2022 draft prospects general discussion

AZBearsFan

Hot Take alert: I don’t think this Draft is all that great

Plenty of good prospects, but the elite is lacking. Even Hutchinson is one of the least appealing top picks in years. Feels like this may be the result of the Covid years, and I don’t even feel all that bad that we don’t have a 1st rounder this year. It will feel even better if Fields pans out. 

I say that, to point out I think this is a good draft to accumulate 2nd-5th rounders to bolster the depth of this roster, and look to add major impact guys again next year. And I think that may be what Poles is aiming to do here. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Plenty of good prospects, but the elite is lacking. Even Hutchinson is one of the least appealing top picks in years. Feels like this may be the result of the Covid years, and I don’t even feel all that bad that we don’t have a 1st rounder this year. It will feel even better if Fields pans out. 

I say that, to point out I think this is a good draft to accumulate 2nd-5th rounders to bolster the depth of this roster, and look to add major impact guys again next year. And I think that may be what Poles is aiming to do here. 

I don't think that is a hot take at all...I think it is spot on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I've been reading takes from different pundits alot lately and I've seen them share the same sentiment.  Even the WR position.....it's deep but it's also top heavy.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think Covid is a big factor as practice and games were non-existent for a time and subsequently jacked and football is such a precision sport.

But from combine testing numbers the athletes are still in there.   They are just behind in skill and stats so there aren't tons of obvious stand outs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think that is a hot take at all...I think it is spot on.

Yea well, “warm take alert” doesn’t have the same ring to it. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I think Covid is a big factor as practice and games were non-existent for a time and subsequently jacked and football is such a precision sport.

Maybe it’s that, but I also think the Covid year for a lot of guys let them develop more, but it doesn’t push their potential any higher, just has them another year closer to it. It’s obviously most prominent with Hutchinson, but he’s not alone. 

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the Travon Walker thing as a potential #1. I get the elite potential, but he’s all projection. If you’re looking for massive upside but some questions, why Walker over Thibodeaux, who also has the production piece?

Makes no sense to me. 

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

To me, if they think Jenkins should play RT then they have to evaluate if Borom can play LT. They might see Jenkins like John Tait too, where he can play LT and do well but he’s a more ideal fit at RT. 

I'm not altogether certain that isn't Poles plan.  I think most people who've evaluated Jenkins see him as a natural RT and maybe even more so in this blocking scheme.  He seems to be far more mobile than Borom.

If Poles plans to both draft a LT prospect and sign a vet LT IMHO it makes more sense to leave Jenkins at RT giving him as much opportunity as he can to nail that position down especially since timing is so important in this scheme.

Borom, a rookie, and a vet FA square off at LT to find the best starter.  Worst case for Borom may be being made the Swing OT with experience now on both sides of the OL and also a possible OG prospect or a backup at OG as well.

The thing is we really aren't gonna have a better idea of what they may intend until after the draft and any post draft signings Poles makes but there are still vet LT prospects like Fisher and Duane Brown unsigned he could look at or could he persuade Peters to return for another year to start and mentor a rookie?

11 hours ago, Epyon said:

Rest easy, "draft names" enthusiasts, Bears have had a virtual meeting with "Smoke Monday"  - Safety Auburn.

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Smoke is such a great name for a safety. 

I just don't wanna know what he does on Tuesdays....

If the Bears do draft him I certainly hope he has a better Chicago career than Smoke Mizzell did

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m still trying to wrap my head around the Travon Walker thing as a potential #1. I get the elite potential, but he’s all projection. If you’re looking for massive upside but some questions, why Walker over Thibodeaux, who also has the production piece?

Makes no sense to me. 

"Traits over Production"

The scouts code...

Walker is bigger, longer, stronger & faster...while I agree with you, there will be scouts who stick to that principle and a coach out there who will be confident enough that they will develop him into a star...only takes 1.

35 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

"Traits over Production"

The scouts code...

Walker is bigger, longer, stronger & faster...while I agree with you, there will be scouts who stick to that principle and a coach out there who will be confident enough that they will develop him into a star...only takes 1.

Thibodeaux at 3 to Lovie and the Texans makes so much sense to me if he’s still there. They can still get their OT at 13 (I love Penning).