2022 Offseason Thread

Emerica

On 4/28/2022 at 12:57 PM, hrubes20 said:

I wonder if Gesicki could be a trade piece this draft.  He just seems like such a waste on this team, considering he is one dimensional.  Waddle/Hill/Wilson will dominate the targets, or at least they should, and Gesicki can't block a lick.  I suppose he is a big red zone target though, which may be necessary with Parker no longer on the team.  But maybe a team like the Packers would trade a 3rd rounder?  

I totally agree with this.  I would move on from Gesicki for a 3rd round pick.  I would like a 2nd rounder better but a team would have to have a contract negotiation in place with him for that a la AJ Brown trade.

16 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

I totally agree with this.  I would move on from Gesicki for a 3rd round pick.  I would like a 2nd rounder better but a team would have to have a contract negotiation in place with him for that a la AJ Brown trade.

Moving on from Gesicki would be tough. But I get the catch 22 we are in with him, but if he leaves next year via free agency wouldn't Miami recieve a compensatory pick for him anyway?

36 minutes ago, Swampbilly said:

Not sure what it is u r seeing that makes u think he can’t impact the pass game much.  I see that as his strength.  25 QB hurries and 14 sacks with an ACC player of the year award for 2021.  Pass rush is his strength and IMO he was second only to Hutchinson as an edge rusher in the draft.  My nock on him is in the run game, where he is good but not great.  He is a little light in the anchor and occasionally gets engulfed by the mammoth type OT’s.  

I agree with the media draft analysts that the Jets got 3 top 10 picks.

I'm a FSU fan and watched all his games.  He wasn't getting his sacks with terrific moves off the line and abusing OTs.  He had 11.5 sacks, not 14, and many of them came from extended plays.  He's not going to be worthless as a pass rusher obviously, but he's not going to be a guy you need to gameplan against.  Like I said initially, he's stiff for being such a good athlete.

1 hour ago, Phinsesq said:

Moving on from Gesicki would be tough. But I get the catch 22 we are in with him, but if he leaves next year via free agency wouldn't Miami recieve a compensatory pick for him anyway?

Probably would get a 3rd round comp which is essentially a 4th round pick, so I would certainly take a 3rd rounder this year over a 4th rounder (3rd comp) next year.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm a FSU fan and watched all his games.  He wasn't getting his sacks with terrific moves off the line and abusing OTs.  He had 11.5 sacks, not 14, and many of them came from extended plays.  He's not going to be worthless as a pass rusher obviously, but he's not going to be a guy you need to gameplan against.  Like I said initially, he's stiff for being such a good athlete.

Some of his sacks came against subpar competition too like Jacksonville state, and others were clean up sacks where he didn’t generate the pressure.  I didn’t watch every FSU game, because it’s been rough to watch the last couple years lol, but I understand what you are saying.

Nevertheless he has the measurables and there is some nice footage of him using a double hand swipe to beat a D1 OT off the edge, additionally he demonstrated the ability to run the arc on the QB in some of the game footage I watched.  Guy blew up good competition at the senior bowl as well.  Who knows how everything will turn out for any of these prospects but IMO Johnson nailed the pre draft process and had good collegiate production.  That’s more than can be said of the number 1 overall pick and the number 5 overall pick.

The good news is that the Pats and the Bills had mediocre drafts, IMO.  The Jets had a bunch of early picks and had a solid draft, but they're the Jets.  I'm not going to worry about them until they show me they aren't a mess.  It also helps it was a down draft.  They took Wilson at #10, who was the #1 or #2 WR in this draft for most.  He would have barely scratched the top 5 WRs last draft.  

50 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The good news is that the Pats and the Bills had mediocre drafts, IMO.  The Jets had a bunch of early picks and had a solid draft, but they're the Jets.  I'm not going to worry about them until they show me they aren't a mess.  It also helps it was a down draft.  They took Wilson at #10, who was the #1 or #2 WR in this draft for most.  He would have barely scratched the top 5 WRs last draft.  

At least they had a draft. :P

The 2023 PFN mock draft simulator is up.

I tried to trade both 1’s, the 2nd and both 3rds, and next year’s 2nd for the #1 pick, and it wasn’t enough. Will Anderson looks like the second coming of Von Miller and could make our defense elite. 

1 hour ago, Tetsujin said:

The 2023 PFN mock draft simulator is up.

I tried to trade both 1’s, the 2nd and both 3rds, and next year’s 2nd for the #1 pick, and it wasn’t enough. Will Anderson looks like the second coming of Von Miller and could make our defense elite. 

The top picks are likely to be extremely expensive to trade up to in 2023, given the terrific looking QB class.  That simulator is probably accurate in that regard.