2022 Offseason Thread

Emerica

1 hour ago, JourneymanQB13 said:

I'm just now watching the replay on NFL Network. Noah looked terrible in that first series. Since he's a former first round pick, I'd imagine we'd either roster him or trade him. I can't imagine we will just flat out cut him. 

I think you are right, especially with how thin Miami is at the position. 

18 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

I think you are right, especially with how thin Miami is at the position. 

Mackenzie Alexander to IR. Igbinoghene's seat is getting a little cooler with these injuries. Hopefully it's nothing serious. FB John Levett also moved to IR. 

Not surprised they let go of Sterling Hofrichter. He shanked a punt horribly on Saturday. It was all over his face after that punt too that he knew that was it for him. Hard to see that reaction, but that's pro sports. 

Also cut Redwine, and UDFA Deandre Johnson. I didn't see much of either to make an assessment. 

On 8/22/2022 at 1:18 PM, JourneymanQB13 said:

I'm just now watching the replay on NFL Network. Noah looked terrible in that first series. Since he's a former first round pick, I'd imagine we'd either roster him or trade him. I can't imagine we will just flat out cut him. 

I doubt anyone is willing to trade anything for him so I expect he will be on the roster, but even with being thin at CB it's going to hurt watching Igby eat up a roster spot from someone playing more competently.

Some reports coming out about us shopping Gesicki.  I would definitely take a 3rd round pick for him, but that would be the low.  When he walks in 2023, we will probably get a 3rd round comp, but that's really a 4th round pick.  Also trading him now will let us clear up over $10 mil in cap space if I understand it correctly.

What the Trade Market for Miami Dolphins tight end Mike Gesicki Might Look Like - Sports Illustrated Miami Dolphins News, Analysis and More

13 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I know it’s a process to trade a guy on the franchise tag. I’d trade him for a league average C or CB.

Absolutely.  While I'm confident that the new coaching staff can find a way to utilize Gesicki's talents, he's not really what they are looking for at the TE position in this offense.  Fins desperately need some solid CB depth with all the injury concerns there.  

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

Absolutely.  While I'm confident that the new coaching staff can find a way to utilize Gesicki's talents, he's not really what they are looking for at the TE position in this offense.  Fins desperately need some solid CB depth with all the injury concerns there.  

I think there will be a few options after roster cuts begin and there are a few veterans out there that we could kick the tires on. Miami has enough cap room to sign someone without moving Gesicki. I'd rather they utilize Gesicki and take the compensatory pick than trade him for a middling CB. 

On 8/25/2022 at 12:49 PM, Phinsesq said:

I think there will be a few options after roster cuts begin and there are a few veterans out there that we could kick the tires on. Miami has enough cap room to sign someone without moving Gesicki. I'd rather they utilize Gesicki and take the compensatory pick than trade him for a middling CB. 

I agree with you on not trading for a CB since I think we will be at full strength at that position before week 4 of the season but change that to Center and I'm all for making that move.  

According to Spotrac we are +$17 mil in cap space right now but we are -$22 mil for 2023.  We can't really afford to re-sign Gesicki and extend Christian Wilkins and IMO Wilkins should be the priority.  Also, it would be smart to clear up cap space for a QB for 2023 be it extending Tua or targeting a Free Agent since we lost our first-round pick (Thanks Flores you dirtbag) we aren't going to have the capital to move up for one of the top 3 in the draft.

When you consider these things, Gesicki seems more like a luxury than an integral piece.

Edited by Swampbilly

Just watched the recording of the final preseason game...I believe Preston Williams played his way off the roster, unfortunately. I really liked him, but he had a rough night and supposedly has struggled at practices. 

I could have rocketed Austin Jackson into the sun for allowing a big shot on Tua. 

The media wants to talk about "will Teddy Bridgewater be put in if Tua struggles?" And I hate it.

1. If any NFL player struggles, yes the backup gets a chance. Also, Tua is turning the corner this year.

2. I think the real question is does Skylar Thompson push Bridgewater for QB2? Thompson has looked great this preseason, so much so that we may end up rostering 3 QBs. 

13 hours ago, JourneymanQB13 said:

Just watched the recording of the final preseason game...I believe Preston Williams played his way off the roster, unfortunately. I really liked him, but he had a rough night and supposedly has struggled at practices. 

I could have rocketed Austin Jackson into the sun for allowing a big shot on Tua. 

The media wants to talk about "will Teddy Bridgewater be put in if Tua struggles?" And I hate it.

1. If any NFL player struggles, yes the backup gets a chance. Also, Tua is turning the corner this year.

2. I think the real question is does Skylar Thompson push Bridgewater for QB2? Thompson has looked great this preseason, so much so that we may end up rostering 3 QBs. 

If I understand the play you are talking about, then I fault Tua for the hit and not Jackson.  Tua doesn't get his first 2 reads and then it looks like he pulls the ball down and begins to roll to his left, which is something he does frequently and with success.  Jackson does a decent job washing his assigned defender out of the play and past the QB.  That play was just poor pocket presence by Tua IMO.  Without using my stopwatch, Tua gets about 4 seconds from the snap to throw that ball and that should be adequate time to make the throw or throw it away.

2 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

If I understand the play you are talking about, then I fault Tua for the hit and not Jackson.  Tua doesn't get his first 2 reads and then it looks like he pulls the ball down and begins to roll to his left, which is something he does frequently and with success.  Jackson does a decent job washing his assigned defender out of the play and past the QB.  That play was just poor pocket presence by Tua IMO.  Without using my stopwatch, Tua gets about 4 seconds from the snap to throw that ball and that should be adequate time to make the throw or throw it away.

It feels weird giving credit to AJ, but I agree.  Tua held the ball too long on that one.