The GM Thread: Raiders hire Zeigler

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Littleton was good for the Rams but I think a lot of that was due to playing behind a dominant DL with an elite defensive coordinator. LaMarcus Joyner was a solid FS and we pigeon holed him at SCB. Kwit was never even a full time starter and we paid him a ton, not to mention Collins was supposedly the key to the defense. 

What big named FA did we sign outside of Yannick? Drake was a bust, all of the veteran WR we bought in were busts, etc.

He also whiffed on a ton of early draft picks.

I completely forgot about the Maleik Collins fiasco!  How could I!  So Many people On this board swore he was going to be this amazing pass rusher for us….. I laughed at the idea.  There was one PFF graphic where he and Maurice Hurst scored high and a Twitter video where he showed a nice spin move for a sack….and that convinced everyone there was no need to watch any tape or look Any further.  

I watched a Few Dallas games and it became immediately obvious to me he was not the answer.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

If Harbaugh is named the coach….. who does he bring in to be the OC?  It seems likely Vic Fangio would be the DC, but i Haven’t seen many OC options linked to Harbaugh.

Pep Hamilton would be my guess. He worked with Harbaugh at Stanford and then was their OC for 2 years after he left before he followed Luck to Indy where he was their OC for 3 seasons with mixed results, a lot of which had to do with Luck being hurt, a poor OL, and a poor running game. After his stint in Indy he worked under Harbaugh again for 2 years at Michigan, was a head coach in the XFL, and has been a QB coach for the Chargers and Texans the last two seasons.

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly what I was saying.

I wonder what the picks would have been if we had Bradley instead of Guenther.  And I 100% agree with the Cable comments.  I have been saying it for a long time.  Who cares what a positional coach wants.  Gruden even said the same thing about Cable during the 2018 draft.  Why do so many people listen to that guy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Pep Hamilton would be my guess. He worked with Harbaugh at Stanford and then was their OC for 2 years after he left before he followed Luck to Indy where he was their OC for 3 seasons with mixed results, a lot of which had to do with Luck being hurt, a poor OL, and a poor running game. After his stint in Indy he worked under Harbaugh again for 2 years at Michigan, was a head coach in the XFL, and has been a QB coach for the Chargers and Texans the last two seasons.

that’s the only name I’ve been seeing.  Apparently he’s a hot OC commodity and interviewing for the Panthers OC job.  Have there been any other names mentioned?

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I wonder what the picks would have been if we had Bradley instead of Guenther.  And I 100% agree with the Cable comments.  I have been saying it for a long time.  Who cares what a positional coach wants.  Gruden even said the same thing about Cable during the 2018 draft.  Why do so many people listen to that guy.

We traded up for Brandon Parker because he was Cable's guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

that’s the only name I’ve been seeing.  Apparently he’s a hot OC commodity and interviewing for the Panthers OC job.  Have there been any other names mentioned?

There haven't been that I know of, but considering their history together I'd imagine he would be Harbaugh's first choice. I think Pep would serve in more of an Olson role though with Harbaugh calling the plays.

57 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If we miss on Harbaugh, who are your ideal staffs?

I dont know who, but it worries me a lot that we seem to be interviewing both potential hc's and potential gm's at the same time.

I want us to sign a GM who gets "all the power" and he then starts looking at his 2 or 3 hc candidates. 

5 minutes ago, Roninho said:

I dont know who, but it worries me a lot that we seem to be interviewing both potential hc's and potential gm's at the same time.

I want us to sign a GM who gets "all the power" and he then starts looking at his 2 or 3 hc candidates. 

If we hire Dodds then the Colts DC seems like a good, realistic option. But I agree it's almost insane to be looking for both at the same time.

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

Same. 

I'm just glad he did. Makes me more optimistic about the HC search, tbh 

I am glad that he wasn't afraid to move on and accepted that this team with its current leadership had probably reached its ceiling. I am just slightly upset that he waited so long to can Mayock. I can understand Rich because you don't want to distract the team but Mayock should've been informed he was out a few weeks ago.