2021 GDT Week #14 TNF Steelers visit Da Vikings

Steeler Hitman

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Watch out because I got laughed at for suggesting this case right away where they played cover 2, we attacked the seam, but with no eye candy and Ben not looking off either safety they could make a great break on the ball. 

I merely said using the rolling laughing emoji, if this site had one, would be an appropriate response. Because the notion that the QB was going to look off the safeties on that play when there was a single real option in the endzone is pretty funny.

6 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Teams that "protect" leads shell it off and protect against the big play first. They are not going to get caught sending pressure and now we bust one down the seam because the Steelers picked it up properly. They will play a style thats far more conservative and if you wanna string together 8-10 plays go 65 yards and score -- fine, but we took 4 minutes off the clock which is far, far more valuable than the points at that stage of the game. 

It's funny because Ben was picking up chunk yards almost at will. Then because his receivers made contested passes, you get ridiculous posts about how they were supposedly poor throws. They had a 3 play scoring drive and the first play was a run that went nowhere. That certainly isn't how Minny wanted things to go.

The Vikings didn't play as aggressively as they did in the first half, but there were still a number of key moments where they rolled out their pressure looks that were confusing the hell out of the OL in the first half and they continued to play up in the faces of the receivers. 

Really, there are just a number of rather arrogant posters on here who have egg on their face because Roethlisberger almost completed the largest comeback in regular season history last night days after they laughed at the notion not that Ben becomes god in the 4th quarter, but that the offense actually puts him in a better position to succeed than in the previous 3 quarters. 

The gameplan on offense last night for the first 3.5 quarters was utterly asinine. It was ultra conservative and they stuck with it when it was clear as day that they weren't going to run the ball with any real success. You have Warfelg over here acting like a monkey flinging **** because the team ended up with 90 yards on 20 carries, but the team absolutely wasted a golden opportunity to tie the game with three straight runs in the 4th when they were passing on Minnesota at will. They were not running it effectively.

And you guys pat each other on the back for your supposedly reasoned takes. It's comical.

Good god, I'm so tired of the Ben talk. One camp is convinced he's the worst QB in the history of the NFL. The other says he's the still somehow a top 5 QB in the league. Perhaps the answer is, he's neither. He's an average QB right now. He's good enough to win with a talented team, he's not good enough to carry a garbage roster. Both camps continue pushing their argument into nonsensical places and digging their heels in. Take it to PM's, fellas. I, for one, am over it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Nobody here, including Bucky, is in our locker room. Like I suggested, maybe Ben has already talked to Chase. It's not like this is the first time he's done selfish and immature things. Or maybe Ben isn't a good leader. We can't say either is true because we don't know. 

even if brooks is correct about this, it won't make the roster more talented or the coaching much better either.  The team has issues, ben is only a part of this.  Unwatchable, so my commenting will be limited anyways

I rewatched the game last night. Glutton for punishment. But something I found funny, for as much as we talk about wanting to see halftime adjustments or changing something to get the win; the Vikings showed a masterclass in the downfall to halftime adjustments. 

13 hours ago, warfelg said:

I rewatched the game last night. Glutton for punishment. But something I found funny, for as much as we talk about wanting to see halftime adjustments or changing something to get the win; the Vikings showed a masterclass in the downfall to halftime adjustments. 

Something people have to come to terms with regarding Tomlin and this entire coaching staff is that they are extremely reliant on talent for success.    Before anyone jumps on that and takes it out of context....I am not saying that that they should be one of the best teams in the league with marginal talent.   I am saying that, the X's and O's part is severely lacking, and it magnifies our coaching issues.   Tomlin was never a great gameplanner. and I think the Rooney's knew that when they hired him, hoping he would learn from guys like LeBeau....but he hasnt.      He is not a student of the game.    Students of the game grow over time and learn from past mistakes....two things Tomlin has utterly failed to do in 15 years.

I stand by what I said in the offseason thread....this team has gone as far as its going to go under Tomlin.      It was one thing when he had an extremely talented roster to cover up for his shortcomings, but thats no longer there.   Tomlin should go to a team that is already largely stacked and has a good GM and coordinators.        Tomlin's has his strengths, and you could certainly do worse than him.....but this team is in need of a rebuild, and Id rather see a fresh mind take over, rather than waste more years with the same tired ideas that never take us any further than an early playoff exit.

Move on.     Even if we have some dark years ahead.....Id rather have that than just a neverending cycle of being a fringe playoff team that cant do anything in the playoffs like we are under Tomlin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I want to see what this team can do with a rookie deal QB, and it seems unlikely that’s going to happen under Tomlin and Colbert. I think you might be right @43M, it might be time to just move on. I bet we keep the band together and go after a big name QB in the off-season, though. Which will probably be fun too.

ben ties up way too much cap for his $/performance ratio, just a major setback no matter what anyone claims.  Could the QB also play ILB, DL, CB or SS too 🤮

5 hours ago, 43M said:

Move on.     Even if we have some dark years ahead.....Id rather have that than just a neverending cycle of being a fringe playoff team that cant do anything in the playoffs like we are under Tomlin.

it's been like this for years, but now people are reaching the end . I can't even watch much of the games, maybe a total of 10 minutes max in a game this year IIRC, just a waste of time .  There are too  many issues , no single season fix  even if they get a good to great QB because the defence is terrible. I would say the defence is the worst they have had since I have started watching, and leaves it unwatchable .

