BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

On 9/8/2022 at 12:55 PM, Blue said:

I don't want to go into General so y'all are getting my NFL playoff picks here.

AFC

1. KC
2. BUF
3. CIN
4. IND
5. DEN
6. BAL
7. LV

NFC

1. GB
2. LA
3. TB
4. DAL
5. PHI
6. SF
7. NO

On 9/8/2022 at 12:59 PM, MWil23 said:

I think Cincinnati misses the playoffs this year. That's my darkhorse pick. I also have Denver missing the playoffs.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:01 PM, Blue said:

Yeah I can see that too with Cincy. The Super Bowl run made them look a lot better than they are. Could see them anywhere from 3rd seed to out of the playoffs.

I don't think Denver has any shot of missing the playoffs if they stay reasonably healthy. Should be a great offense and the defense is still quite good. They're the No. 2 team in the West without question.

"Without any question" Denver is the #2 team in the West.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:11 PM, MWil23 said:

I 100% get that Joe Burrow down the stretch really limited turnovers and looked great, and I get that their OL is completely revamped. I also feel like they really toed the line on the whole "team of destiny" vs "lucky" end. They also had to settle for a LOT of FGs down the stretch in the post-season and had the benefit of a decimated Ravens team and a 4th place schedule.

I just can't see them replicating what they did last year, but maybe they'll prove me wrong.

On paper, sure. I just don't buy into Russ making them automatically a playoff squad. I think their defense is fine, but not what a lot of others think, and I get the skepticism surrounding the Chargers, but if they go 3-3 in that division, that feels right to me.

Throw in a loaded AFC and some tough out of division opponents like the 49ers, Colts, Titans, Ravens, and Rams, and I could see them going anywhere from 12 wins to 8-9. Some of those other opponents are garbage like the Jaguars, Jets, Panthers, and Texans.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:48 PM, MWil23 said:
On 9/8/2022 at 1:21 PM, Blue said:

I can very easily find 9 wins and I think they could get to 11 without much of a stretch. Titans aren't that good and I think they miss the playoffs convincingly.

This is definitely fair enough, and I could conceivably see a HUGE downturn from Tennessee this year post A.J. getting traded and if Henry isn't "insane mode" good, they probably have a huge offensive dropoff.

They also get to play Houston and JAX 4 combined times and the ghost of Matt Ryan throwing the ball. I know people like to meme Wentz, but I really don't think Matt Ryan is an upgrade at all.

For the "Well look at how bad his WR and OL was" Matt Ryan arguments, let's also take a look at the lousy division that he played in and how clearly his physical tools have deteriorated.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/carson-wentz-matt-ryan.php

Ryan         Wentz

Passing  

Completions 375 322
Attempts 560 516
Percentage 67.0 62.4
Yards 3,968 3,563
Yds/Att 7.1 6.9
TD 20 27
INT 12 7
Sacked 40 32

This is probably my proudest take thus far into the season

On 9/8/2022 at 1:54 PM, Blue said:

Oh yeah you're not getting any argument from me that Ryan is not a seismic upgrade from Wentz. But I do think he'll be good enough on a pretty good team and won't implode like Wentz did in Week 18 with playoffs on the line.

So far this is my favorite in light of the beatdown they got from JAX yesterday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

the colts randomly get crushed by the jaguars once every season to be fair.  Not that you're wrong on any of it

Yeah but the start with Houston in there also has me a bit interested. TBH, this is NOT a shot at anyone or even @Blue despite some fun banter on my end so much as decades of Midwest insufferable Colts fans who for no reason whatsoever decided to mock me and my Browns fandom growing up, and as a result I wished them intense periods of QB ineptitude since they were spoiled all of those years. Here we are, and I'm enjoying it.

• Like 2

This isn’t going to get any better. Ugh

What’s the issue? Head coach Arthur Smith said part of it is the defense taking Pitts away.

“Kyle’s a huge part of our offense and the thing is, you just have to take it with context,” Smith said in his postgame press conference. “It’s the same thing — we’re trying to win and he has a huge impact on the game.”

“And Kyle is such an important piece, and we go after him or he is targeted and other guys made plays,” Smith said. ‘So, you know, it was like a perfect example. You targeted him on one and if they cover him or they account for him, then [receiver KhaDarel] Hodge comes in there and makes a big play. It happened a few times things like that.

“It’s not fantasy football. We’re just trying to win, and we’ll continue to look at everything and try to get better.”

Quarterback Marcus Mariota said there were a couple of moments when the Rams were double-covering Pitts.

“[J]ust the way that the game flows where he’s going to get his targets, he’s going to find the ball, the ball will come to him,” Mariota said. “These first couple weeks, it just hasn’t happened that way.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

What’s the issue? Head coach Arthur Smith said part of it is the defense taking Pitts away.

“Kyle’s a huge part of our offense and the thing is, you just have to take it with context,” Smith said in his postgame press conference. “It’s the same thing — we’re trying to win and he has a huge impact on the game.”

“And Kyle is such an important piece, and we go after him or he is targeted and other guys made plays,” Smith said. ‘So, you know, it was like a perfect example. You targeted him on one and if they cover him or they account for him, then [receiver KhaDarel] Hodge comes in there and makes a big play. It happened a few times things like that.

“It’s not fantasy football. We’re just trying to win, and we’ll continue to look at everything and try to get better.”

Quarterback Marcus Mariota said there were a couple of moments when the Rams were double-covering Pitts.

“[J]ust the way that the game flows where he’s going to get his targets, he’s going to find the ball, the ball will come to him,” Mariota said. “These first couple weeks, it just hasn’t happened that way.”

I expect him to have a fantastic Week 4 vs. the Browns if Woods is still employed by then.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

If London can continue to produce and make teams pay for this strategy like he did this week, it may not last as long as you think

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

"Without any question" Denver is the #2 team in the West.

This is probably my proudest take thus far into the season

So far this is my favorite in light of the beatdown they got from JAX yesterday.

If I knew Denver would have a bottom-5 coaching staff I'd have been less bullish on them. As it stands, it's not like the division outside of KC is covering themselves in glory through two weeks, though.

Looking forward to seeing what Indy does going forward, I picked them not so much out of faith in their talent as a lack of faith in the rest of the division.

• Like 1