The Browns sorry search for pass catchers

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

God I couldn’t even think about that damn. With him it’s dropping the pass vs the ravens not making the tough catch vs the packers and the fumble that happen early in the season

No worries my friend I believe that was his first game.

Our WR’s definitely aren’t good, but Baker since 2018 leads the league with 54 interceptions. He also is the worst ranked QB with four mins to go in a one score game and second worst for 4th quarter Interceptions.

We do need to upgrade our WR’s but Baker is a big part of the problem as well. He had three picks dropped in that last game. 

Now maybe it’s injury related but if it is he shouldn’t be playing. Case or Nick should be and Baker should be on IR. Personally I think injuries aren’t helping but he didn’t throw all those league leading since 2018 interceptions this year.

He is the opposite of clutch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hornbybrown said:

Our WR’s definitely aren’t good, but Baker since 2018 leads the league with 54 interceptions. He also is the worst ranked QB with four mins to go in a one score game and second worst for 4th quarter Interceptions.

We do need to upgrade our WR’s but Baker is a big part of the problem as well. He had three picks dropped in that last game. 

Now maybe it’s injury related but if it is he shouldn’t be playing. Case or Nick should be and Baker should be on IR. Personally I think injuries aren’t helping but he didn’t throw all those league leading since 2018 interceptions this year.

We have the least clutch set of skill players outside of our RBs in the entire league. QB can’t make clutch throws and our WRs/TEs can’t make clutch plays. Baker can’t make the tough throws and our WRs can’t make the tough contested catches

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

We have the least clutch set of skill players outside of our RBs in the entire league. QB can’t make clutch throws and our WRs/TEs can’t make clutch plays. Baker can’t make the tough throws and our WRs can’t make the tough contested catches

Agreed, all this blaming either the WRs/TE’s or Baker when it’s both!! 

Having said that I have seen the great QB’s make average WR’s look way better than they are. If Baker was great our WR’s would look better and if our WR’s were great Baker would look better.

Also think Coach has regressed as a play caller.

Its not one thing but Baker is the biggest part of it

Baker is more a problem than the receivers. 

If you look at this past week we ran alot more 3 WR sets, and were able to move the ball. Till Baker threw picks. Jarvis has been hurt and Schwartz had his concussion. We just dont have what Odell was supposed to be for us. 

I saw it posted in that Mock Draft thread, but I could deff see an offseason trade for Mike Thomas. 3rd and 6th rounder or something. If he's what he was he would be that WR1 to open things up if Baker can get the ball there. 

13 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I think DPJ can be like Tyler Boyd for us, a great no.3. 

Which would be a really nice outcome for a 6th rounder.

I still think the FO thought Juice had a little more left in the tank than he does (or maybe just wouldn’t need to play outside of the slot), OBJ would come back and things would click, DPJ would continue to progress, Schwartz would provide the deep threat, etc., and really DPJ coming along is the only thing that happened.

That said, this FO hasn’t really addressed WR in any significant way.  They’ve fixed the OL and secondary and improved the roster in general, but AB hasn’t went all in on WR with really anyone.  I expect that to change this offseason as that’s likely priority number one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Baker is more a problem than the receivers. 

If you look at this past week we ran alot more 3 WR sets, and were able to move the ball. Till Baker threw picks. Jarvis has been hurt and Schwartz had his concussion. We just dont have what Odell was supposed to be for us. 

I saw it posted in that Mock Draft thread, but I could deff see an offseason trade for Mike Thomas. 3rd and 6th rounder or something. If he's what he was he would be that WR1 to open things up if Baker can get the ball there. 

I mean, maybe the last couple weeks, but even then I disagree.

Besides having someone banged up almost weekly, they’re just not that good to begin with.  DPJ is a high level 3rd receiver, middling #2.  Juice is a slot only guy with no speed.  If we’re being honest that’s a day 3 pick. Schwartz doesn’t look remotely ready to play NFL football.  He’s still young af so I’m not going to day he’s a bust, but holy hell he’s not helping now.  OBJ wasn’t great here and he isn’t great now.  He’s getting more looks and less coverage thanks to Kupp and his production still isn’t great. And that ignores the fact he and Baker had zero chemistry from day 1.  Higgins is whatever.  He’s more or less reliable but can’t beat man coverage.  He’s a 4th receiver.

I posted a link earlier in the year to an espn article where they evaluated play speed of every team's WR’s and ours was dead last in the league.  And this was before OBJ was cut. We have zero explosive players at the position.

Our TE’s are middling at best. Lots of number 2/3 guys, no stud.

Right now Baker has a mediocre at best line with all of the injuries and no weapons.  He does have a good running back or two, but neither is particularly great in the passing game (with Hunt out).  

I guess I’m just not sure what some are expecting tbh.

11 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

He beat Lamar cousins,and Burrows 

Has more passing yards 

Rodgers

Breese

Manning

With dpj,Landry,and Higgins 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, buno67 said:

I would want to know what OBJs grade was before he was let go

This fits the eye test to me. DPJ and Landry, though with very different skillsets, would both be adequate #3 WRs (an average #3 in the league should grade around #80). But because they are the #1/2 right now, they look terrible and drag everyone down with them. Schwartz would be fine as a #4 pure speed, top off the defense guy, but he's having to play as a #3. Higgins is the only one who looks like he fits his role, #4 with solid chemistry with the QB but limited athletically and isn't going to break a play.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, FGK said:

This fits the eye test to me. DPJ and Landry, though with very different skillsets, would both be adequate #3 WRs (an average #3 in the league should grade around #80). But because they are the #1/2 right now, they look terrible and drag everyone down with them. Schwartz would be fine as a #4 pure speed, top off the defense guy, but he's having to play as a #3. Higgins is the only one who looks like he fits his role, #4 with solid chemistry with the QB but limited athletically and isn't going to break a play.

I agree with almost all of this, but I’ve seen nothing from Schwartz that makes me think he’d be a solid deep threat.

Dude looks like a track athlete in pads, not a WR thus far.

Hopefully he develops.

1 hour ago, FGK said:

It is going to be interesting but he is only 1 year removed from a 900 yard covid infection season

20 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Ouch!

Pretty damning.