Tomlin should get his share of blame but I start with ben and his affect on the draft and cap cost. Mason was a wasted pick and that was on ben and his whining. 

This team has a legit DPOY and one of the worst defences, how bad is that?

So I just seen a replay of the claypool fiasco.

That was blown way out of proportion... He was already up looking for the ref, when Turner came over and tried to take the ball 

Then the Vikings guy knocked out it since they were like fighting which is what wasted the time 

Of course you'd rather not see that at all but it was blown way out of proportion if turner never came over the ref would of had the ball and Kendricks wouldn't of been able to knock it out(most likely)

Edited by Cbrunn

1 hour ago, Cbrunn said:

So I just seen a replay of the claypool fiasco.

That was blown way out of proportion... He was already up looking for the ref, when Turner came over and tried to take the ball 

Then the Vikings guy knocked out it since they were like fighting which is what wasted the time 

Of course you'd rather not see that at all but it was blown way out of proportion if turner never came over the ref would of had the ball and Kendricks wouldn't of been able to knock it out(most likely)

I agree, but I think its mainly because Claypool has been acting like a bonehead all year and even dating back to last year.

I really hope he matures this offseason.  He has the talent to be a nice weapon, especially if used right, but he has to grow up a little.

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

ben ties up way too much cap for his $/performance ratio, just a major setback no matter what anyone claims.  Could the QB also play ILB, DL, CB or SS too 🤮

it's been like this for years, but now people are reaching the end . I can't even watch much of the games, maybe a total of 10 minutes max in a game this year IIRC, just a waste of time .  There are too  many issues , no single season fix  even if they get a good to great QB because the defence is terrible. I would say the defence is the worst they have had since I have started watching, and leaves it unwatchable .

Tomlin should get his share of blame but I start with ben and his affect on the draft and cap cost. Mason was a wasted pick and that was on ben and his whining. 

This team has a legit DPOY and one of the worst defences, how bad is that?

To be fair, if this defense had Tuitt and Alualu, it would be notably better.     The secondary/pass defense would still be a disaster, but the run defense wouldnt be nearly as bad and we would have a better pass rush with Tuitt.  And TJ hasnt been 100% most of the year....which is hard to believe.

But yes, with our defense in its CURRENT state, its laughably bad.     Only players worth a damn IMO are Cam and TJ.   People can throw Minkah in there if they want, but I dont believe he is anywhere close to those 2 in terms of what they mean to our defense.    Really hoping we dont give him huge money, but I digress.  

I dont even believe Ben is the biggest issue.     He absolutely needs to retire and shouldve retired after that elbow injury at his age, but I dont believe many QBs in this league would be having much more success.   Statistically maybe, but not in terms of wins and losses.

This team is in clear need of a rebuild, and Id rather just completely start fresh as opposed to doing what we usually do, which is hold on to old pieces that arent working out too long....and that include coaches, scouts, front office personnel and players (toss Art Rooney II in there too...but he isnt going anywhere).

• Like 1

Tough loss guys. My whole family who lives in pgh are so mad at the Steelers. I'm a former fan (who used to root for both PGH/MIN but only root for MIN now).

I think the core of the team is there on offense and defense, but the Steelers are still missing some pieces.

The offensive line isn't good, but getting a long term QB is more important. Hopefully the Steelers don't do to Pickett what they did to Marino. (Yes, I'm still a Pitt Panthers fan lol).

I don't think the Steelers are far off from being a playoff contender, but they just need more juice. Hopefully this gets done soon before the key defensive players are out of their prime.

Good luck the rest of the way. Since I still live 25 minutes outside of the city, I'll be at the PGH/MIN game in 2025! Haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

To be fair, if this defense had Tuitt and Alualu, it would be notably better.     The secondary/pass defense would still be a disaster, but the run defense wouldnt be nearly as bad and we would have a better pass rush with Tuitt.  And TJ hasnt been 100% most of the year....which is hard to believe.

But yes, with our defense in its CURRENT state, its laughably bad.     Only players worth a damn IMO are Cam and TJ.   People can throw Minkah in there if they want, but I dont believe he is anywhere close to those 2 in terms of what they mean to our defense.    Really hoping we dont give him huge money, but I digress.  

I dont even believe Ben is the biggest issue.     He absolutely needs to retire and shouldve retired after that elbow injury at his age, but I dont believe many QBs in this league would be having much more success.   Statistically maybe, but not in terms of wins and losses.

This team is in clear need of a rebuild, and Id rather just completely start fresh as opposed to doing what we usually do, which is hold on to old pieces that arent working out too long....and that include coaches, scouts, front office personnel and players (toss Art Rooney II in there too...but he isnt going anywhere).

no doubt the DL is really a weakness in it's current state. I agree that a total overhaul is the way to go but that won't happen. Doubt I will care anyways, seems as though this game isn't of much interest anymore anyways. The FO letting ben have his way really helped with the decline eventually IMO. It will be time to move on - sooner or later from those responsible for  this current state of the team, just a matter of time now.

• Like 1