To my fellow nay-sayers from before the season started...

navysaintsfan

I know there were a few like me that were flat out done with this team. Done with Payton, ready to move on from Brees. And the first two games really didn't help this opinion. But now the Saints are on a 5 game tear, looking like one of the hottest teams in the NFC right now and leading the division at 5-2. So, I know I personally said if we didn't see improvement on the field showing we are better than a 7-9 team again, I wanted Payton gone. Well, lets talk folks.

Lets look at the schedule. I can easily see another 5-6 wins for this team, looking at maybe a 10-6 or 11-5 season. It is very possible. And that seems more than enough for a playoff spot. If this comes to fruition...what are your thoughts going forward? Do you chalk this up to luck? Do you think Payton finally did enough to get the ship righted? Do you think we try to resign Brees? He has stated he wouldn't want to leave a team that was young and showed it could win, maybe he could be open to a short and more modest contract? Would be a good idea if we search for an early round QB in the draft.

Personally, if we finish out that strong, I feel like I would need another season of 9-10+ wins before finally believing that Payton finally understands that running the ball can be effective and that him and the FO have figured out how to field an effective balanced team again.

I don't fully buy Payton's defenses, as I think this one is working in spite of him, and may get destroyed anyway in the playoffs against elite offenses.

As far as running the ball, Brees is getting older and we finally have two solid backs to run the way Payton likes to run.  I've never thought he was anti-run, but it was hard to run the ball in our situation, when our defense gives up 20+ in the first half.  He ran well in our good years.  In 2010 all of our backs were hurt, in 2011 we ran the ball really well, 2012 was a cluster, 2013 we had some trouble running, but Ingram wasn't really any good until about halfway into that season.  After that, the backs he went and got hadn't panned out(like Spiller), and our defense had been perpetually ranked 32.  When we got Hightower we ran decently, but now with Kamara, we have a legit 1-2 punch like we haven't had since Sproles, Thomas, etc.

When he first got here in 2006, with deuce and Reggie Bush, we had like 19 rush TDs that year, which was good for top 5 in the league.  And Brees still led the league in passing yards that year.

I feel like whoever made the post that mentioned that it would be hard to find a competent replacement HC was right and the only real reason to keep Payton regardless of how this season went.

Brees, I still think that if he's not coming back for a very affordable price we just go our separate ways.

2 hours ago, Raves said:

I feel like whoever made the post that mentioned that it would be hard to find a competent replacement HC was right and the only real reason to keep Payton regardless of how this season went.

Brees, I still think that if he's not coming back for a very affordable price we just go our separate ways.

Kirk is hitting the open market...

I do want Brees back (despite his arm strength issues), but I don't want the Saints to pay him Stafford money.

10 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

I know there were a few like me that were flat out done with this team. Done with Payton, ready to move on from Brees. And the first two games really didn't help this opinion. But now the Saints are on a 5 game tear, looking like one of the hottest teams in the NFC right now and leading the division at 5-2. So, I know I personally said if we didn't see improvement on the field showing we are better than a 7-9 team again, I wanted Payton gone. Well, lets talk folks.

Lets look at the schedule. I can easily see another 5-6 wins for this team, looking at maybe a 10-6 or 11-5 season. It is very possible. And that seems more than enough for a playoff spot. If this comes to fruition...what are your thoughts going forward? Do you chalk this up to luck? Do you think Payton finally did enough to get the ship righted? Do you think we try to resign Brees? He has stated he wouldn't want to leave a team that was young and showed it could win, maybe he could be open to a short and more modest contract? Would be a good idea if we search for an early round QB in the draft.

Personally, if we finish out that strong, I feel like I would need another season of 9-10+ wins before finally believing that Payton finally understands that running the ball can be effective and that him and the FO have figured out how to field an effective balanced team again.

I always felt Payton was a good coach... Just didnt feel he was the right coach for us anymore mainly because of his inability to field a complimentary offense and the major questions surrounding his standing as head of personnel. Also his meddeling ways when it came to the defensive side of the ball...

Looking at it this year Payton has absolutely stunned me by changing my line of thinking on all those 3 levels. Hes fielded one of the more blanced offences in the nfl, hes allowed Dennis Allen to take the reins of this defense and he yeilded personnel power to Jeff Ireland who has delivered 2 straight great draft classes. All of these decisions have lead to this turn around and none of it happens without Sean Payton allowing it to.

So i say cuddos to Payton for proving me wrong!

46 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I always felt Payton was a good coach... Just didnt feel he was the right coach for us anymore mainly because of his inability to field a complimentary offense and the major questions surrounding his standing as head of personnel. Also his meddeling ways when it came to the defensive side of the ball...

Looking at it this year Payton has absolutely stunned me by changing my line of thinking on all those 3 levels. Hes fielded one of the more blanced offences in the nfl, hes allowed Dennis Allen to take the reins of this defense and he yeilded personnel power to Jeff Ireland who has delivered 2 straight great draft classes. All of these decisions have lead to this turn around and none of it happens without Sean Payton allowing it to.

So i say cuddos to Payton for proving me wrong!

giphy.gif

Any time Payton's team hits a 5 game winning streak, good things happen (2009,10,11,13). The trick is going to be keeping the players healthy, specifically the backfield and CB's.

When we lose big games (playoffs) it's when we are injury riddled. I think about our Seattle loss here.

I may not believe in "Payton" to run the whole show like he has in the past, so I'm hoping what we are seeing is him changing his tune to where he's not micromanaging like he has in the past, and just being a good head coach.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:30 AM, Mid Iowa said:

Any time Payton's team hits a 5 game winning streak, good things happen (2009,10,11,13). The trick is going to be keeping the players healthy, specifically the backfield and CB's.

When we lose big games (playoffs) it's when we are injury riddled. I think about our Seattle loss here.

I may not believe in "Payton" to run the whole show like he has in the past, so I'm hoping what we are seeing is him changing his tune to where he's not micromanaging like he has in the past, and just being a good head coach.

I agree with you. Im not 100% behind Payton but some of the changes look to be in the right direction. 

53 minutes ago, SSK said:

I agree with you. Im not 100% behind Payton but some of the changes look to be in the right direction. 

I was about as down on Payton as anyone over the last few years and like all of us I knew this would be his make or break season...

Well were at the mid-way point and he has his team at 6-2. Yes I still have my concerns and a late season collaspe is always possible but I will man up and give credit where its due. Payton has done a great job thus far and has done it with consiatant shuffling along the offensive line due to injuries. The season started with thr loss of one of our best defenders for the season (perhaps his career) so Payton has faced some adversity so far and it hasnt always been pretty.

Even if the Saints dont win this division, I stated before this year that Payton was in a playoffs or bust year and I stand by that and at 6-2 Payton has his team in position to be a playoff team. All while being one of the youngest teams in the NFL showing progress.

53 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

The season started with thr loss of one of our best defenders for the season (perhaps his career) so Payton has faced some adversity so far and it hasnt always been pretty.

Not only that, but we lost Breaux too. Which at the time looked like it left us nobody to play across from Lattimore.

2 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

If we manage to finish 7-9 we won't be singing the same tune. 

IF is the big word there... Of course IF we have a collaspe like that and finish 7-9 that would put Payton back on the hot seat BUT the possibility of that happening is not justification to ignore the job Payton has done to this point.

Just because your willing to say good job right now does not mean you cant say fire him if you feel that way at the end of the season.

Archived