2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

2 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

If we could come away with an Edge, Sauce, and a WR at the top of the 2nd I'm gonna be a happy dude.

Do we think sauce would last until #10? If we were somehow able to get KT at #4 and Sauce at #10 that would be insane for the defense. 

If Sauce is gone by #10 then would you consider Stingley instead? I feel Sauce will be the first cb taken followed by Stingley so just depends if any team in top 10 want to go cb early. 

Looking at the overall roster we don’t have many holes. I’m not sure if the talent is good enough but when you go position by position we have either signed guys or drafted guys we expect to play serious minutes. 

9 hours ago, NJC33 said:

DK has one 1,000yd season - 26 different receivers put up 1,000yds last year. Bosa has been to 4 pro-bowls and been a consensus top 5-10 DE since he's been in the league. All the talent in world and credit to you for wanting him at 3 when no one else did... but, some of these takes (SEA Jamal > NY Jamal) are wild.

You cant pick and choose when you want to use stats. So stats apply to DK but don't to Bosa and Adams? Adams stats have been significantly better in SEA than they were with us. Do I think he's a star? No. I'll listen to the debate that he's not worth his salary all day. I never wanted to draft or pay him. Could it be that we were such an awful team when he was here, that we as Jets fans overrated him? That's my take at least. But still the fact is that his stats are better in SEA than as a NYJ.

DK averages 1,060yds and 10tds a season. That's great. He's never had a bad season. And is still only 24. There's bottomless reasons on why he's so valuable. 26 WRs put up 1k, but how many had 12 TDs? 3 that's the answer. And the 3 ahead of him are Kupp, Evans and Jefferson. Elite players with great QBs throwing them the ball (Brady and Stafford elite, Cousins good). DK had Geno slinging it him for 4 games last season.

Bosa is a top 10 DE, I'll give you that, but he's not top 5. In fact he was 13th in the NFL for sacks last year, 130th in TFL, YES 130th. Was it just an OK season for Joey? Not so much, year before he only had 7.5 sacks. In fact if you average out his last 3 seasons he's a less than 10 sack guy per season.

Hence why I didn't compare DK to an elite DE. I chose a great player that wasn't quite elite for that exact reason.

I think my take is getting misunderstood though. I'm not pounding the table saying we need to trade for DK. But the take that whoever we get at 10 will be just as good or if not better is wild. The list of players through their whole career that average 1,060yds and 10tds isn't crazy long. So let's not act like great WRs just grow on trees. People look at Chase and Jefferson recently and just think that who you're getting in Round 1, totally excluding the Ruggs and Reagors of the 1st round world. Now I do think WR does have a high success rate recently. So I'm not saying taking a guy at 10 is a huge risk. I'm saying that the odds of that WR at 10 ever being DK good is slim.

My take is this right now. I want Jameson Williams at 10. If we choose him I'll be happy that we didn't trade for DK. He's the only WR in this draft I see elite talent with that if I had to bet... I think is a regular star WR within a year or 2 of his NFL career. After that it's guys who I see a slim chance that ever get to the DK level regularly (remember DK has never had a bad season and is still 24 for this whole next season). Garrett Wilson I can see being Devonta Smith lite. He's maybe the only other guy I'd be happy with, but still would think we should've just traded 10 for DK. Anyone after that I think there's no way they're regularly DK good. Drake London gets no separation and if not used correctly can be N'Keal Harry. If used right his ceiling is Mike Evans, but have we ever maximized a WRs talent? Chris Olave? 10 is too high for him IMO, so that should tell you how I don't think he will ever be great. Treylon Burks falls into that Drake London conversation for me. We use him like SF uses Deebo (minus as many snaps at RB) and I think he could be worth the 10th pick but still not DK good. We use him like he's just a regular WR, and we wasted his talent. Which again circles back to... when have we ever used and developed a WR correctly?

Keep in mind this is all assuming we even are drafting a WR at 10. What if we don't and wait until Round 2 where our only options are Jahan Dotson, Christian Watson and Skyy Moore? What a disappointment that would be. Going from maybe getting Ridley, than Hill, than DK, than drafting a guy at 10 to ending up with one of those 3. That's awful. And I even like a guy like Watson. But once again... he likely isn't ever DK. 

So my take is this.

1. Draft Williams at 10

2. Trade for DK

3. Draft Garrett Wilson

4. Draft Treylon Burks (and use him right)

5. Draft Drake London (and use him right)

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

So we'd be benching Hall a guy progressing for a rookie in Sauce?

Bobby I agree with you 100%. If you can get DK for the 10 pick you do it. Then pay him 25 mill a year. 

I'm probably one of the few here but i think Saleh wants big CB that have great hip movement along with speed for his outside CB. I think Gardner or Stingley will be one of the 2 top picks for the Jets. I think Reed was signed as a slot CB who can fill in on the outside when Hall gets hurt or the rookie struggles. MC2 is a nice one to have then he fills in for Reed when Reed goes to the outside. 

8 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Bobby I agree with you 100%. If you can get DK for the 10 pick you do it. Then pay him 25 mill a year. 

I'm probably one of the few here but i think Saleh wants big CB that have great hip movement along with speed for his outside CB. I think Gardner or Stingley will be one of the 2 top picks for the Jets. I think Reed was signed as a slot CB who can fill in on the outside when Hall gets hurt or the rookie struggles. MC2 is a nice one to have then he fills in for Reed when Reed goes to the outside. 

