2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

7 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I’ve watched a bunch of longhorns football this season living between San Antonio and Austin as I do. I would argue that sweat is the mvp of that team this season. Kid eats triple teams all day and still collapses the interior pocket and can shed to make the play on the RB. Won’t ever post great sack numbers as he lacks burst but frees up the edge rushers and gives the QB no where to escape to. 

Dude is a more athletic Ted Washington. 

Sean is a real proponent of controlling the tackle box on both sides. That alone will win lots of games. Your wish for top picks

on  both sides of the interior may very well come true. I sure hope so. Of course that would take away @lomaxgrUK constant and very true annual complaint about ignoring the IDL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

But I assume this also means we are okay with punting 2024 and rolling with Stidham for a year while we wait for next year's draft.

It’s likely we carry the most dead cap in NFL history next season. I am 100% on board with punting, going young, and getting a system in place.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

It’s likely we carry the most dead cap in NFL history next season. I am 100% on board with punting, going young, and getting a system in place.

I'm with ya.   Team isn't going to win the superbowl next year even with prime Peyton Manning at QB.   Get younger and better across the board.  Good draft picks in 2025.   Profit.

I like Penix a lot, but right now would rather trade back and accumulate picks.  I'm not sure about later round QBs like Rattler, Travis or Ward but there should be some options in the mid to late rounds that offer some upside similar to Sam Howell I would think 

I'm definitely not opposed to a trade down either. As much as I would love the players I listed and think there is a drop off from them, we need talent everywhere even if it isn't top tier. I'm really hoping we don't adopt Payton's/New Orleans trade up philosophy and cap hell situation. 

One scenario I kind of implied in my prospects I liked is we could trade down, trade Bolles for a 2nd and take a new left tackle at the back end of the first round. That would help ups accumulate picks, offload some cap and pick up good value at that spot in the draft. I really like Bolles but that is a very plausible strategy.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm definitely not opposed to a trade down either. As much as I would love the players I listed and think there is a drop off from them, we need talent everywhere even if it isn't top tier. I'm really hoping we don't adopt Payton's/New Orleans trade up philosophy and cap hell situation. 

One scenario I kind of implied in my prospects I liked is we could trade down, trade Bolles for a 2nd and take a new left tackle at the back end of the first round. That would help ups accumulate picks, offload some cap and pick up good value at that spot in the draft. I really like Bolles but that is a very plausible strategy.  

I think we will very much see who is GMing this draft as despite the mocks, I don't see Penix actually dropping to us. That means IF we were going that route, Sean would be trading up for him or even trading picks from future years to stock up now on talent. However, we know George is quite a big fan of going the opposite and trading back to have more of his "darts" to develop for years to come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

, trade Bolles for a 2nd and take a new left tackle at the back end of the first round. That would help ups accumulate picks, offload some cap and pick up good value at that spot in the draft. I really like Bolles but that is a very plausible strategy.  

I can't imagine Sean taking a step back at LT. I'd hate to see us trade Bolles for a guy that couldn't compete at that level for a couple of seasons. 

3 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

I think we will very much see who is GMing this draft as despite the mocks, I don't see Penix actually dropping to us. That means IF we were going that route, Sean would be trading up for him or even trading picks from future years to stock up now on talent. However, we know George is quite a big fan of going the opposite and trading back to have more of his "darts" to develop for years to come.

IMO George has little to say as far as franchise decisions. He's good at maneuvering on draft day but that's really the only spot where he shines.

6 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I'm on board with that. Also, I'm not sure why everyone seems to be writing Stidham off. Sharp kid, can make all the throws, seems comfortable in the pocket and most importantly has a year in the system. I'd be fine sticking with him. 

We'll find out what Sean thinks about that soon enough.

37 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I can't imagine Sean taking a step back at LT. I'd hate to see us trade Bolles for a guy that couldn't compete at that level for a couple of seasons. 

Bolles is going to be 32 in the last year of his contract. If next year is a rebuild there isn’t much benefit to keeping him given we’d save at least 16 mill (or do we save his full salary of 20mil since it’s a trade?). Taking a LT around pick 20 would cost about 2 mil and give them experience for when we are competitive.  Given how he has played this year I would hope for the end of the 2nd round pick for him but might have to be a 3rd+. 

Again, I don’t love it but it would save a ton of money, help us recoup some picks, and likely be better for our future. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Bolles is going to be 32 in the last year of his contract. If next year is a rebuild there isn’t much benefit to keeping him given we’d save at least 16 mill (or do we save his full salary of 20mil since it’s a trade?). Taking a LT around pick 20 would cost about 2 mil and give them experience for when we are competitive.  Given how he has played this year I would hope for the end of the 2nd round pick for him but might have to be a 3rd+. 

