Jags fire Urban Meyer; promote Darrell Bevell to interim HC

agarcia34

Just now, KhanYouDigIt said:

We shall see. We have to get an offensive minded HC.

Do that, fire Baalke, retain Cullen as DC and we may be cookin.

There’s plenty of good offensive minds available. Though to be a good HC is another manner. You need someone who not only has a good scheme, but is forward thinking, even keeled, and can connect with players.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xenos said:

McDaniels? So you want more pain and drama?

I wish. 

I've been spared some level of embarrassment by the Raiders by sheer virtue of Urban being such a **** show. 

Our own hire is gonna be lackluster, so at least someone can have it worse. 

(No offense, Jags fans, much love!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Huh? The guy that went 33-31 coaching the Jets and Patriots?

And then after being fired by both went to USC where he dominated, followed by him returning to the NFL and having a great run with Seattle. But if he's not good enough, I can throw out Bill Walsh, Jimmy Johnson, Tom Coughlin, Paul Brown, Don Coryell, D!ck Vermeil, John Robinson, etc. as additional names.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bolts223 said:

So where does this rank among worst HC tenures ever? 

Pretty damn high with a legitimate chance at #1. 

Nothing about it made any sense to begin with. 

Nothing that Urban himself had a hand in deciding yielded a single good result. 

He made news for all the wrong reasons. 

Other guys have flopped, but I can't really recall anyone other than Khan predicting a success here. It was THAT apparent and just kept getting worse and worse without really any light at the end of the tunnel. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

This was needed. Trevor Lawrence can be special. Give him a good coach, and watch him take off. Urban Meyer was a terrible decision from the jump. But Khan at least pulled the trigger instead of spending years watching Urban destroy the team. Guys I think would be interesting fits for the Jaguars are:

1. Kellen Moore

2. Ryan Day

3. Lincoln Riley

4. Byron Leftwich (Yes, I know the history there.)

5. Jerod Mayo

6. Matt Campbell

I have a strong feeling Moore wouldnt even accept an interview with the Jags unless he is just madly in love with Trevor Lawrence. The Jags are the worst run organization in all of football and have been for a while. Yes yes, they made the AFC Champ game. But before and after that has been historically bad. Their GM sucks. Thier drafting kinda sucks. Its just poop from top to bottom. 

I thought it was a really good hire. Urban Meyer certainly had far greater upside than the typical blueprint of the latest hot coordinator.

But once he became a laughingstock this move was inevitable.

Trevor Lawrence has very little touch. That variable alone limited Jacksonville and contributed to Meyer's implosion. A guy like that assumes he'll march right in and win 10+ games. 

Now it will be interesting to see what happens with Lawrence. His line drive dependency and tunnel vision require ultra special skill position talent to bail him out. That's what happened in the championship game vs. Alabama when Ross and Co. were making circus catches on throws that otherwise were destined for the third row. 

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I have a strong feeling Moore wouldnt even accept an interview with the Jags unless he is just madly in love with Trevor Lawrence. The Jags are the worst run organization in all of football and have been for a while. Yes yes, they made the AFC Champ game. But before and after that has been historically bad. Their GM sucks. Thier drafting kinda sucks. Its just poop from top to bottom. 

It’s 1 of 32. We have been crap for a long time but if he believes in Lawrence like you said, that would seal it. Moore would have a lot to work with.

I assume a new GM, QB already in place, 70-80M in cap space, 12 Draft picks (one in the top 5), no state income tax, patient owner (despite this debacle. Urban firing wasn’t about W/L). The main focus of anybody they hire, should be about protecting and getting Lawrence weapons. Anything else and they have failed. It’s about him.

• Like 3