June 1st cuts for our three highest paid players…

Robert Quinn…$4.23 million to the dead cap…$14 million saved

Eddie Jackson…$3.99 million to the dead cap…$13.1 million saved

Cody Whitehair…$4.2 million to the dead cap…$9.9 million saved

There is a good chance all three of these guys are gone next offseason…this team is going to look incredibility different over the next 2-3 years.

Bears are looking at so much cap space in 2023 that they won’t need to designate any of these players.

If they’re going to get rid of these guys, the best way would be to trade them for picks during the season. The cap won’t be an issue next offseason.

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears are looking at so much cap space in 2023 that they won’t need to designate any of these players.

If they’re going to get rid of these guys, the best way would be to trade them for picks during the season. The cap won’t be an issue next offseason.

I wouldn't trade any of them in season...we already have a ton of cap space but we shouldn't look a gift horse in the face...the post June 1st cuts make the saving even better and you can never have enough money to spend.