(Discussion) Designing The 2022 and Beyond Leadership & Coaching Staff

gopherwrestler

Im fully on the fire Zimmer train, I love the guy but the game has passed him by and this team needs a new approach on game day. 

Im not as much on the fire Spielman train but wouldn't be mad if he was gone or moved up. Spielman is the type of GM you want, he's not afraid to move up and down the draft board, he will make moves when needed or if he feels we're close. Sure hes missed on some picks but he's made some good picks and done pretty well in the middle of the draft, he's made some desperate moves that backfired but had potential to be great. All in all he has fielded competitive teams for the most part, its on the coaching staff to not reach they're full potential. 

• Like 2

Is Josh McDaniels a candidate? Mac Jones may have just bought belichek a few more years so maybe Josh doesn't want to wait. If we want to go offensive mind he has to be near the top of the list and I would think we are going to be a pretty attractive opening with a bunch of stars under contract, great ownership and fantastic facilities. 

31 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

Is Josh McDaniels a candidate?

I would certainly take him as a coach. The only thing that I’m really concerned with McDaniels is what he wants in terms of control. If he’s gonna be a coach who works under the GM, like we saw with Spielman and Zimmer, great. But if he wants roster control and decision making control, like we saw with Childress, then I’d pass. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Whole scale changes likely coming but as assistants I’d love to keep McCardell, Patterson (unlikely), Kennedy Polamalu, and Karl Scott (really feel he’s a good teacher and love his ties to Saban’s defense). 

no more nepotism for awhile please. 

39 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Whole scale changes likely coming but as assistants I’d love to keep McCardell, Patterson (unlikely), Kennedy Polamalu, and Karl Scott (really feel he’s a good teacher and love his ties to Saban’s defense). 

no more nepotism for awhile please. 

I’d add Ficken to that list. Although, losing Polamalu wouldn’t bother me. 

• Like 1

We all know Zimmer's truly a Parcells disciple.   That's why he acts the way he acts, and I can appreciate the approach in a lot of situations.    But, times a changing and some of the "kinder, gentler" crap has to be sprinkled in.    Two things I don't agree with Zimmer on . . . A) using ex-HCs as advisors; is that a publicity stunt, or is one too insecure to put his stamp on all?   B)  the revolving door of OCs (6 or 7 now?) Just kills a team ---- even though statistically this years team is rocking!   

Think about it . . . The last time we had offenses like this, 2009, 2002/3? Even 1998.  Aside from all the complaining about young Klint, the kid has called some good games.  Some plays within games, though, were worthy of question.   

So, if I'm the Wilf's, I look at history, in part, to shape the future.    I've been through firing Tice after the debacle of 2005, and I've seen dictatorial control implode with Childress.    Frazier was overwhelmed.    Enter the 3rd longest tenured coach in Vikings history.    Comparatively, i think he he has won more in his first 8 years than Green.   I'm not going to compare him to Bud . . . That'd be nonsense.  So, the current situation needs evaluation regarding how Zimmer relates to Bryz and Spielman now.   Has he gotten power thirsty to the point of underming and willful disruption in the admin/business world?    Does his polarity cause fans to lose their minds, yet, sales of tickets and merchandise are record highs?  Who really pushed for that guaranteed contract for Cousins?

Personally, I think if Zimmer is fired, or bought out of his contract, whoever comes in will fail.  Why? Because they'll try to fix what isn't broken on the O.   The D needs SOME help, maybe a complete rebuild if all the 1-yr guys walk.  Zim's D needs certain players of certain skillets.  This year he had it all, until he didn't.   Early, the D line had DEs and limited DTs, then it flipped.   The DBs have been in flux all season . . . Putrid really.   That alone shouldn't get him fired, but it can't help.

So the future guys?   I have no idea, but I'll give 'em chance to prove the decision right.

Who I would like them to keep if possible Patterson, McCardell and Polamalu. I'm fine with Rick staying because I view this as a reset and not rebuild. I wouldn't complain if let go but must be on a short leash. The league is so offensively and QB driven. I prefer to have a offensive minded HC. Also, with team being so talented and young on offense. I feel the quickest organic turnaround is on that side of the ball. 

Top 4 HC's for me

Daboll/Leftwich - Probably my top logical 2 choices (Josh staying). Both will lead the team and willing to adjust. Slight edge to Daboll because his work with Allen. Also, aggressive behavior. Both can be too pass happy.   

Bieniemy - The way Reid and MaHomes speak up for him. It make you feel he has to be a good fit as HC. However, the fact he's been pass over for years can't be ignored. Something beside his personal history is a red flag.

Josh McDaniels - I really want him to be the HC. His Denver tenue and Bill coaching tree has been bad. However, Josh can adapt his scheme to fit players strengths and he's aggressive.  Mond/Rookie QB will develop well under him. NE hasn't been a super talented for years.

Hacket- Out side of my top 4 . Yet, the more you read up on him the more you like him.

Edited by dc_vikingfan

16 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I’m guessing the Vikes are a playoff team this year without such a conservative coach and if they actually let Cousins run the offense. 

Cousins has no interest in running the offense.  He has said basically as much in his interviews when he refers to just running the plays the coaches call.  He doesn't want that responsibility.  He just wants to execute the plays.

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If the Vikings hired Brian Daboll, what would people think about trading Cousins (if possible), and signing Trubisky as the stop gap? 

I've never had a huge problem with Trubisky.  I had a problem with the coach that was developing him.  I think, in the right situation, Trubisky could be a capable QB.  Not a great one, but certainly a capable one.

Edited by swede700

Just now, swede700 said:

Cousins has no interest in running the offense.  He has said basically as much in his interviews when he refers to just running the plays the coaches call.  He doesn't want that responsibility.  He just wants to execute the plays.

Is that because that's what he wants or because that's what the coaches expect from him? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

If that’s actually true that’s BS compared to what he’s compensated to do. He should be calling audibles and calling out of plays based on what the defense is showing. No wonder we run Cook into a wall so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

If that’s actually true that’s BS compared to what he’s compensated to do. He should be calling audibles and calling out of plays based on what the defense is showing. No wonder we run Cook into a wall so much.

I can't remember the last time I actually saw Cousins audible out of a play.  I'm certain it happens on occasion, but I don't notice it a lot.