Again, I don’t love it but it would save a ton of money, help us recoup some picks, and likely be better for our future. 

I guess I don't really look at this as a rebuild, more just building around what we have. @broncos_fan _from _ukemphasized "system" development and I'm absolutely on board. Pretty hard to develop a fairly complex offense with a rookie LT. I'd definitely be drafting his replacement for development but would do nothing to hamper the system this year. 

23 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

I'm with ya.   Team isn't going to win the superbowl next year even with prime Peyton Manning at QB.   Get younger and better across the board.  Good draft picks in 2025.   Profit.

I like Penix a lot, but right now would rather trade back and accumulate picks.  I'm not sure about later round QBs like Rattler, Travis or Ward but there should be some options in the mid to late rounds that offer some upside similar to Sam Howell I would think 

Guys with palpable talent like Rattler who just can’t produce scare me. He *should* be good, but he’s usually just a guy. Travis will be redshirting his rookie season because of the injury, he makes more sense for a team with no need at QB. Cam Ward is a dink-and-dunk merchant, no thanks. If we’re punting the real QB decision down the road by a year and just looking for a late round flier for now, UK’s guy Sam Hartman is worth a look. I’d bet on him being a high level backup over a long career. If you want someone with a little more potential, I like Graham Mertz out of Florida. He spent his first 3 years in a terrible passing offence at Wisconsin, but with the Gators he saw his accuracy spike and his mistakes reduced, all while pushing the ball further down the field. He’s not a threat to run, but I wouldn’t call him a statue (his footwork needs to be cleaned up inside the pocket), and the ball jumps out of his hand. Physically, I’d say he’s very comparable to a guy like Drew Lock, but he’s shown the capability of much better accuracy in college (even if it was just in his senior year). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Guys with palpable talent like Rattler who just can’t produce scare me. He *should* be good, but he’s usually just a guy. Travis will be redshirting his rookie season because of the injury, he makes more sense for a team with no need at QB. Cam Ward is a dink-and-dunk merchant, no thanks. If we’re punting the real QB decision down the road by a year and just looking for a late round flier for now, UK’s guy Sam Hartman is worth a look. I’d bet on him being a high level backup over a long career. If you want someone with a little more potential, I like Graham Mertz out of Florida. He spent his first 3 years in a terrible passing offence at Wisconsin, but with the Gators he saw his accuracy spike and his mistakes reduced, all while pushing the ball further down the field. He’s not a threat to run, but I wouldn’t call him a statue (his footwork needs to be cleaned up inside the pocket), and the ball jumps out of his hand. Physically, I’d say he’s very comparable to a guy like Drew Lock, but he’s shown the capability of much better accuracy in college (even if it was just in his senior year). 

Thats the kind of insight I’m here for, I know next to nothing about most these guys outside of FCS so just kind of regurgitating stuff I read.  
Honestly would love Penix but have my doubts he’s there when we pick and a trade up with our lack of assets is a tough sell imo 

"Punting" the season away isn't going to happen for a couple of reasons.

1) If Payton didn't embrace the tank at 1-5 with ~1% chance of making the playoffs, why would he for a 17 game season? The dude clearly wants to win no matter who he has to cut (Gregory, Clark) or bench (Russ). Whether that's with Stidham or a rookie QB, rest assured the team will compete.

2) While definitely hamstrung, the huge, inevitable dead-cap hit next year doesn't mean it'll be a "rebuild" campaign. The Bucs/Rams were supposed to be in a rebuild (both with ~80 mil in dead money this season) but are now either in/playing for the the postseason in week 18. The dead money likely takes us out of the first couple day free-agent frenzy which isn't where you typically want to be to begin with (see McGlinchey/Powers/Gregory contract numbers as recent examples).

• Like 1

As for the actual draft, trading back to to acquire assets is much easier said than done. Unless a team falls in love with a QB (outside chance that a team wants to jump up for a Penix/McCarthy/Nix) or a blue chipper, which there aren't many of this year IMO. Further, not sure how much trading down is in Payton's track record but I do remember all the trade-ups for Marcus Davenport, Ramczyk, Mark Ingram. 

There's also not really a precedent of Sean drafting a QB early either although he has stated he would have drafted Mahomes had KC not traded up for him. If we do go that route, assuming the top 3 are gone, I'd much prefer Penix despite the age/injury concerns. 

In lieu of QB, IDL is the obvious biggest hole on this team with Newton the only true impact player imo, which could push him up the board. Plethora of WR to choose from as well as some very good CB. 

Whichever direction Sean goes, I just hope it's not at the expense of future draft picks.