A New Era: Zimmer and Spielman both fired on Black Monday

vike daddy

Forgive me, but I’m calling BS. At best, it’s a significantly embellished report. At worst, the author is lying through his teeth to gain clicks. 

The Wilfs and the Vikings have made it clear that a GM will be hired first, so any “report” I see of the team “strongly considering” any candidate, I take with a large grain of salt. 

With Ossenfort’s connection to the Patriots, it sounds like someone is trying to connect the dots. 

My guess is that the Vikings’ search group is make a plethora of phone calls, and asking questions about a number of candidates in order to gather more information. And these sports writers are getting wind of those inquiries and trying to spin it into significant interest. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Forgive me, but I’m calling BS. At best, it’s a significantly embellished report. At worst, the author is lying through his teeth to gain clicks. 

The Wilfs and the Vikings have made it clear that a GM will be hired first, so any “report” I see of the team “strongly considering” any candidate, I take with a large grain of salt. 

With Ossenfort’s connection to the Patriots, it sounds like someone is trying to connect the dots. 

My guess is that the Vikings’ search group is make a plethora of phone calls, and asking questions about a number of candidates in order to gather more information. And these sports writers are getting wind of those inquiries and trying to spin it into significant interest. 

Yeah, the angle of that sounds like guessing

I just can't see hiring a coach first. They can be considering some, and interviewing some, but not hiring. 

As for talking to the players, that makes a ton of sense. The Wilfs aren't experts in NFL coaching and cultures......obviously. How they could have their GM and HC not talking.....that's bad. Clearly the management needed blowing up, and I'm glad they finally did it.

• Like 1

Obviously, in this new day and age with virtual interviews, these interviews can be recorded and the new GM can review them to decide which ones he/she would want to give another interview to.  It certainly could be helpful in shortening up the process to hire a coach after the GM is hired.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yeah, the angle of that sounds like guessing

The biggest eyebrow raise remark was towards the end where is says that McDaniels is looking at the teams without a GM. Which would suggest that McDaniels is interested in a place where he’d wear both hats, like Belichick, and that would be a stark contrast to the comments we’ve heard from the Wilfs and local reporters who are covering the search process. 

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The biggest eyebrow raise remark was towards the end where is says that McDaniels is looking at the teams without a GM. Which would suggest that McDaniels is interested in a place where he’d wear both hats, like Belichick, and that would be a stark contrast to the comments we’ve heard from the Wilfs and local reporters who are covering the search process. 

I don't see how any team would give him that kind of power again after what he did in Denver.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

I don't see how any team would give him that kind of power again after what he did in Denver.

Agreed. There are certainly reasons as to why I’d be interested in, and ok with McDaniels as the next head coach, but if he were again asking for full control with a GM/HC role, that would indicate to me that he didn’t learn much from his failures in Denver. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Kwesi and McDaniel!

Actually, my ideal is kwesi for gm, demeco ryans for HC and then he brings over McDaniels with an assistant head coach/oc title where he gets free reign to call the plays. 

Shanny would never give up play calling duties and this allows mcDaniels to grow as a coach and run his own offense. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

Actually, my ideal is kwesi for gm, demeco ryans for HC and then he brings over McDaniels with an assistant head coach/oc title where he gets free reign to call the plays. 

Shanny would never give up play calling duties and this allows mcDaniels to grow as a coach and run his own offense. 

I believe San Francisco could block this.  Oc to Oc would be a lateral move.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Among those who could end up interviewing with Minnesota in the near future to be their next head coach is current New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels.

McDaniels reportedly was not going to meet with any teams about head-coaching opportunities until after the Patriots were eliminated from this season’s playoffs according to Aaron Wilson of Houston’s SportsTalk 790. 

In addition to sharing that McDaniels wasn’t going to participate in any interviews until the Patriots were eliminated from the playoffs, Wilson also reported that the Vikings are one of three teams from around the NFL that are “strongly considering,” the New England assistant to be their next head coach.

https://thevikingage.com/2022/01/16/josh-mcdaniels-new-england-patriots-strong-minnesota-vikings-head-coach/?fbclid=IwAR2DH_mV4rnDGxq5GXIQmL3YldLprjWmMnpx3xIx3MqV0Xyd5cwbDsfXiAQ

Barf…. He is at the very bottom of my list!

• Like 1