Where do the Patriots go from here?

notthatbluestuff

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

What if I told you that outside of 2 starters, the rest of the defense is well under 30 years old? 

Assuming you mean McCourty and Hightower, there are a bunch more guys who are either >30 now (Guy, Van Noy, Collins) or will be next season (Phillips, Judon)

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Not sure that makes my statement any less true

I would argue that at least a couple of guys would be a liability if they were brought back next year. Guy played ~40% of defensive snaps this season and started all 17 games; Van Noy played ~75%. Putting that into consideration and assuming the team needs to move on from both of them (in addition to Hightower and McCourty), that means you're down 4 starters from 2021. It's not a huge turnover, but it's a significant one, especially with uncertainty about who's going to replace them in the lineup (Barmore already played more snaps than Guy; Uche has been injury-prone; we still haven't seen Perkins, etc.)

Edited by Apparition

16 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

The highly ranked 1996 Broncos D was a joke.

They gave up 30 points, 443 total yards, and 203 on the ground at home vs the Jags.

They had 5 guys on D in their 30s and 2 more who would be 30 by 1997.

How'd that work out?

Ahhh, aging HOF QB and Young HOF RB carrying them? Pretty sure the Patriots will have neither next season.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Ahhh, aging HOF QB and Young HOF RB carrying them? Pretty sure the Patriots will have neither next season.

Its a direct contradiction of some pretty weak assumptions about people having a 3 in their ages.

Elway and Davis did not play a snap on D for 1997 or 1998.

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

Its a direct contradiction of some pretty weak assumptions about people having a 3 in their ages.

Elway and Davis did not play a snap on D for 1997 or 1998.

It was a totally different AFC back then. Who were the other great QBs in the conference at the time? Bledsoe? Brunell? Marino was on his last legs. Steve McNair hadn't entered his prime yet. Peyton Manning was a rookie in 1998. In other words, the Broncos didn't really have stiff competition within the conference in those years, let alone the division.
Different story for the Pats. They have a top-5 QB within the division to contend with, not to mention guys like Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow and Jackson in the conference (and that's if Lawrence and Zach Wilson don't turn it around). If they can't build a defense to stop the elite QBs of the league, they have very little shot.

20 minutes ago, Apparition said:

It was a totally different AFC back then. Who were the other great QBs in the conference at the time? Bledsoe? Brunell? Marino was on his last legs. Steve McNair hadn't entered his prime yet. Peyton Manning was a rookie in 1998. In other words, the Broncos didn't really have stiff competition within the conference in those years, let alone the division.
Different story for the Pats. They have a top-5 QB within the division to contend with, not to mention guys like Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow and Jackson in the conference (and that's if Lawrence and Zach Wilson don't turn it around). If they can't build a defense to stop the elite QBs of the league, they have very little shot.

None of this means anything in any way. Are you saying 30 year old players can't function playing against Tua and Zach Wilson 2x a year?

They will play NFC teams 5x and KC once at max (often not at all)

Herbert is 15-17 in 2 seasons but just you wait for those magical 31 year old defensive player killing skills next year!!!

Lamar, Baker, Carr, Rudolph, and Denver QB1 are basically gods. All 32 year old AFC defenders should just retire now?

What the heck will Pat Mahomes have to do with the 2022 Patriots defensive rankings?

Wilson and Lawrence were garbage rookies. Pretending you can neutralize 30 year old defensive players because you think they might blossom?

Someone was blathering about how a defense must crumble because some dudes are 30+

I gave an example of a defense of a similar age that was dominant for years to come after that point.

I doubt anyone thinks 30 was young in 1995 but now 30 is old in 2021.

1 minute ago, SkippyX said:

None of this means anything in any way. Are you saying 30 year old players can't function playing against Tua and Zach Wilson 2x a year?

They will play NFC teams 5x and KC once at max (often not at all)

Herbert is 15-17 in 2 seasons but just you wait for those magical 31 year old defensive player killing skills next year!!!

Lamar, Baker, Carr, Rudolph, and Denver QB1 are basically gods. All 32 year old AFC defenders should just retire now?

What the heck will Pat Mahomes have to do with the 2022 Patriots defensive rankings?

Wilson and Lawrence were garbage rookies. Pretending you can neutralize 30 year old defensive players because you think they might blossom?

Someone was blathering about how a defense must crumble because some dudes are 30+

I gave an example of a defense of a similar age that was dominant for years to come after that point.

I doubt anyone thinks 30 was young in 1995 but now 30 is old in 2021.

The goal is not to have nice defensive rankings. The goal is to reach the Super Bowl, which means having to get through some combination of Allen/Mahomes/Herbert/Burrow/Jackson. 

Edited by Apparition

I can’t help but thinking the Patriots are where they should be..

Your team is pretty bad on paper. You lose to good teams, smash bad teams and steal an occasional surprise win because you have BB and the culture. 

That game was embarrassing, but Bills clearly know exactly how to expose your defense. I don’t know exactly what it is they done,  but you seem very easy to play against for a team like Buffalo. I’d imagine my Chiefs would destroy your team as well due to speed

Next steps: nail draft for speed, both sides of ball. 

Edited by BigTrav
  • Like 1