The GM Thread: Raiders hire Zeigler

RaidersAreOne

5 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

Worse cultures to come from? Titans literally only one that has been a success and that was with a coach who hadn't worked under BB as a coach. There is literally no evidence of what you are saying as being successful i.e NE GM and coach pairing. 

Detriot Lions all over again. 

Bill O'Brien was a good coach at Penn State. And took Houston to the playoff 4 out of 6 seasons before going nuclear on their roster. 

Detroit all over again is such hyperbole. They Lions have not been able to establish anything for decades. Patricia was a rube from the jump. At least give McDaniels the benefit of the doubt that he flamed out in his first HC job and maybe he learned something from the experience.

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

Had to laugh when I saw the article, gotta go through the process? Mark is playing his hand just fine. Especially compared to last time. Still think dodds and harbs are his guys and I’m stickin by that! He has 2 minority candidates interviewed now (and they’re quality guys) now he’s free to hire the gm he wants IMO. 

Feels like Dodds/Harbaugh are plan A. McD/Ziegler plan B.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Feels like Dodds/Harbaugh are plan A. McD/Ziegler plan B.

Was just thinking this. David went into this with a plan, maybe 2. Otherwise he'd be interviewing all the top HC candidates out there and getting a feel for them. Instead we've got a distinct grouping pattern. Rooney rule candidates that are up and coming coordinators but not top choices, a NE connection and a Harbaugh connection. 

Would not surprise me if a domino falls soon and his cards are shown.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Bill O'Brien was a good coach at Penn State. And took Houston to the playoff 4 out of 6 seasons before going nuclear on their roster. 

Detroit all over again is such hyperbole. They Lions have not been able to establish anything for decades. Patricia was a rube from the jump. At least give McDaniels the benefit of the doubt that he flamed out in his first HC job and maybe he learned something from the experience.

BoB was horrific, gifted generational players in Houston then destroyed the franchise. McDaniels has given me nothing to give him the benefit of the doubt over, failed HC then failed OC. Without goat he is nothing

Dodds GM and Harbaugh Head Coach is a solid “experience” plan. 

Brown GM and Daboll HC + a Rookie QB is a solid youth plan. Daboll is a master at developing mobile QB’s. Brown is also a very proven scout, although young. 

Would be interesting to see what Jim could do with Carr. He turned Alex Smith and Kaepernick into reputable QB’s. He was also the QB Coach during Gannon’s 2002 MVP year. 

Obviously I still get flak for thinking Carr is not the answer, he’s simply not all that great. But if we are looking for just good QB play with a good offensive mind + a Top 5 Defense, that’s always a solid option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Dodds GM and Harbaugh Head Coach is a solid “experience” plan. 

Brown GM and Daboll HC + a Rookie QB is a solid youth plan. Daboll is a master at developing mobile QB’s. Brown is also a very proven scout, although young. 

Would be interesting to see what Jim could do with Carr. He turned Alex Smith and Kaepernick into reputable QB’s. He was also the QB Coach during Gannon’s 2002 MVP year. 

Obviously I still get flak for thinking Carr is not the answer, he’s simply not all that great. But if we are looking for just good QB play with a good offensive mind + a Top 5 Defense, that’s always a solid option. 

I mean Jimmy G who is at best average QB is now in his 2nd NFC championship game, Carr is no worse than him - indeed is likely better. Build a great D and creative play-calling and you can win like it as long as you can generate passing O and it isn't just running the ball. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 7:08 AM, Roninho said:

I dont know who, but it worries me a lot that we seem to be interviewing both potential hc's and potential gm's at the same time.

I want us to sign a GM who gets "all the power" and he then starts looking at his 2 or 3 hc candidates. 

I can totally understand that philosophy but wouldn't a guy like Harbaugh want roster control and that kind of neuters the GM from a lot of his responsibility in that case. You may have to bring in a Mayock type of GM if Harbaugh is going to be the guy.........

13 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

BoB was horrific, gifted generational players in Houston then destroyed the franchise. McDaniels has given me nothing to give him the benefit of the doubt over, failed HC then failed OC. Without goat he is nothing

Won 9 games his first 3 seasons with Hoyer (14), Keenum (15), Osweiler (16). Won 2 playoff games. Watson didn't get there until 18. He was a good HC, terrible GM wanna be.

McD did a good job with a rookie Mac Jones who was an underwhelming  prospect. Ranked 10th in 3rd down percentage. 6th in points per game (27.2). 7th in red zone percentage. 

To say he's a "failed OC" is simply wrong. He's been a very successful OC. If you are referring to his stint with the Rams under a lame duck coach that's fair. He certainly has a checkered history, but I feel some are acting like can't coach, which is categorically false.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Won 9 games his first 3 seasons with Hoyer (14), Keenum (15), Osweiler (16). Won 2 playoff games. Watson didn't get there until 18. He was a good HC, terrible GM wanna be.

McD did a good job with a rookie Mac Jones who was an underwhelming  prospect. Ranked 10th in 3rd down percentage. 6th in points per game (27.2). 7th in red zone percentage. 

To say he's a "failed OC" is simply wrong. He's been a very successful OC. If you are referring to his stint with the Rams under a lame duck coach that's fair. He certainly has a checkered history, but I feel some are acting like can't coach, which is categorically false.

One thing is for sure if we do end up with McDaniels. We will be prepared for each individual opponent and we won’t be out-schemed. I have my concerns about his ability to get followership from his players and coaching staff but I don’t have any concerns about his ability to scheme us into advantageous situations. 

• Like 1

Senior bowl is Feb 5th. Players start arriving one week from today for the weeks worth of practices. Feels like the Raiders need to hire a GM before that. It’s bad enough that a HC can’t be out there but would be a fail if the Raiders can’t hire a GM before then to attend the week worth of practices 

• Like 1

With Dodds due to be the 4th prospective GM interviewed, it does feel like we’re trying to get a GM in place before the HC, which I suppose is a logical thing to do.

Am I right in saying that it’s only Mayo and Bisaccia who have interviewed for us so far for the HC position?

3 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Mayo was requested im not sure that it happened yet

Cool, thanks. It’s really tough to keep track of these things with the Raiders, as the team is very slow with any official announcements.

Such a weird organization. Heavily secretive about lots of stuff but then still manage to have plenty of leaks as well.