Call me crazy but I want to see MC2 in a safety role

• Like 1

I think Stingley running fast and having a great workout makes pick 10 very inviting for someone (Vikings, Eagles?) looking for a corner. If Salah doesn’t value first round CBs, then moving down to the teens and grabbing a WR would be a great move. Plus pick up additional draft capital. 

15 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Sauce is a luxury pick. By luxury I mean a team that can take him as BPA and use him bc they're good in lots of other areas.

We don't fit that criteria. We aren't good in lots of other areas. In fact one of the positions that we're the strongest at is CB. Reed was not brought in here to be moved. He was a top OUTSIDE CB last season. You don't move a guy that's proven there and you paid. Same goes for Hall. Hall is a good young CB. His ball skills need work, but he's a good cover CB. None of those 2 are moving to the slot. And that's bc there style doesn't fit that role and we actually have 2 good CBs who can play there in MC2 and Guidry. We draft Sauce or Stingley and they're CB4. Total waste of draft assets. 

Saleh had Reed in SF and tried to make him a slot Corner because he thought he was too small to play on the outside, Reed struggled in the slot and was cut, went to Seattle, in the same defense, thrived at outside DB. So the Jets, who are now coached by Saleh gave Reed a nice deal, will put him back in the slot where he struggled with Saleh before?????? Same Saleh who said he made a mistake not thinking Reed could play on the outside.

Is that what I just read?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Sauce is a luxury pick. By luxury I mean a team that can take him as BPA and use him bc they're good in lots of other areas.

We don't fit that criteria. We aren't good in lots of other areas. In fact one of the positions that we're the strongest at is CB. Reed was not brought in here to be moved. He was a top OUTSIDE CB last season. You don't move a guy that's proven there and you paid. Same goes for Hall. Hall is a good young CB. His ball skills need work, but he's a good cover CB. None of those 2 are moving to the slot. And that's bc there style doesn't fit that role and we actually have 2 good CBs who can play there in MC2 and Guidry. We draft Sauce or Stingley and they're CB4. Total waste of draft assets. 

Yup, you draft Sauce or Stingley and the team doesn't get better or worse, its a waste of an asset unless you can flip Hall for a high pick and fill a greater need(which we wont/cant)

I'm not understanding why people cant see why it doesnt make sense. It's not because Sauce isn't a great prospect because he is, its just that it doesnt make sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yup, you draft Sauce or Stingley and the team doesn't get better or worse, its a waste of an asset unless you can flip Hall for a high pick and fill a greater need(which we wont/cant)

I'm not understanding why people cant see why it doesnt make sense. It's not because Sauce isn't a great prospect because he is, its just that it doesnt make sense.

I for one think this draft is very short on talent first off. Every year the media and the talk shows all try to talk up the draft to get ratings. Gardner and Stingley are in the top 10 for best guys in the draft. It is a big drop off from the top 10. Hutch who has a strong chance of going 1 overall I think will struggle in the league. I see him as a 6-8 sack guy. He is not going to put up 12-15 sacks. I think KT can be better than Hutch if he gets the motivation to do it. That is a big if. He can be the 12 sack guy or a 5 sack guy depending on what he wants to do. My point is why take a WR (I think this class of WR is good but there is no WR1 in this class) in the top 10 if he is going to be your 3 WR or worse. I think Gardener and Stingley are the best 2 CB to come out in years. These guys will be pro bowlers. I would rather have a pro bowl CB than a #3 WR. The LB are weak, QB is weak, Safeties are okay, OL is strong, TE are weak, CB is very strong, RB are weak. You really don't have much to chose from in my eyes. That is why I want a CB. Taking guys because of needs is not the way to draft right now. You need young studs on your team period. Then you build from that. We do not have that many young studs on this team. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Agreed, not interested in taking a CB until round 4 or 5 then look for a guy like Jobe, Castro-Fields, Goodrich

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

So what makes sense?  We all want a DE/Edge at 4 but if Hutch and Thibs are gone, you want JJ?  Karlaftis?  Are those two really worthy of the #4 pick?  I don't think so.  At 10 yes.

JD did a good job filling holes with decent talent, not great, but decent.  There is not a position on this team that can't use a talent upgrade.  The biggest holes we have are slot WR, S, DE, and maybe LB.  Again, assuming Hutch and Thibs are gone, is there a player that fills a hole worthy of the #4 pick?  If not, get a top talent.  Otherwise JD would be drafting for need which, I believe, none of us want.

Since I don't think JJ or Karl are worthy of 4, my choice would be a great talent.  Sauce is probably the only notable player at that point.  I like Hamilton but his position and combine have caused me to rethink him at 4, 10 yes.  OL would be a good position selection but chances are they won't even play this year.

So I ask, if Hutch and Thibs are gone, whom would you choose?

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

So what makes sense?  We all want a DE/Edge at 4 but if Hutch and Thibs are gone, you want JJ?  Karlaftis?  Are those two really worthy of the #4 pick?  I don't think so.  At 10 yes.

JD did a good job filling holes with decent talent, not great, but decent.  There is not a position on this team that can't use a talent upgrade.  The biggest holes we have are slot WR, S, DE, and maybe LB.  Again, assuming Hutch and Thibs are gone, is there a player that fills a hole worthy of the #4 pick?  If not, get a top talent.  Otherwise JD would be drafting for need which, I believe, none of us want.

Since I don't think JJ or Karl are worthy of 4, my choice would be a great talent.  Sauce is probably the only notable player at that point.  I like Hamilton but his position and combine have caused me to rethink him at 4, 10 yes.  OL would be a good position selection but chances are they won't even play this year.

So I ask, if Hutch and Thibs are gone, whom would you choose?

Sauce 

walker-