The GM Thread: Raiders hire Zeigler

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, Roninho said:

I dont know who, but it worries me a lot that we seem to be interviewing both potential hc's and potential gm's at the same time.

I want us to sign a GM who gets "all the power" and he then starts looking at his 2 or 3 hc candidates. 

Davis did this with Reggie who handpicked Dennis Allen. Mark Davis hated Allen from the start, then hired Del Rio. Davis being unconventional is normal unfortunately. 

https://theathletic.com/3075949/2022/01/17/tafur-mike-mayock-couldnt-overcome-the-bad-draft-picks-as-the-raiders-will-start-searching-for-a-new-gm/

The two biggest disasters fall on Mayock. In 2019, he was confident the Raiders could trade down from the No. 4 slot and pick Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell somewhere in the teens. 

Arnette had red flags coming into the draft and was considered a reach at No. 19, but Mayock said he did more homework on Arnette than any other player ever. Besides his maturity issues, Arnette wasn’t very good. 

Ruggs was a Gruden pick, and Gruden and Mayock liked safety Johnathan Abram’s toughness and leaned on offensive line coach Tom Cable for last spring’s reach on tackle Alex Leatherwood, who has already been moved to guard.

Mayock did hit big on some late-round picks like Maxx Crosby, Hunter Renfrow and Nate Hobbs, but he also didn’t do himself any favors bragging about how the Raiders owning three third-round picks in the 2020 NFL Draft was “like stealing” three starters. They used those selections on receiver Bryan Edwards, running back Lynn Bowden Jr. and linebacker Tanner Muse. 

All told, the Raiders had 13 picks in the top 100 selections in the past three years and have two projected starters to show for it in safety Tre’von Moehrig and Jacobs (with Abram, Mullen, Edwards and Divine Deablo as maybes).

Mayock pushed for defensive end Carl Nassib, who has only four sacks in two seasons after signing a three-year, $25 million deal in free agency in 2020. But there was plenty of blame to go around for other bad expensive free agents, like Lamarcus Joyner, Maliek Collins and Cory Littleton.

And my favorite tidbit:

Gruden often gave Mayock a hard time about the Ferrell pick as well as some of the other misses, staffers in the building say, but the two seemed to always iron things out despite rumors that Mayock might be gone after the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

• Like 4

Waaay too many 1rst round reaches, with real playmakers staring you in the face (josh Allen, cd lamb etc.) but even something like Crosby? H*ll I’ve mentioned a cpl times that in that 4th rnd before it started I wanted Crosby, Moreau and m Wilson. Instead we got Isaiah Johnson. And Wilson fell to the browns in the 5th round for cryin out loud (and we had a huge need at mlb!!!) I’m not dumping on the guy but max in the 4th was a “ no brainer” Lol. Especially if you looked at his testing numbers and tape. H*ll one play on his tape did it for me when he mirrored a rbs jump cut perfectly to make a play. It was a perfect example of cat like quickness and athletic ability.  We mostly liked the t brown signing but hated the money, but he was a lazy turd who got paid. We all celebrated the Littleton signing but knew he was a liability against the run, what we didn’t see coming was him being horrible against the pass. Donald obviously makes things happen there no big revelation. AB was gruden , but most thought a 3rd and 5th was good value. In the back of our minds tho, we were all waiting for the stupid sh*t. Can’t lump it all on him, but you sure as hell can give 50% of the blame. Gimme Dodds and Harbs, personally I think it already in the works, just gotta go through the process. Like mayos interview, I think the pats FO guy is actually added smokescreen strictly in my opinion. Too much coincidence going on here. Again IMO, and also wishful thinking I’ll admit.

4 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Vic replied to that with a gif of a giant turd lol. Don't think Prisco knows much of anything. 

And lots of those media guys stick up for Mayock.  He was a colleague to a lot of them over the years and they stick up for friends.

Well until they can throw them under the bus.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I wanted to keep Mayock if I was right about Gruden forcing his hand in the early rounds.  I never liked how Mayock and Gruden handled contracts either.  If what Tafur said about those choices coming from Mayock are true then we made a good decision.  I really liked him but just to many bad decisions.

• Like 1

The outrage from the media about Mayock getting fired is really something. Media sticking up for media members. Saw one say the Raiders finally make the playoffs and they do this. Like dude did you not actually watch the games. You know how much luck had to go on the Raiders side. Luck dosent repeat itself the following year it reverts back to the mean. Fans saying this **** as well. Blinded and caught up in the moment. Ridiculous 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

The outrage from the media about Mayock getting fired is really something. Media sticking up for media members. Saw one say the Raiders finally make the playoffs and they do this. Like dude did you not actually watch the games. You know how much luck had to go on the Raiders side. Luck dosent repeat itself the following year it reverts back to the mean. Fans saying this **** as well. Blinded and caught up in the moment. Ridiculous 

Bingo, idea we are going to win 6 walk offs again is farcical. It was similar in 2016, one thing Gruden was kinda right on 

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

They only watch the games so they don't see Ferrell, Arnette, Ruggs, etc. playing and don't bash him for it.

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/raiders-interested-interviewing-bengals-scout-trey-brown-general-manager-job

"Raiders Interested in Interviewing Bengals Scout Trey Brown For General Manager Job"

A scout? Interesting

He interviewed with us in 2018 before we hired Mike. I'd assume that we're doing it to satisfy the Rooney Rule.