2022 Offseason and FA Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, xrade said:

So what makes sense?  We all want a DE/Edge at 4 but if Hutch and Thibs are gone, you want JJ?  Karlaftis?  Are those two really worthy of the #4 pick?  I don't think so.  At 10 yes.

JD did a good job filling holes with decent talent, not great, but decent.  There is not a position on this team that can't use a talent upgrade.  The biggest holes we have are slot WR, S, DE, and maybe LB.  Again, assuming Hutch and Thibs are gone, is there a player that fills a hole worthy of the #4 pick?  If not, get a top talent.  Otherwise JD would be drafting for need which, I believe, none of us want.

Since I don't think JJ or Karl are worthy of 4, my choice would be a great talent.  Sauce is probably the only notable player at that point.  I like Hamilton but his position and combine have caused me to rethink him at 4, 10 yes.  OL would be a good position selection but chances are they won't even play this year.

So I ask, if Hutch and Thibs are gone, whom would you choose?

This is pretty much what I said. The talent is not good in this draft period. Once you get out of the top 10 you are hoping these guys are just NFL average starters. This is probably one of the worse drafts to be holding 2 picks in the top 10. Heck you don't even have a QB that is worth a top 10 pick, so it moves all the other positions up. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't get the idea of over reaching for an average guy. The Jets should be taking 2 of these 10 guys no matter the position. 

1. Hutch

2. KT

3. Neal

4. Icky

5. Gardner

6. Stingley

7. Hamilton

8. J. Williams

9. Linderbaum

10. G. Wilson/Burks Kind of a tie here. Heck maybe only 9 guys worth drafting. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

So what makes sense?  We all want a DE/Edge at 4 but if Hutch and Thibs are gone, you want JJ?  Karlaftis?  Are those two really worthy of the #4 pick?  I don't think so.  At 10 yes.

JD did a good job filling holes with decent talent, not great, but decent.  There is not a position on this team that can't use a talent upgrade.  The biggest holes we have are slot WR, S, DE, and maybe LB.  Again, assuming Hutch and Thibs are gone, is there a player that fills a hole worthy of the #4 pick?  If not, get a top talent.  Otherwise JD would be drafting for need which, I believe, none of us want.

Since I don't think JJ or Karl are worthy of 4, my choice would be a great talent.  Sauce is probably the only notable player at that point.  I like Hamilton but his position and combine have caused me to rethink him at 4, 10 yes.  OL would be a good position selection but chances are they won't even play this year.

So I ask, if Hutch and Thibs are gone, whom would you choose?

EDGE3 or Tackle1/2

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

EDGE3 or Tackle1/2

So your on board with JJ, Karl or Walker at 4?  OK. I am not but we each have an opinion. I would not mind an OT but why this year?  We have 2 starters. I understand the Fant thing. But you also said a CB who will play and most likely start will not make the team better. How is a third OT going to make it better by sitting. Trade Fant?  So we get rid of a starting OT to draft a starting OT. Team is still not better. I’d like an OT on day 2 as a replacement for Fant next year. I also think Neal will be gone by 4 so would Ickey be the pick?  I thought he was projected more as a OG. 

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

So your on board with JJ, Karl or Walker at 4?  OK. I am not but we each have an opinion. I would not mind an OT but why this year?  We have 2 starters. I understand the Fant thing. But you also said a CB who will play and most likely start will not make the team better. How is a third OT going to make it better by sitting. Trade Fant?  So we get rid of a starting OT to draft a starting OT. Team is still not better. I’d like an OT on day 2 as a replacement for Fant next year. I also think Neal will be gone by 4 so would Ickey be the pick?  I thought he was projected more as a OG. 

The difference between Corner and OT is Fant is in the last year of his deal and Becton is a huge(no pun intended) question mark and our Corners are all under contract for the forseeable future. We cannot have Zach being protected by Edoga or McDoormat so in any case its something I would be okay with if they pivoted away from EDGE because the gap between 2 and 3 was too big.

Corner is fine, even if Hall or Reed go down we know Dunn and Echols can step in, if Carter goes down Guidry can step in.

If Hutch and Thibs are gone I'd rather trade back but that isn't always possible. 

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You cant pick and choose when you want to use stats. So stats apply to DK but don't to Bosa and Adams? Adams stats have been significantly better in SEA than they were with us. Do I think he's a star? No. I'll listen to the debate that he's not worth his salary all day. I never wanted to draft or pay him. Could it be that we were such an awful team when he was here, that we as Jets fans overrated him? That's my take at least. But still the fact is that his stats are better in SEA than as a NYJ.

This can't be serious.. 

You looked at four statistics, included Jamal's rookie season in your averages, and came away thinking he's been better in SEA? Imagine the outrage that would ensure if we traded for Deebo and he put up consecutive 900yd seasons - would you argue he actually got better, since he only averaged 866yds a season in SF? I mean c'mon Bobby.. 

Not to mention, why only include four statistics? Why not mention his completion percentage jumped more than 20-points in his first season with SEA? His QB rating against, is collectively 25-points higher in SEA than it was here. He's allowing nearly 2x more YAC since being traded. FF, FR, PD, YDS against, missed tackle %, YDS/CMP... all worse with SEA. 

