2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Which I don’t buy. I know he’s polarizing around here but if we do take a QB at 12, or after a small trade down, I think McCarthy is a better fit for Sean’s offense. 

I agree. I just got done looking at every snap I could find of the 5 QBs who have flirted with the first round this season. It took a while (started around Christmas) but looking at ceiling, floor, and likelihood to succeed. Here’s how I rank them (ranked by overall with ceiling, floor and likelihood rank in parentheses):

1)Maye (2,1,1)

2)McCarthy (3,2,2)

3)Williams (1,5,5)

3)Penix (5,3,3)

5)Nix (4,4,4)

Williams has soooo much Josh Rosen in him. I think the likelihood he flames out is very high. Hes either a superstar or out of the league in 4 years. I don’t see him sticking around as a backup which I think is the absolute floor of Nix and Penix.

McCarthy is very intriguing. He shows flashes but he simply wasn’t asked to do as much. But at the same time he didn’t show he couldn’t. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I agree. I just got done looking at every snap I could find of the 5 QBs who have flirted with the first round this season. It took a while (started around Christmas) but looking at ceiling, floor, and likelihood to succeed. Here’s how I rank them (ranked by overall with ceiling, floor and likelihood rank in parentheses):

1)Maye (2,1,1)

2)McCarthy (3,2,2)

3)Williams (1,5,5)

3)Penix (5,3,3)

5)Nix (4,4,4)

Williams has soooo much Josh Rosen in him. I think the likelihood he flames out is very high. Hes either a superstar or out of the league in 4 years. I don’t see him sticking around as a backup which I think is the absolute floor of Nix and Penix.

McCarthy is very intriguing. He shows flashes but he simply wasn’t asked to do as much. But at the same time he didn’t show he couldn’t. 

Did you get a chance to check out Jayden Daniels? Curious how you'd rank him compared to these 5. 

9 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

1)Maye (2,1,1)

2)McCarthy (3,2,2)

3)Williams (1,5,5)

3)Penix (5,3,3)

5)Nix (4,4,4)

What a tough thing to try to do.  The mental portion, unless you've got direct knowledge, is close to impossible to quantify yet without a doubt the most important.

From what I've gathered you've weighed that pretty heavily. I like that. Most of the analysts I've read seem all consumed by arm strength and mobility first, then go into accuracy, mental processing, competitive nature, etc. Seems kind of backwards to me.

Physically I always look at accuracy first, can they make all the throws 2nd. You've got to have those to play in the NFL. Third are the mental aspects and lastly arm strength and mobility. Those two are icing on the cake and aren't really necessary that often unless you're lacking in #3.

You're a brave man tackling QB ratings. Talk to 10 different fans and you'll get 10 different lists.

• Like 1

With Jayden Daniels

1)Maye (2,1,1)

2)McCarthy (3,3,2)

3)Daniels (4,2,3)

4)Williams (1,6,6)

5)Penix (6,4,4)

6)Nix (5,5,5)

Jayden Daniels is sooo smooth. He reminds me of a slightly stronger armed Chad Pennington with pre-injury teddy B mobility. The best QB in the draft on anticipatory throws. I worry his arm strength may not be enough in the NFL (similar to Pennington) but this kid will still be in the league 10 years from now with at least 40 starts under his belt. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

What a tough thing to try to do.  The mental portion, unless you've got direct knowledge, is close to impossible to quantify yet without a doubt the most important.

From what I've gathered you've weighed that pretty heavily. I like that. Most of the analysts I've read seem all consumed by arm strength and mobility first, then go into accuracy, mental processing, competitive nature, etc. Seems kind of backwards to me.

Physically I always look at accuracy first, can they make all the throws 2nd. You've got to have those to play in the NFL. Third are the mental aspects and lastly arm strength and mobility. Those two are icing on the cake and aren't really necessary that often unless you're lacking in #3.

You're a brave man tackling QB ratings. Talk to 10 different fans and you'll get 10 different lists.

That’s kind of how I see it too. Arm strength and mobility are more of a “threshold measurement” for me initially, then everything above that is bonus. You need enough arm strength to make all the throws and enough zip that they don’t all get jumped. You need enough mobility to be able to maneuver in the pocket. Until the Lamar Jackson’s of the world start wining SBs consistently running will always be a bonus rather than a primary part of my scouting. 

accuracy, reading a D, and anticipation throws are still the hallmarks of the elite QBs.

• Like 3

Re: Bet odds,  this is definitely the lying season - even in betting markets.   

As an example PIT is the favorite team for BOTH Russell Wilson & Justin Fields at less than even money odds.   Classic awful value bet to make.   The books have smoke but they’re offering awful odds for the probability.    No way a team should be the favorite for 2 QB’s lol.   

In-season or as FA opens / draft day close then the odds are worth paying attention given books access to inside info.    But right now they’re making educated guesses much like we are.   They have some info but nothing as definitive as what they get in-season or as key deadlines arrive.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 7:03 AM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

That’s kind of how I see it too. Arm strength and mobility are more of a “threshold measurement” for me initially, then everything above that is bonus. You need enough arm strength to make all the throws and enough zip that they don’t all get jumped. You need enough mobility to be able to maneuver in the pocket. Until the Lamar Jackson’s of the world start wining SBs consistently running will always be a bonus rather than a primary part of my scouting. 

accuracy, reading a D, and anticipation throws are still the hallmarks of the elite QBs.

So a question here. Does Stidham appear to meet the "threshold" ? I only saw him in about a half dozen plays,

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So a question here. Does Stidham appear to meet the "threshold" ? I only saw him in about a half dozen plays,

I would say he does. What he seems to lack is either a) the ability to quickly read a defense, B)the confidence to pull the trigger on anticipation throws instead of having to see the WR open or C) both

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I would say he does. What he seems to lack is either a) the ability to quickly read a defense, B)the confidence to pull the trigger on anticipation throws instead of having to see the WR open or C) both

Okay, so that was sort of my impression. Physically he's got enough but mentally acts like a kid that's only started 4 games.

I did notice that he was more likely to attack the middle of the field and didn't seem afraid to push the ball downfield. Anyway, right now I'm not sure we've seen enough to think he can't do the job at a high level. Only Sean's going to know that. 

2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I don’t know why Spencer Rattler isn’t a first round pick other than his size. I have him as QB 5 (ahead of mix and Penix) and think he may be the 3rd best QB in this draft when it’s all said and done. I think he’s a better pro than the QB that replaced him at OU. 

With Rattler he never lived up to the hype of his name. He sort of still over came it and won back to back games against top 10 teams I feel like there was a switch. He definitely is an interesting prospect. 

7 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I don’t know why Spencer Rattler isn’t a first round pick other than his size. I have him as QB 5 (ahead of mix and Penix) and think he may be the 3rd best QB in this draft when it’s all said and done. I think he’s a better pro than the QB that replaced him at OU. 

I watched exactly zero South Carolina games in the last two years, but was under the impression the offense was pretty pedestrian to bad. Numbers wise Rattler also looks pretty mediocre. What are you seeing? Not judgmental btw, genuinely curious.