Playoff Chat: and now The Bowl

vike daddy

19 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

I guess I'll root for LA to take it all now, as Stafford's story is a good one, as is their entire team's.

Agreed. Pulling for Stafford here. Kind of like their approach to roster building too so curious to see a team win it all trading away top picks (knowing you’re picking in the 20s/30s) for proven high end talent and what that looks like 2 years from now for the Rams. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Agreed. Pulling for Stafford here. Kind of like their approach to roster building too so curious to see a team win it all trading away top picks (knowing you’re picking in the 20s/30s) for proven high end talent and what that looks like 2 years from now for the Rams. 

I don't think it's going to look pretty. They're going to be stuck with a lot of aging vets on bloated contracts with tons of dead money for cutting them. They aren't going to have young talent to replace them and will continually have to trade away future picks to restock the shelves. Or they'll go through cap hell to purge the roster of declining talent and go through at least a few years of restocking the cupboards through the draft. I think it looks good for McVay and Snead now, but when that bill comes due, the Rams will be a mess throughout the organization. 

Definitely built for a one-two year run, but I don't see their strategy as being a viable long term, dynasty-building, solution.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I don't think it's going to look pretty. They're going to be stuck with a lot of aging vets on bloated contracts with tons of dead money for cutting them. They aren't going to have young talent to replace them and will continually have to trade away future picks to restock the shelves. Or they'll go through cap hell to purge the roster of declining talent and go through at least a few years of restocking the cupboards through the draft. I think it looks good for McVay and Snead now, but when that bill comes due, the Rams will be a mess throughout the organization. 

Definitely built for a one-two year run, but I don't see their strategy as being a viable long term, dynasty-building, solution.

Basically comes down to being able to find a replacement for Stafford. Then again, they got to a SB with Goff. Perhaps they simply have a special coach and they can take those risks.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Basically comes down to being able to find a replacement for Stafford. Then again, they got to a SB with Goff. Perhaps they simply have a special coach and they can take those risks.

They got to the Super Bowl with Goff on a rookie deal. They could afford those contracts. Even Stafford was a bargain this year. They'll likely extend him in the offseason. But it's hard to find a replacement for Stafford when you've traded all of your picks away.

Stafford/Cupp/OBJ and Darius Williams are all going to have to be paid. Cupp and Stafford are severely below their market value. 

Again, I think the strategy works for a 1-2 year run, but when things go south, they're going to go south in a hurry, and in a bad, bad way. 

• Like 1

After giving up three touchdowns on three drives and falling behind 21-3 in the first half of the AFC Championship Game, the Bengals needed to try something new in order to advance to the Super Bowl.

Their play in the second half and overtime showed that they picked the right tweak to their approach. Per Next Gen Stats, they dropped eight or more players into coverage on almost half of the Chiefs’ passing plays after halftime and Patrick Mahomes struggled to make plays against those looks.

The Chiefs scored just three points and turned the ball over twice, including the interception by Bengals safety Vonn Bell in overtime that set up Evan McPherson‘s game-winning field goal.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/31/vonn-bell-we-had-to-change-our-looks-disguises-for-second-half/

Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford and Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow have taken very different paths to Super Bowl LVI, but they both started their careers the same way, as the first overall pick in the NFL draft.

Stafford vs. Burrow is just the second time that both Super Bowl starting quarterbacks were first overall picks. The first time was six years ago, when Peyton Manning’s Broncos beat Cam Newton‘s Panthers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/31/matthew-stafford-joe-burrow-are-second-pair-of-no-1-overall-pick-qbs-to-meet-in-the-super-bowl/

Is anyone else as amazed as me about the past two weeks of playoff football?    Heck, the whole season, no team really separated themselves as a dominant force.   I have a mind full of football memories and statistics . . . And 4 games decided by a FG and two OT games in the divisional rd and conference championships?   Well, that's a new one, euphoric even.   The NFL couldn't plan parity any better . . . If only a certain team were involved.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

so do we want K/O and the Rams to win the Super Bowl to give him that kind of confidence sendoff before coming to Minny, or to lose the SB so he'll be hungry to get back?

I guess I'd prefer that he win, so he knows what it takes to get there and win.