Free Agent Wish List

Texas_OutLaw7

On 2/22/2022 at 3:13 PM, WizardHawk said:

This seems encouraging anyway. 

Encouraging to a point.  Kearse exceeded expectations.  I don't doubt the sentiments he expressed.  He will want to get paid.  Has Dallas prioritized resigning Kearse and can the Cowboys afford him?

On 2/3/2022 at 3:09 AM, DaBoys said:

$3M MAX?

We want OJ Howard because we don’t like our currently contracted TE Blake Jarwin right?

Jarwin will make $4.5M in 2022 and averages $5.5 a year.

Anthony Firkser makes $3M a year. Chris Manhertz makes $3.4M a year. Mercedes Lewis is about to turn 38 years old in May and he makes $4M a year.

OJ Howard is 27, and was picked 19th overall in the draft. They gave him $3M a year before he stepped foot on an NFL field. 

$3M is certainly close to the range with his current production(or lack thereof) but given the propensity for people to overpay in FA(especially for athletic upside or first round pedigree or in this case both) coupled with the current average annual salary for scrub TEs, I’d say $3M a year is probably closer to the MIN than the MAX. 

Also, we would have to restructure half the roster to even create $3M. 

We can’t afford OJ Howard. 

Not that these mean anything. But I wanted to circle back that it is considered by some that OJ is gonna be had for cheap. 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 5:05 PM, Northland said:

Encouraging to a point.  Kearse exceeded expectations.  I don't doubt the sentiments he expressed.  He will want to get paid.  Has Dallas prioritized resigning Kearse and can the Cowboys afford him?

There is an article on spotrac about us if you are interested. It details how we can get $70m in the black if we wanted too. 

So yea, we can basically afford anyone we want to. Its just a matter of priorities. 

What a off season coming up.   I thought last year with Dak was going to crazy.  This year is beyond that.  
personally i want us to keep As many of our FA as we can.  But yes we could survive not having DLaw and Coop.  Actually Schultz can go.  There are it seems a ton of 3M guys who could fill his roll on our team even if we loose Coop.  But I would that answer before the draft.  

14 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

There is an article on spotrac about us if you are interested. It details how we can get $70m in the black if we wanted too. 

So yea, we can basically afford anyone we want to. Its just a matter of priorities. 

Interesting.  It's a pivotal off season (hell aren't they all) with so many solid contributors who are either free agents or restructuring candidates. Every team that views themselves as close will be debating internally the Rams method of splash moves/win now vs the steady build method.  As you say it's a matter of priorities.

21 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Not if we pay Schultz his ever deserving $50 million per year.

• Like 1

You have to resign Gregory #1

Kearse #2

it sounds like Gallup is close to resigning?

Something must be going on with Cooper because they took all the retractions about the Cowboys either trading or releasing Cooper ?

Release Brown & Lewis and sign Desmond King

Quadree Diggs sign better quality safety

You can't get stuck in another situation with over paying a position if your going to pay Schultz than Jarwin needs to go.

Trade Smith or Collins they can't be depended on anymore get something for them while you can.

16 hours ago, cowboysdreamer said:

You have to resign Gregory #1

Kearse #2

it sounds like Gallup is close to resigning?

Something must be going on with Cooper because they took all the retractions about the Cowboys either trading or releasing Cooper ?

Release Brown & Lewis and sign Desmond King

Quadree Diggs sign better quality safety

You can't get stuck in another situation with over paying a position if your going to pay Schultz than Jarwin needs to go.

Trade Smith or Collins they can't be depended on anymore get something for them while you can.

The issue here is that the more players you trade, cut, or allow to leave in free agency, the more players you have to replace them with. And, given this team’s open lack of interest in spending in free agency, you can’t expect rookies and 3rd-4th tier free agents to pick up that much slack.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

The issue here is that the more players you trade, cut, or allow to leave in free agency, the more players you have to replace them with. And, given this team’s open lack of interest in spending in free agency, you can’t expect rookies and 3rd-4th tier free agents to pick up that much slack.

this is a good point.  I wonder though as last year we brought in a large amount of FA's on the D side.   IF we loose those same number will we replace them with FA.  Right now if I had to pick one expensive piece to let go it would be Tank. But you better sign Gregory then. I also would like to keep either Kearse or Kazee. 

On 3/7/2022 at 10:56 AM, plan9misfit said:

If Jerry has already spoke with Cooper & Lawrence over taking pay cuts it must be hitting home that He isn't getting BIG BOY production from the big contracts given out. So now he's reevaluating all his free agents to see if their worth a pay raise. You need to start trading away pieces on your roster that are weak and not getting quality performance you just can't keep putting out this roster on the field year after year and hoping to win a Super Bowl.

12 hours ago, cowboysdreamer said:

If Jerry has already spoke with Cooper & Lawrence over taking pay cuts it must be hitting home that He isn't getting BIG BOY production from the big contracts given out. So now he's reevaluating all his free agents to see if their worth a pay raise. You need to start trading away pieces on your roster that are weak and not getting quality performance you just can't keep putting out this roster on the field year after year and hoping to win a Super Bowl.

The failure is giving them those massive deals in the first place, and then putting yourself into a bad cap position once you have to dump them. It just further highlights how incompetent he is as a “GM”.