2022 College Prospect Thread

germ-x

@broncos_fan _from _uk 

What do you like so much about Sedrick Van Pran? Specifically in comparison to Jackson Powers Johnson?

The way I see it is I would prefer Van Pran in a zone heavy scheme as he's a little quicker and I love his hand fighting. He's smart and has a ton of experience as well. I worry about his strength and balance. As good as he is when the line moves or shifts, he has a tendency of getting bull rushed when pass protecting or leans in the run game. I assume he leans because of his average strength but that was pretty noticeable to me. 

Jackson Powers Johnson is Van Prans counter part. I would much prefer him in a gap scheme where he is noticeably stronger and plays much more physical. His lack of experience and somewhat lack luster competition is a little concerning but his senior bowl might be evidence that his talent is there. 

Sean Payton I think leans on the big bully side of things so I think Jackson Powers Johnson would be a better scheme fit and who I would prefer we target. If we were running the Shanahan zone scheme, Van Pran would be a fantastic fit. For both of them to reach their potential, JPJ needs more experience to increase his IQ while Van Pran needs to improve his strength. 

Curious if you see things similarly or i guess moreso if you see things differently. 

Van Pran against SEC defenses gave up lass sacks in 3 years of starting as JPJ gave up in 1 (1). Also we’re talking about the same JPJ that couldn’t supplant Forsyth (the one currently on the broncos) for 3 years at Oregon? 

don’t get me wrong. He looked good this year, but SVP has looked better the last 3 years. Yes he can occasionally get pushed back but he plays with great technique, has an insanely high football IQ, and has demonstrated it against the best time and again. 

• Like 1

How about another UDFA prospect in Louisville RB Isaac Guerendo, a 6'1" 225 who runs a 4.35 40-yrder. Not as good out of the backfield with only 23 catches for the Cardinals, but he still has homerun potential as well as great size. Bring him into camp and see if he can supplant Samaje and his $4.5M salary. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

nah no clue I heard he's a good route runner too that's why the DPJ comp seems odd to me.

He’s not. He’s too technical and telegraphs a lot. There is no creativity to his routes. If it’s odd to you I recommend watching more film of them. End arounds, screens, returns, not far off builds, plenty of manufactured touches to get each guy the ball in ways that weren’t him beating a corner out wide consistently. If DPJ played with Caleb Williams he would have sure put up better stats also. When I use a comp it’s never going to be more than 80% comparable to a player. Anyone who claims a player is more identical than that to another is just wrong.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

A lot of good IOL depth. Mainly from the OTs that will have to kick inside (in addition to the above, Christian Jones and Delmar Glaze). There’s a few OT prospects with the length and athleticism who are raw (Amarius Mims, Tyler Guyton, Patrick Paul, Kingsley Suamataia, Kiran Amegadjie) but line play, especially at the tackle positions, is soooo bad across the league I’m seeing these guys who would normally go 3/4th round being mocked to the 1/2nd round. 

I'd love to see us settle into a draft pattern similar to what we did when Gibbs was here,IE: draft an OL in the mid rounds every year and develop them. If well coached it accomplishes a few things. 1) Keeps a deep, young talented bench. 2) usually results in at least one or two OL starters on rookie deals. 3) Allows you to continually replace starters, one a year or so, and pick up comp picks for the draft. 4) keeps you out of the FA race. 

As you point out, OL play overall is pretty bad. We have to compete against KC twice a year who maintains a good OL and has a great OL coach.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Van Pran against SEC defenses gave up lass sacks in 3 years of starting as JPJ gave up in 1 (1). Also we’re talking about the same JPJ that couldn’t supplant Forsyth (the one currently on the broncos) for 3 years at Oregon? 

don’t get me wrong. He looked good this year, but SVP has looked better the last 3 years. Yes he can occasionally get pushed back but he plays with great technique, has an insanely high football IQ, and has demonstrated it against the best time and again. 

Bolded part isn't really saying much tbh... They overlapped in 2021 and 2022 (2 years, not 3) when JPJ was in his true freshman and sophomore years while Forsyth was in his 5th and 6th years in college. Like I said, love Van Pran's experience and his IQ is fantastic but I was hoping for a little more insight about how they compare strengths/weakness wise. 

7 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Bolded part isn't really saying much tbh... They overlapped in 2021 and 2022 (2 years, not 3) when JPJ was in his true freshman and sophomore years while Forsyth was in his 5th and 6th years in college. Like I said, love Van Pran's experience and his IQ is fantastic but I was hoping for a little more insight about how they compare strengths/weakness wise. 

I assumed since he was at the senior bowl he redshirted a season. I must have been wrong.

JPJ is more athletic moving laterally and more sand in his pants against the bull rush.

Both are aggressive finishers with good technique. 

SVP has shown the ability to recover against 1st round draft picks. He plays with great leverage and angles when going against better athletes and an ability to recover when he makes a mid-step.

i think both will be good. I think JPJ is being overrated because his play style involves a lot of movement and results in big blocks against lesser opponents. I think SVP is being underrated because for a 3rd straight year he was boringly dominant against NFL caliber talent. 

• Like 1