The GM Thread: Raiders hire Zeigler

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but Dodds was one of the instruments behind the legion of boom.  I know the harbaugh connection, but there's a clear Wilson connection .  I wonder if he goes hard after Wilson if we hire him

Yeah, IIRC wasn't he one of the biggest influences in the Seattle FO pushing for them to draft Wilson. There have also been some rumblings that Mark wants a superstar QB. I'd be open to trading Carr, 2021 2nd, and 2023 1st for Wilson. 

@Silver&Black88 @NickButera @MrOaktown_56 Could we add a poll to the OP w/ multiple options?

Who are you hoping for at GM? 

1. Ed Dodds

2. Dwayne Joseph

3. John Spytek

4. Dave Ziegler

5. Trey Brown

6. Champ Kelly

7. Juston Webster

8. Brandon Hunt

9. Other

1. Ed Dodds

2. Dwayne Joseph

3. John Spytek

4. Dave Ziegler

5. Trey Brown

6. Champ Kelly

7. Juston Webster

8. Brandon Hunt

9. Other

1. Ed Dodds

2. Dwayne Joseph

3. John Spytek

4. Dave Ziegler

5. Trey Brown

6. Champ Kelly

7. Juston Webster

8. Brandon Hunt

9. Other

Etc etc. Same as the HC thread, it would be fun to look back at.

I just hope that Mark Davis and Marcel Reece (can't believe that guy is a prominent advisor...) won't mess up the GM hire, because of a guy like JMD.

I get that JMD and his scheme on offense could mean a happy Carr and a relevant Raiders O in the short term, but since the Patriots are a below average drafting team and last years FA spending spree was too expensive for my taste I do not want Ziegler at GM.

Dodds or Hunt would be a much better option IMO. I could believe those guys could guide is into the right direction. 

I would much rather have either of these guys and even a rookie HC like M.Mcdaniel/D.Ryans, then the BB tree...

Yeah in 2022 we would be worse, but the long term future would be brighter IMO. Even if the HC doesn't work out Dodds or Hunt could/should get another HC for an improved roster in 2,3 years time...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I just hope that Mark Davis and Marcel Reece (can't believe that guy is a prominent advisor...) won't mess up the GM hire, because of a guy like JMD.

I get that JMD and his scheme on offense could mean a happy Carr and a relevant Raiders O in the short term, but since the Patriots are a below average drafting team and last years FA spending spree was too expensive for my taste I do not want Ziegler at GM.

Dodds or Hunt would be a much better option IMO. I could believe those guys could guide is into the right direction. 

I would much rather have either of these guys and even a rookie HC like M.Mcdaniel/D.Ryans, then the BB tree...

Yeah in 2022 we would be worse, but the long term future would be brighter IMO. Even if the HC doesn't work out Dodds or Hunt could/should get another HC for an improved roster in 2,3 years time...

Only thing I am clinging to on Ziegler is that this was rumoured to be the first draft BB stepped away from and it was an excellent one

2 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Only thing I am clinging to on Ziegler is that this was rumoured to be the first draft BB stepped away from and it was an excellent one

I haven't read about this. Would be a story we could use to justify the hiring I guess :)

3 hours ago, Rolni said:

Reece, a former average FB, being Davis main advisor as we prepare to make two of, if not the, most important hires in franchise history is odd, lol.

4 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Eh their free agent moves very up and down. 

I like the move for them to sign both of the tight ends, signing Nelly was a good move in theory, and obviously I like the matt Judon signing. I also like that they saw Christian Barmore as a steal in the second round(which was how I saw it at the time)

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I like the move for them to sign both of the tight ends, signing Nelly was a good move in theory, and obviously I like the matt Judon signing. I also like that they saw Christian Barmore as a steal in the second round(which was how I saw it at the time)

Nelly was not a good move at that money, a drastic overpay Jonnu was a disaster for his money as well.