Head Coach Firing/Hiring/Interview Rumors

Broncofan

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You are exactly right that there are more minority defensive coaches. Tomlin and Ron Rivera might be the only ones to actually even win a single playoff game and they are both defensive minded. All the other defensive minded coaches (who are minorities) have flopped super hard.

To be clear, that has nothing to with race. It has to do with offensive/defensive. Theres been a lot of terrible white coaches also. But the most successful coaches in the league right now (Reid, Billy B, Arians, MLF, McVay, Shanny, Taylor) all just happen to be offensive minded white dudes. And yes, I know Billy B is technically a defensive coach, but he has been the offensive play caller as well. I think he could coach any spot on a football field.  

Tony Dungy won a Super Bowl, but you're right, the list is short. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Tony Dungy won a Super Bowl, but you're right, the list is short. 

Not in the last 15 years. That superbowl is so long ago that I almost question if that would factor into trends.

Edited by Matts4313

24 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

He does look pretty slick, and to some extent he is, but he's also a pretty good GM.  I could if we went forward with Spielman / Baalke / Pederson, I could see Baalke having even more trouble with Pederson and then Spielman would just get him out of there, and take over GM duties himself until they found a new GM.

I mean is he a good GM though? He did pick Ponder and signed Cousins… always felt those Vikings were underachievers and they got worse talent-wise with time, and bad first round picks. He seems to think his firing in Minny was not his fault either from the interviews ive seen. 

And like why go through the Charade…isnt that similar to how Baalke got power?

1 minute ago, Chiefer said:

I mean is he a good GM though? He did pick Ponder and signed Cousins… always felt those Vikings were underachievers and they got worse talent-wise with time, and bad first round picks. He seems to think his firing in Minny was not his fault either from the interviews ive seen. 

Every GM has their share of losers, and Spielman was no exception in that regard, but I do think he had a lot of bad luck in the QB department.  Ponder was an absolute failure.  He drafted Teddy Bridgewater, and I think he was actually a very good fit in the Mike Zimmer system.  He was starting to show a lot of promise before he got hurt. 

With 2 weeks before the season (when they were opening a brand new stadium), he traded for Sam Bradford.  Of course, he didn't last the season before being injured, but I do think he was the best option for the Vikings at the time and in that situation.  He did play very well before getting hurt too.

Some Vikings fans argue that he should have stuck with Case Keenum after the 2017 season, but I think Spielman was correct in replacing him too.  At the time I felt that their reason for bringing Cousins in was because they thought he could at least duplicate Keenum's 2017 performance.  I don't think Spielman went into it believing Kirk would ever be elite, but he had just gotten to the NFCCG the year before with Keenum.  He was probably hoping a few more tries with that defense, running game, and QB play might have been enough to get them over the top at least once.  IMO, it was a reasonable thought.  It just didn't work out that way.

As far as whose "fault" it was for his firing, I'm not really sure why they decided to get rid of him.  He had been GM for 10 years, and in the front office for 16 years total.  I do know the Wilfs were very fond of him.  I'd say the failures during the last 3-4 years were more on Zimmer than on Spielman.  Some Vikings fans may disagree though.  Anyway, I think Spielman is a very good GM for the most part.

3 minutes ago, Charles said:

Who cares about very good....Semi-regular competency would be a big step up for the Jags.

Hahaha!  I know you're just kidding, but we've got to shoot for the moon, brother.  Our days of living in the cellar are over.  We have Trevor Lawrence now, and it's a new day for the Jags.  If Joe Burrow can take the Bengals from the cellar to the penthouse, Trevor can do the same for us!

On another note, how's Annie doing?  :)

8 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hahaha!  I know you're just kidding, but we've got to shoot for the moon, brother.  Our days of living in the cellar are over.  We have Trevor Lawrence now, and it's a new day for the Jags.  If Joe Burrow can take the Bengals from the cellar to the penthouse, Trevor can do the same for us!

On another note, how's Annie doing?  :)

She's great...especially when she feels like playing at 4 am 😵

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I really think a big part of the problem for the contingent of black guys interviewing for head coaching jobs is that most of them are DC's and the new fad that teams are all looking for is the young, offensive-minded, McVay types. 

For people who only look at the number of minority head coaches, it may look like these guys are being pushed away because of their color, and in some cases that certainly could be the case, unfortunately, but the fact that many of these applicants in this cycle are DC's could be playing a bigger role than people realize.

Vikings fans, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that even though they might interview someone like Flores, they will probably go for an offensive-minded coach because they just got through 8 years with Mike Zimmer and could be looking to go the opposite way this time.

And Frazier before Zimmer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I mean Cousins has his warts but he’s still an above average QB and has been rock solid in MIN. Wouldn’t really use that as a detriment towards Spielman personally.

MIN has consistently been super talented I feel like for the past several years and underachieved on the field from an outsider perspective imo.

• Like 3

John U. Bacon@Johnubacon

Harbaugh Watch, Day 31: Here Goes

-Harbaugh meets w/MN GM and owners today
-It is NOT a done deal.
-JH has to answer Qs and criticisms, fair and not.
-GM has to convince owners
-Owners can do whatever they like, and often do
-If offered, Harbaugh will accept

Edited by vike daddy

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I mean Cousins has his warts but he’s still an above average QB and has been rock solid in MIN. Wouldn’t really use that as a detriment towards Spielman personally.

MIN has consistently been super talented I feel like for the past several years and underachieved on the field from an outsider perspective imo.

But its Cousins, hes a Bad QB…

I mean what super talent do they have now? Could argue Baalke found some super talent too in SF, but everybody hates that guy

Just, seems like youre gonna go from one snake oil salesman to another if its the case. Khan!!

22 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

But its Cousins, hes a Bad QB…

I mean what super talent do they have now? Could argue Baalke found some super talent too in SF, but everybody hates that guy

Just, seems like youre gonna go from one snake oil salesman to another if its the case. Khan!!

Cousins is better than more than half the QBs in the league. They had a roster ready to compete and went out and got an above average QB to try and make a run. Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, etc. aren’t exactly just there for the taking. Elite QBs are hard to stumble upon.

What super talent? He’s drafted Diggs, JJeff, Danielle Hunter, Kendricks, Dalvin Cook, O’Neil, Anthony Barr, Harrison Smith, etc. over the years. He’s consistently been a very good drafter. He’s had his misses (like everyone), but overall he’s definitely been in the upper echelon as far as talent evaluation.

Are you basing what type of person he is based on how he looks or? 

• Like 1