The Cleveland Browns MUST BENCH Baker Mayfield IMMEDIATELY

biggie.

6 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Its important to remember how bad that last int was from an officating point of view. 

the corner steps in front of DPJ beyond 5 yards to impede him, then as he turns he pulls on his jersey, sling shots around him to grab the ball. 

it was a 5 yarder and a DPI

And the first pick he thought was a free play after watching a blatant penalty occur on the WR he was looking to target, so he tossed one deep. But, the blatant penalty wasn't called..

The pick where Jarvis fell.. I'm not sure what I think. Likely looks like a bad pass, but can't completely tell IMO. Wouldn't argue against someone that says it was just a bad pass though. 

The pick over Jarvis's head? AWFUL.

• Like 1

Here's my thing. I find it hard to believe that Baker went from playing fantastic last year where it was all coming together.....to complete garbage to this extent.

That's why I think his injury has a ton to do with his recent play this year. That and the fact his WRs are horrible and can't get consistent separation to save their lives.

When he played for a drive in the preseason, he was throwing lasers. Even week 1 against KC this year he threw for 300+ yards and 75% completion. Then the injury happened in week 2 and it's been a Trainwreck ever since.

So while I understand he has been liquid garbage this year, there is pretty clear evidence that his injury in week 2 lines up perfectly with his massive decline in production

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Here's my thing. I find it hard to believe that Baker went from playing fantastic last year where it was all coming together.....to complete garbage to this extent.

Part of that greatness was a completely unsustainable level of lack of interceptions on his part though. He threw like one int in 8 games or something when every other part of his career he's had one of the higher int rates in the league. 

That part of his career is the outlier. The truth is probably somewhere in between. One of those 12-19ers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StatKing said:

I don't know what benching him would accomplish. Nick Mullens isn't going to save their season. Question is how close do Browns fans feel their roster is to a Super Bowl?

The backup is Case Keenum. Mullens is the third string guy

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Part of that greatness was a completely unsustainable level of lack of interceptions on his part though. He threw like one int in 8 games or something when every other part of his career he's had one of the higher int rates in the league. 

That part if his career is the outlier 

Was it though? Because he also shredded his rookie year before Freddie Kitchens got ahold of the offense in his sophomore year.

I don't think he was going to sustain that interception rate from last year but to act like even if he took a step back to reality in that department (maybe a 2:1 ratio) that he still wasn't going to be a above average QB is silly.

All I'm saying is that if you look at his past 2 seasons with Stefanski, there is a direct coorelation to his play falling off a cliff and the torn shoulder injury in week 2 this year.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Just now, Forge said:

Who cares about facts. Just completely useless

I mean what would benching him accomplish? Their season is already lost as far as I'm concerned, I'm already looking at the long term picture with him. Let him get healthy and give him one more year.

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Was it though? Because he also shredded his rookie year before Freddie Kitchens got ahold of the offense in his sophomore year.

I don't think he was going to sustain that interception rate from last year but to act like even if he took a step back to reality in that department (maybe a 2:1 ratio) that he still wasn't going to be a above average QB is silly.

He threw 14 picks his rookie year for a nearly a 3% rate. The next year it was even higher. This year he's back to 2.9% after today. Last year he threw 7 in 7 games and I believe his rate was about 3.5. 

That back half stretch of last year is an extreme outlier right now for his career. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I mean what would benching him accomplish? Their season is already lost as far as I'm concerned, I'm already looking at the long term picture with him. Let him get healthy and give him one more year.

To start with, benching him may help him get healthy.

Secondarily, the season isn't over even if it likely is and there is no guarantee that Baker in his current situation is actually a better option to win games than Keenum

1 minute ago, Forge said:

To start with, benching him may help him get healthy.

Secondarily, the season isn't over even if it likely is and there is no guarantee that Baker in his current situation is actually a better option to win games than Keenum

If you're relying on Case Keenum to save your season then your season is already over. If he wants to play you let him play. The worst thing you can do is make him feel like a lame duck QB going into next year.

Just now, StatKing said:

If you're relying on Case Keenum to save your season then your season is already over. If he wants to play you let him play. The worst thing you can do is make him feel like a lame duck QB going into next year.

If you're relying on this version of Baker Mayfield to save your season, it's already over. Again, this version of Baker may be worse than Keenum and you should still be trying to win games. It's unlikely they get in, but not impossible. 

Also, sitting him or starting him has no impact on him being a lame duck QB next year. Until he has a contract past next year, he's a lame duck QB (though you could argue the existence of the franchise tag would preclude any QB from ever truly being a lame duck). 

Sitting him is not an indictment of his true talent, but rather how he's playing right now because he's not healthy. If he can't understand that, that's a different problem.

I'm not sure how the goal is to get him healthy but also keep playing him so it potentially exacerbates the injury and makes it worse? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

He threw 14 picks his rookie year for a nearly a 3% rate. The next year it was even higher. This year he's back to 2.9% after today. Last year he threw 7 in 7 games and I believe his rate was about 3.5. 

That back half stretch of last year is an extreme outlier right now for his career. 

That back half of 2020 was against 6 if not 7 of the bottom 10 pass D's that year by DVOA.   Fuelled by a power run game and top 6 OL.  

If that sounds familiar, it should - that's what led to Case Keenum's improbable top 12 QB MIN 2017 season.    Baker is better than Keenum, but I think ppl have to realize Baker's shiny 2H 2020 has a **** ton of context and asterisks next to it.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4