The Browns sorry search for pass catchers

Kiwibrown

On 12/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agree with almost all of this, but I’ve seen nothing from Schwartz that makes me think he’d be a solid deep threat.

Dude looks like a track athlete in pads, not a WR thus far.

Hopefully he develops.

I mean, for a #4 guy whose entire purpose in the offense is to run go's and take a safety off the top, I don't know that we need a ton more than where he is right now. The problem is we drafted him at a spot that says we were hoping for more.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ll still die on the hill of I love his toughness after years of “professional efforts”.  

I also think as mediocre to bad as he’s been he’s done more for our offense than Keenum would have. He’s really only had a couple awful games (every QB has a few stinkers per season) with one of them being last week after not being able to practice or be with the team for 2 weeks.

If we win out and make the playoffs, I think you have to consider it “worth it”.  If not, it was worth a go. I’m not far enough removed from 0-16 to not appreciate the fact we’re playing meaningful games in January.

I would like to see him shut it down once we’re eliminated (if that happens) even if it’s just one game. Get started with surgery/rehab a week sooner, tank the final game for a better draft pick and look to next year. 

But you also got to take into account he’s also done worse than keenum would most likely do. 

he moves the offense just enough to get us downfield then throw a pick. So is that really helping us. If we have half the turnovers we’ve had with baker we probably have two more wins. 

36 minutes ago, brownie man said:

But you also got to take into account he’s also done worse than keenum would most likely do. 

he moves the offense just enough to get us downfield then throw a pick. So is that really helping us. If we have half the turnovers we’ve had with baker we probably have two more wins. 

Sorry disagree two missed field goals from 40 yards cost us 2 wins

Obj drop in the end zone cost a win

Mayfield had us ahead at 2 minutes left in the san Diego game and the defense could not stop them.

All of those losses Mayfield

Mayfield beat Burrow 

Lamar

And cousins 

They say you should have beat Mahomes and Rodgers 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FGK said:

I mean, for a #4 guy whose entire purpose in the offense is to run go's and take a safety off the top, I don't know that we need a ton more than where he is right now. The problem is we drafted him at a spot that says we were hoping for more.

In theory, sure.  But he hasn’t actually done it once this season.

I realize he’s fast, but you can’t literally just run past people who know your one trick all that often.  At some point he needs to actually learn to run/finish routes and make a reasonably difficult catch.

Sure he may be able to soften a safety, but he hasn’t shown an ability to make a play.

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

The turnovers have been the last few weeks.  Much of the season he protected the ball really well. He just wasn’t putting points on the board.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

In theory, sure.  But he hasn’t actually done it once this season.

I realize he’s fast, but you can’t literally just run past people who know your one trick all that often.  At some point he needs to actually learn to run/finish routes and make a reasonably difficult catch.

Sure he may be able to soften a safety, but he hasn’t shown an ability to make a play.

Maybe it's asking too much, but I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) that Landry hasn't taken Schwartz over his wing to perfect routes. If Schwartz gets solid in the route tree then the sky is the limit. He just turned 21 in September, amazingly enough. He's a kid and the pick was made for the future IMO.

14 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Maybe it's asking too much, but I'm surprised (or maybe I'm not) that Landry hasn't taken Schwartz over his wing to perfect routes. If Schwartz gets solid in the route tree then the sky is the limit. He just turned 21 in September, amazingly enough. He's a kid and the pick was made for the future IMO.

Oh I completely agree he’s got a lot of time to improve, even year 3 there will likely be guys who are rookies who are older, but I guess I just expect to see some sort of flashes from a top 100 pick.  

And even if Juice is helping, learning to run perfect routes is like most skills, it does take a little time.

Im not giving up on the kid, but I don’t think we have seen nearly enough yet to count on him for anything substantial next season.

9 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

One of the reasons I liked Schwartz is  because in college  he made over the shoulder catches and they have not even thrown him this pass to him

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mtmmike said:

One of the reasons I liked Schwartz is  because in college  he made over the shoulder catches and they have not even thrown him this pass to him

Yup. I watched some games of his before he was drafted and thought he actually stuck out as a receiver. I think he was the right pick and was excited when we got him. The whole "he's just a track guy" narrative is a bit overblown, in my opinion. I have high hopes for him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yup. I watched some games of his before he was drafted and thought he actually stuck out as a receiver. I think he was the right pick and was excited when we got him. The whole "he's just a track guy" narrative is a bit overblown, in my opinion. I have high hopes for him.

No worries stuff like that makes me want to get somebody from Sean Payton tree

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I’m not saying that’s all he is, but that is what he looks like now.

He’s only catching 50% of the throes coming his way.  After week 1 he’s had 53 receiving yards on 6 receptions.  He’s been almost an absolute non factor.

Like I’ve said, he is definitely still young and we could very easily see big strides every year for a few more years, but right now he doesn’t look like a professional receiver.

• Like 1