BDL Discussion Thread 2022

Jlash

I would say my biggest frustration with BDL is that some points your roster can get to a point where the majority of people will never think it is good enough to win, so therefore you won't win no matter what your game plan is, so what is the point? 

This is especially true at QB. 

What I like about a sim as a theory is the randomness of it. Because the NFL is random. A team rotating with Davis Mills and Jeff Driscoll almost beat the Cowboys. Brock Purdy blew out Tom Brady. Weird random stuff happens, which means you feel like even if your roster is a true underdog, you still might be able to pull out a win.

A voting system doesn't account for that nor can it because it is an inherently bias system. Which is fine, no matter what system you put in place is inherently flawed. A sim is also flawed because it can be so random and it might do things that the majority might not think makes sense. 

Basically, I'm fine with either one (I'd prefer the sim but I know I'm likely in the minority) because nothing will ever be perfect, so that should not be the expectation or the goal. 

What if there was a split between simulating some weeks and writeups and voting for other weeks to reduce the workload?

Reading that some are in favor of the sim while others are dead set against it.  I just think we should all keep an open mind about it all and review the plus and negatives before it gets brushed under the rug.  At least, see how the sim would operate before refusing it.

Edited by ny92mike
  • Like 2

So I'm curious to hear people's opinions on how much weight we put into how we structure our teams in BDL vs real life. For example, it's been called out that we've leveraged Trevon Diggs as our other safety opposite Dugger due to injuries wiping out the rest of our safeties (3 on IR, with another out with injury lately). In reality he's still a corner on the Cowboys, but in BDL he would have been practicing and playing at safety for 2 weeks now, potentially 3 this coming weekend. Would he still be viewed as much of a duck out of water, or would it make some sense that he's had 'practice time' and 'playing time' at the position?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Would he still be viewed as much of a duck out of water, or would it make some sense that he's had 'practice time' and 'playing time' at the position?

To me he would be, otherwise you could 'cross train' anyone to play another position reasonable to his skill set and if week by week he gets "better" it would get pretty wonky.

It's different if a guy has SOME experience doing it in the pros, to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jlash said:

To me he would be, otherwise you could 'cross train' anyone to play another position reasonable to his skill set and if week by week he gets "better" it would get pretty wonky.

It's different if a guy has SOME experience doing it in the pros, to me.

I can respect that. It's not ideal for Diggs, but figured with his ball-hawk skills he'd make the best candidate for zone coverage over the top, and get away with more gambling in man coverage on TEs / HBs. It's basically by necessity, as I remember how Pickle got slaughtered for trying to use just 1 safety in a matchup, so trying to get the guy who would most 'easily' transition into the role.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I would say my biggest frustration with BDL is that some points your roster can get to a point where the majority of people will never think it is good enough to win, so therefore you won't win no matter what your game plan is, so what is the point? 

What I like about a sim as a theory is the randomness of it. Because the NFL is random. A team rotating with Davis Mills and Jeff Driscoll almost beat the Cowboys. Brock Purdy blew out Tom Brady. Weird random stuff happens, which means you feel like even if your roster is a true underdog, you still might be able to pull out a win.

A voting system doesn't account for that nor can it because it is an inherently bias system. Which is fine, no matter what system you put in place is inherently flawed. A sim is also flawed because it can be so random and it might do things that the majority might not think makes sense. 

Basically, I'm fine with either one (I'd prefer the sim but I know I'm likely in the minority) because nothing will ever be perfect, so that should not be the expectation or the goal. 

If you want a sim you'd just go play madden or fantasy football. 

Human element does give it the random chaos factor because human bias in itself is chaos. 

BDL is Bizzare, not random, not a sim and definitely not perfect. But like me running a team it sure as hell never gets taken seriously (at least it shouldn't unless someone's actually like ya know cheating)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Voting system DOES account for that. If you think it doesn't, your problem is with the voters, not the system. Case in point:

On 12/15/2022 at 1:26 PM, Blue said:

Why shouldn't I take into account what players have done lately? Should I be voting based on how players performed two and a half months ago? If a guy goes off in a certain week, I generally take that into account.

15 minutes ago, Xmad said:

If you want a sim you'd just go play madden or fantasy football. 

Human element does give it the random chaos factor because human bias in itself is chaos. 

BDL is Bizzare, not random, not a sim and definitely not perfect. But like me running a team it sure as hell never gets taken seriously (at least it shouldn't unless someone's actually like ya know cheating)

You should come back and co-own with someone.