Raiders moving on from GM Mike Mayock

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So this is how you feel he developed his big boards every time he analyzed the draft for NFLN?

More or less, he has sources within each organization he uses to provide with helpful information. I do it, Walter does it, McShay, Kiper, Marino, etc... 

As an analyst on TV, he is way to busy to do all this leg work on his own without help along the way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostnote said:

More or less, he has sources within each organization he uses to provide with helpful information. I do it, Walter does it, McShay, Kiper, Marino, etc... 

As an analyst on TV, he is way to busy to do all this leg work on his own without help along the way. 

You list your best players available in the draft based on what other people think? Interesting concept.

I just look at who I think the best player is and rank them accordingly. The team has nothing to do w/ it. Figured this is what everyone did b/c that's what makes sense.

11 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You list your best players available in the draft based on what other people think? Interesting concept.

I just look at who I think the best player is and rank them accordingly. The team has nothing to do w/ it. Figured this is what everyone did b/c that's what makes sense.

Right, you've never looked at another Big Board before, sure. That's believable. 

1 hour ago, Jraider91 said:

Right, you've never looked at another Big Board before, sure. That's believable. 

I've looked at plenty of big boards, champ. The general consensus is there is no standard way to build a board as read here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31209852/nfl-draft-board-building-101-secretive-yearlong-grind

I've yet to hear of anyone building a draft board with a mock draft in mind though. That's a new one. I doubt many GMs and team personnel build their boards that way either. I could certainly be wrong though

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I've looked at plenty of big boards, champ. The general consensus is there is no standard way to build a board as read here:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31209852/nfl-draft-board-building-101-secretive-yearlong-grind

I've yet to hear of anyone building a draft board with a mock draft in mind though. That's a new one. I doubt many GMs and team personnel build their boards that way either. I could certainly be wrong though

We aren't talking about GMs? Do you actually read posts you respond to? We are talking about talking heads, they canvas and aggregate opinion from the BBs of real GMs - you actually think Mel Kiper is breaking down tape of a LBer from BYU? 

Once Mayock lost that ability his drafting had some disasters (mixed in with some hits). 

2 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

We aren't talking about GMs? Do you actually read posts you respond to? We are talking about talking heads, they canvas and aggregate opinion from the BBs of real GMs - you actually think Mel Kiper is breaking down tape of a LBer from BYU? 

Once Mayock lost that ability his drafting had some disasters (mixed in with some hits). 

You know the difference between a "mock draft" and a "big board", right? Here's some reading material.

https://www.nbadraft.net/forums/reply/difference-between-mock-draft-and-big-board-2/

I know it's referencing the NBA but the concept remains the same. 

And yes, I think Mel Kiper is breaking down that LBs tape. I'd think you're the minority if you think otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

You know the difference between a "mock draft" and a "big board", right? Here's some reading material.

https://www.nbadraft.net/forums/reply/difference-between-mock-draft-and-big-board-2/

I know it's referencing the NBA but the concept remains the same. 

And yes, I think Mel Kiper is breaking down that LBs tape. I'd think you're the minority if you think otherwise. 

lol you got caught thinking people were discussing GMs using Kiper's BB and now you're backtracking. Yikes. He looks at tape, sure but his BB come from speaking to league sources who tip him on where prospects will likely go. He had Ikem Ekwonu as his 18# prospect in Dec, now he is saying he could be the first tackle off the board and is a top 5 prospect. That is because he has aggregated opinion and moved him

13 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

lol you got caught thinking people were discussing GMs using Kiper's BB and now you're backtracking. Yikes. He looks at tape, sure but his BB come from speaking to league sources who tip him on where prospects will likely go. He had Ikem Ekwonu as his 18# prospect in Dec, now he is saying he could be the first tackle off the board and is a top 5 prospect. That is because he has aggregated opinion and moved him

Dude, you're trying too hard to get me in a "gotcha" moment ever since I pointed out you said Aaron Donald was "just a run stopper" and is "easy to find". 

I'm not backtracking anything. You simply just don't understand. You really just said "you really think Kiper looks at tape" in a mocking sense then agreed he does lol. I'd also be willing to bet you're wrong about how he forms his big board as well. Very wrong. You're a confusing individual. 

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Dude, you're trying too hard to get me in a "gotcha" moment ever since I pointed out you said Aaron Donald was "just a run stopper" and is "easy to find". 

I'm not backtracking anything. You simply just don't understand. You really just said "you really think Kiper looks at tape" in a mocking sense then agreed he does lol. You're a very confusing individual. 

His tape doesn't drive his ratings, he was worried about Ekwonu's small arms and thought he might play inside a month ago. Now he thinks he is a LT in the NFL. Make that make sense, no i proved you were being totally dishonest in that exchanged which you ignored x2. 

I get the impression you are easily confused. 

8 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So a coach ****ty at drafting since he took over for Schneider and the LOB.

The GOAT who is HC/GM

Shanahan? Ahhh OK?

You asked what coaches that have final say in personnel decisions have had success?

Wasn't Pete Carroll always in that role for the Seahawks? That's one of the things that inspired him to leave USC, IIRC.

BB still has had final say.

And doesn't Kyle have final say in SF? They've went to a Super Bowl and are now in the divisional round. 

Overall I get what you're saying, it is extremely rare for a coach to find success if they're also in control of personnel decisions. Because typically GM's take a long term approach to things while coaches are trying to win now.

• Like 1