2022 Free agency thread

JAF-N72EX

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

We will need to agree to disagree on that one...plenty of rookies play to a high level from day one as we have seen countless times.

I think “plenty” is an overstatement. A majority of rookie OLmen struggle to contribute as rookies, even if they play a lot.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

I guess my confusion comes from Poles ripping the OL multiple times when he was hired…

Then doing very little to change and improve it in free agency.

If he thought the line was bad enough to publicly call them out, then why is Lucas Patrick the big free agent addition?

I really don’t think they are concerned about winning year 1. 

15 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I really don’t think they are concerned about winning year 1. 

Neither am I. 

I am concerned with Justin Fields' development. 

I am fine going 3-14 as long as Fields isn't running for his life and throwing to bums.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah...the tackles had issues as rookies (won't go as far as "underwhelming")...so that means they're terrible players? How does that make sense to you?  Explain? 

No, it means they shouldn't be the unquestioned starters without any capable veteran competition or even veteran back-ups.

God forbid the Bears actually do something and build depth. Who's going to play if someone goes down? Lachavius Simmons? Dieter Eiselen?

Having no backup options for young players, signing mediocre veterans into major roles, and hoping "coaching" can fix these guys were all major failures of the previous regime. I had hoped the new one would try something different. Bringing in actual talent, for example, would be a start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Neither am I. 

I am concerned with Justin Fields' development. 

I am fine going 3-14 as long as Fields isn't running for his life and throwing to bums.

I think this is where people aren't understanding us. Don't give massive contracts to guys that won't help our best chance at seeing a Superbowl in our life time.

Ogunjobi would've been a great piece to have, but his 8,9,10 sacks would bring us to... 4 wins? Fields going for 4000/30 brings us much closer to 10 wins, would it not?

• Like 2

We are unlikely to find a rookie #2 WR in the NFL Draft. Most non-1st round rookie WRs struggle to produce more than Byron Pringle.

Rookie WRs [non 1st round] to beat the Pringle Line

21: 1/31

20: 5/31

19: 7/26

18: 7/31

About 17% of WRs cleared Pringles 500 and change yards. We are very likely going to be drafting our #3 WR based on the percentages.

The 2nd round is also not a guaranteed rookie starter on the OL.

In the last 4 drafts I would characterize 7/24 guys drafted in round 2 as above average OLmen as rookies [above the James Daniels line].

Now it is better if you isolate just the interior players 7/16 I would say played above the James Daniels line early as rookies.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am very underwhelmed by what he has done on offense, specifically the OL. I think with Fields moving into year 2 your free agent center pieces being Lucas Patrick and Byron Pringle is weak.

Honest question, are you happy with how the start of free agency has gone? 

I am not sure why we should have blind faith in a bunch of guys who have never done the jobs they are currently in? Until they prove something I think it is more than fair to question them. 

I think the difference is that this was about what I expected. Poles said he wants to build through the draft and be selective in FA with guys he sees as fits. He has certainly been selective in FA, and the draft hasn’t happened yet. If you expected immediate gratification after he told you not to, then you’ve set yourself up for that disappointment. Teams consistently year after year draw praise for being patient with the FA market but you aren’t seemingly willing to extend the Bears the time to even get there before putting their head on a spike. Poles may do a good job or may do a terrible job or something between the two, but it’s way too early to draw any conclusions.

Poles chose Patrick over guys like Bozeman and you’re not happy with that, but Patrick was a solid starting center last year, knows the OC, and will be just 29 this year, and in terms of the NFL a young 29 since he didn’t become a full time starter until age 27. He was good enough to start and succeed in GB, but apparently that’s not good enough for you. Not sure why, but that’s your call.

You have lamented for years the Bears’ willingness to lock in average-ish starters to long overpriced deals, but you also now lament when they let an average-ish starter (Daniels) go and sign elsewhere for more than he’s probably worth, and that he hasn’t been immediately replaced at the outset of the FA period, even though average-ish players can be signed on deals for half or less than what Daniels got later in FA while you develop players behind them or draft immediate upgrades in April. It makes it seem like you’re mad just to be mad.

Free agency isn’t just a one-sided deal either. Unless you’re going to pay more than anyone else you can’t really make guys sign here. For example, Juju took $10M on a 1 year deal to play in KC, but that’s an ideal spot for him. His price tag to come to Chicago could very reasonably have been higher.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think the difference is that this was about what I expected. Poles said he wants to build through the draft and be selective in FA with guys he sees as fits. He has certainly been selective in FA, and the draft hasn’t happened yet. If you expected immediate gratification after he told you not to, then you’ve set yourself up for that disappointment. Teams consistently year after year draw praise for being patient with the FA market but you aren’t seemingly willing to extend the Bears the time to even get there before putting their head on a spike. Poles may do a good job or may do a terrible job or something between the two, but it’s way too early to draw any conclusions.

Poles chose Patrick over guys like Bozeman and you’re not happy with that, but Patrick was a solid starting center last year, knows the OC, and will be just 29 this year, and in terms of the NFL a young 29 since he didn’t become a full time starter until age 27. He was good enough to start and succeed in GB, but apparently that’s not good enough for you. Not sure why, but that’s your call.

You have lamented for years the Bears’ willingness to lock in average-ish starters to long overpriced deals, but you also now lament when they let an average-ish starter (Daniels) go and sign elsewhere for more than he’s probably worth, and that he hasn’t been immediately replaced at the outset of the FA period, even though average-ish players can be signed on deals for half or less than what Daniels got later in FA while you develop players behind them or draft immediate upgrades in April. It makes it seem like you’re mad just to be mad.

Free agency isn’t just a one-sided deal either. Unless you’re going to pay more than anyone else you can’t really make guys sign here. For example, Juju took $10M on a 1 year deal to play in KC, but that’s an ideal spot for him. His price tag to come to Chicago could very reasonably have been higher.

I am perfectly happy with the Patrick signing. We just need 2-3 more of them. Lucas Patrick cannot be the biggest addition to the OL.

Poles said 2 things 

1. That he was going to be in wave 2-3 of free agency. 

-But then he was right in wave 1 signing Larry Ogunjobi... so wave 2-3 was more of a suggestion than a rule.

2. That the OL was not good enough. In fact he publicly ripped them.

-He told us the OL was not good enough, in fact he did it in a couple of interviews, and then has done very little to build the unit in free agency. This free agency period does not line up with his harsh assessment of the unit.

Teams who get praised for being patient in free agency are,

1. More talented than the Bears.

2. Not trying to develop a young QB after a wasted rookie year.

Edited by WindyCity
  • Like 1