The GM Thread: Raiders hire Zeigler

RaidersAreOne

18 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Nelly was not a good move at that money, a drastic overpay Jonnu was a disaster for his money as well. 

again the theory was good. For me I'm more concerned about what a GM was thinking when they decide to sign or draft someone rather than how it pans out. Because how it pans out is also circumstantial. 

For example Nelly Jonnu had upside in the type of offense of the patriots run. No to the kind of guys that you would need to bring in an order to make a young rookie quarterback like Mac Jones work. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Reece, a former average FB, being Davis main advisor as we prepare to make two of, if not the, most important hires in franchise history is odd, lol.

First of all he was a very good FB and secondly why would that have any bearing on whether he's a good adviser? He may be very astute, he may not be, who the heck knows? 😁😁

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

again the theory was good. For me I'm more concerned about what a GM was thinking when they decide to sign or draft someone rather than how it pans out. Because how it pans out is also circumstantial. 

For example Nelly Jonnu had upside in the type of offense of the patriots run. No to the kind of guys that you would need to bring in an order to make a young rookie quarterback like Mac Jones work. 

Signing an average wide receiver for too much money is not a good theory. Nothing about the signing is justifiable. In theory Littleton was a good signing. 

9 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Signing an average wide receiver for too much money is not a good theory. Nothing about the signing is justifiable. In theory Littleton was a good signing. 

Actually no Cory Littleton was not(I was actually going to use that as an example of how a mood doesn't make sense in theory).

Littleton didn't fit with the Raiders wanted to do with PG defense at all. It's actually why there were even reports that Paul Gunther didn't actually want Cory Littleton but Gruden kind of forced it. I need doesn't do well it's one of those things where of course because there was no rhyme or reason to it. It's basically just trying to make a splash

By contrast Kwiat was a good signing in theory because he was basically the prototypical PG style linebacker you had seen since his days on the bengals(or even the the vikings had.  So even when Gus Bradley shows up a year later and he doesn't really do well it's more because he didn't fit with Gus Bradley does, it at least makes sense. 

Edited by Jeremy408

17 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Actually no Cory Littleton was not(I was actually going to use that as an example of how a mood doesn't make sense in theory).

Littleton didn't fit with the Raiders wanted to do with PG defense at all. It's actually why there were even reports that Paul Gunther didn't actually want Cory Littleton but Gruden kind of forced it. I need doesn't do well it's one of those things where of course because there was no rhyme or reason to it. It's basically just trying to make a splash

By contrast Kwiat was a good signing in theory because he was basically the prototypical PG style linebacker you had seen since his days on the bengals(or even the the vikings had.  So even when Gus Bradley shows up a year later and he doesn't really do well it's more because he didn't fit with Gus Bradley does, it at least makes sense. 

I disagree Littleton didn't fit PG D, he fit the man coverage LBer for the Cover 6 we used all the time. 

On 1/28/2022 at 7:29 AM, NYRaider said:

Reece, a former average FB, being Davis main advisor as we prepare to make two of, if not the, most important hires in franchise history is odd, lol.

wasn't he an all pro. I actually trust Reece more than Mark going to some of his old dads type of guys. Art Shell and them are too old

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jraider91 said:

Reece was always one of my favourites ngl. A great H-Back 

For real. I do not like all the Reece slander going on. Dude was my favorite Raider of that era. Sure it was dark times as our FB/H Back, punter and kicker were our best players. They were all elite league wide though. 

If you have any recollection of Reece when he would do interviews and stuff he always struck me as a smart guy. I don't doubt he could be a good advisor type. And lastly, dude was a Raider for a long time when the team was awful and still loves the silver and black. We used to take pride on once a Raider always a Raider. Now we too often IMO look to knock down the former players still involved in one way or another for one of a bunch of stupid reasons. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

For real. I do not like all the Reece slander going on. Dude was my favorite Raider of that era. Sure it was dark times as our FB/H Back, punter and kicker were our best players. They were all elite league wide though. 

If you have any recollection of Reece when he would do interviews and stuff he always struck me as a smart guy. I don't doubt he could be a good advisor type. And lastly, dude was a Raider for a long time when the team was awful and still loves the silver and black. We used to take pride on once a Raider always a Raider. Now we too often IMO look to knock down the former players still involved in one way or another for one of a bunch of stupid reasons. 

Reece was was the Mr. Raider of his miserable era. He did all he could to champion the S&B when they were at their lowest point. 

He was an undrafted WR who became a FB and had some really good moments as a ball carrier.

I agree, he seems very well spoken and smart. He is steeped in Raider history. He knows what matters in the organization. He knows the legacy of this team.

• Like 2