There's literally no way, objectively, to argue Jamal has been better with SEA... but I think you know that, so I digress. 

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

DK averages 1,060yds and 10tds a season. That's great. He's never had a bad season. And is still only 24. There's bottomless reasons on why he's so valuable. 26 WRs put up 1k, but how many had 12 TDs? 3 that's the answer. And the 3 ahead of him are Kupp, Evans and Jefferson. Elite players with great QBs throwing them the ball (Brady and Stafford elite, Cousins good). DK had Geno slinging it him for 4 games last season.

Bosa is a top 10 DE, I'll give you that, but he's not top 5. In fact he was 13th in the NFL for sacks last year, 130th in TFL, YES 130th. Was it just an OK season for Joey? Not so much, year before he only had 7.5 sacks. In fact if you average out his last 3 seasons he's a less than 10 sack guy per season.

Agree with DK from a value perspective, trajectory/potential is undeniable. Still think he has to prove it, but I see where you're coming from. TD #s are great, but in today's NFL you can't post sub 1,000yd receiving seasons and be GREAT. TDs aren't nearly as telling as you're portraying them to be - just in the past few years, guys like Golladay, Marvin Jones, Ebron, Tonyan, Jared Cook, Devante Parker.. all finished top-5 in TDs. Also, DKs stats were better with Geno.

As for Bosa... honestly not sure what you're looking at. Pretty clearly the worst season of his career, still arguably top-10. The 7.5 sacks came in 20' when he missed 4 or 5 games - still finished second in QB pressures, which is wild (3rd in 19'). Think you're really underselling what he's done to this point, be consistently great/elite from the jump. 

We're similarly aligned on the draft, so with you there. 

Would you guys rather see us draft Ikem or Neal or us draft Sauce or Walker?

For me I go OL. Fant is on his last year. And Becton is a question mark until proven otherwise. We could also trade Fant or even restructure him (I believe pretty much his whole deal this year is guaranteed). And let the best 2 of the 3 play.

Sauce if drafted is our 4th CB and Walker has vastly became my prospect who I don’t like in this draft. Still baffling to me how re shot up the board after the combine with little production. He actually doesn’t fit our system good at all. He’s best suited at a 3-4 DE. We’d draft him and quickly see he’s better from the IDL and still have a need for DE like we’ve had for over a decade.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Would you guys rather see us draft Ikem or Neal or us draft Sauce or Walker?

For me I go OL. Fant is on his last year. And Becton is a question mark until proven otherwise. We could also trade Fant or even restructure him (I believe pretty much his whole deal this year is guaranteed). And let the best 2 of the 3 play.

Sauce if drafted is our 4th CB and Walker has vastly became my prospect who I don’t like in this draft. Still baffling to me how re shot up the board after the combine with little production. He actually doesn’t fit our system good at all. He’s best suited at a 3-4 DE. We’d draft him and quickly see he’s better from the IDL and still have a need for DE like we’ve had for over a decade.

While I agree the OL route is probably the most responsible, protecting Wilson is of highest priority this year and years to come. I think Icky is a tier 1 prospect in this draft and would love to see a line with Becton, Icky, and AVT.

However, all this talk about Sauce (also a tier 1 prospect) being our 4th best CB is ludicrous. He would be on the field every snap be-it as a CB1 or CB2(as a rookie). Hall would probably take a back seat to MC2 and Reed but when has quality depth been an issue? I will continue to call for MC2 in a safety role which fixes another issue for us if we do go the Sauce route. 

Our division just got scarier at receiver and having a quality secondary can’t hurt. And yeah we’d still have to address the D-line.. but using a pick on Walker could be a coin flip where Sauce feels like an extremely solid pick.

“Penning could come off the board as early as No. 10 to the New York Jets. I’ve been reporting since the Senior Bowl that Penning is a favorite of general manager Joe Douglas. As we spoke about during last week’s edition of the Draft Insiders, the saga with Mekhi Becton continues.

Jets coaches have confided to several players the team will gooffensive tackle early in the draft. Whether early means the fourthselection, 10th pick, or the top of Round 2, I cannot tell at this point.”

I still think OT is a huge priority 

9 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

“Penning could come off the board as early as No. 10 to the New York Jets. I’ve been reporting since the Senior Bowl that Penning is a favorite of general manager Joe Douglas. As we spoke about during last week’s edition of the Draft Insiders, the saga with Mekhi Becton continues.

Jets coaches have confided to several players the team will gooffensive tackle early in the draft. Whether early means the fourthselection, 10th pick, or the top of Round 2, I cannot tell at this point.”

I still think OT is a huge priority 

Ya we see how good the gigantic mauler OT has worked for us

19 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If OT is a concern then get arguably the top player in the draft Ickey, not Penning.

Penning is going up my board fast. i love this guy. He is a beast that reminds me of Kyle Turley. I have Penning right beside Icky and Neal. I'm almost willing to put Penning over Neal. 

16 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Linderbaum falling to 35 would have Douglas melting.

Not sure he falls that far (I hope he does). But the guy is dropping down boards for no reason, when he’s an elite C prospect. Arguably the safest pick in the whole draft. I’d bet a good penny he’s a multiple time Pro bowler in his career