Am I alone on an island???

BillSabre

I know I’m definitely in the minority here but is it possible I’m completely alone on thinking Pittsburgh is gonna give KC a scare tonight and maybe even walk out of Arrowhead with a win? 

So many things are just too hard to ignore for me with this one. The Steelers are a proud franchise and although this year wasn’t great for them, they made it. A chip and a chair. Many 7 seeds who “just made it in” would feel immense pressure going into one of the craziest places to play in the league. Not Pittsburgh. This organization has seen it all. Ben has been written off like he’s a walking corpse. The man is an easy first ballot HOF QB. He is a winner. He is a leader. I think the pressure is all in KC in this game. 

Now KC is KC. They are expected to cruise here but I just don’t see it. I’ve seen Mahomes force so much this year when things aren’t going as planned that it puts that doubt in my head. Does anybody here think Denver is better than Pittsburgh right now? Denver was controlling KC pretty well until a huge turnover swung the game. Everybody knows you need to make players other than Hill and Kelce beat you and pressure Mahomes. You can do that and you have a chance. 

I could be totally wrong here and it’s a run away victory for the Chiefs but I don’t see it. Pittsburgh is being treated like Jacksonville here. Double digit dog who was lucky to get in. The butt of jokes for a week about the Big Ben retirement party happening on January 16 at Arrowhead?!?! 

I think this game has upset written all over it. 

Anything can happen for sure. How many times have a team that was (7-9) but won their division so they got into the playoffs and beat a team that was legit better but they didnt win their division they just got in as a very good wildcard team? Now the only difference is those (7-9) teams had the homefield advantage. The Steelers wont but what they will have is a defense led by TJ Watt. I feel like he will win the DPOY and he need to have that type of impact in this game. We need to come away from this game saying Watt was not just the best defensive player on the field, but the best player on the field. He need to have an Aaron Donald type game where he gets like 14 pressures, sacks Mahomes 3x, tip balls that at least one ends up in an int, maybe cause a fumble. He need to take over this game.

The Chiefs arent invincible by no means. They can be run on, their offense hasnt been consistently great all season long, and they are banged up. Mahomes have shown this season he can turn the ball over so the Steelers need to get at least two takeaways for them to have a shot. If Harris plays, the Steelers need to feed him the ball alot. Big Ben need to turn back the clock and play like the old Big Ben and not the OLD Big Ben. I dont think this game will be like it was when they met in the regular season. I think the score will be closer but I still have the Chiefs winning. The one thing I want to see from the Chiefs is them starting fast. For whatever reason, when they get into the playoffs they find themselves trailing seemingly in every game. If they trail in this game that will definitely give the Steelers a good shot bc you cant trail against a strong pass defense like the Steelers that is well coached by Tomlin. The Chiefs need to jump out early with a double digit lead to let the Steelers know they have no chance.  

No I think so too. And not because of “anything can happen.” KCs defense is holy **** bad. Pittsburgh has Friermuth and JuJu who they didn’t have a few weeks ago. But ya know. I’m not yelling at the top of my lungs that a team is going to compete with a team that beat them by 26 a few weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

No I think so too. And not because of “anything can happen.” KCs defense is holy **** bad. Pittsburgh has Friermuth and JuJu who they didn’t have a few weeks ago. But ya know. I’m not yelling at the top of my lungs that a team is going to compete with a team that beat them by 26 a few weeks ago.

• Like 3

This Steeler squad reminds me a lot of Chuck Noll's last playoff squad in 1989. After getting outscored 92-10 in the first two weeks of the season, no way anyone thought they'd make the playoffs. However they managed to crawl to a 9-7 record, and went on the road beating their division rival Houston 26-23 in overtime. Earlier that year the Oilers beat the Steelers 27-0 in Houston, and then 23-16 in Pittsburgh. The Oilers had crumbled the last two weeks of the season, but still for that squad to go on the road and do what it did with that lack of talent it had was remarkable. Maybe history can repeat itself in a way. Tomlin is still a great coach, and as for #7, well it's better to be a has-been than a never-was. Chiefs are favored by 12.5, which I think is a tad high, but we'll see what happens. All the pressure is on the Chiefs since everyone assumes the Steelers are going to get murdered. 

34 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I think the fact that The Steelers got whooped plays to their advantage personally. 

Any team can win on a given Sunday.   But PIT probably needs a 2+ if not 3+ TO differential to win (and I do count 4th down stops as TO's).   Otherwise.....tough draw.    KC matches up so well with PIT.  

The difference from last time is Tyreek Hill may not be close to healthy.   And CEH out / Darrel Williams with turf toe, it does limit the run game output (Gore is a great story, but only 1 healthy RB is very different than a 3-headed attack that can sustain high levels of play for 60 mins).  It's partly why I'm on PIT +13.5.   But a straight win is a tougher draw.   I do expect it should be closer than last time (duh), but outside of a bad Mahomes day (looking at you TJ Watt), well, it's a narrow road to get there.

7 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

If the Steelers win, the league is more fixed than I thought.

So you’re saying that the LEAGUE would want Pittsburgh to move on instead of the Chiefs? Good luck selling that theory. It’s more likely the Chiefs get some questionable calls going their way as the league would much rather have Chiefs/Bills next week over Tenn/Pitt.