NFC Championship Game GDT - Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

This reminds me of the Justin Skule thing all over. I feel like people were pretty sure that he was fine because we won games while he was in there and he was just flat out awful. I'd disagree that surviving having to play him there is the same as "doing enough"...i mean, if we don't stop them on that three and out with a minute left to go, you can absolutely argue that he flat out lost us the game. 

So what's the baseline for "slowing down a front"? I don't feel like 2 sacks, a handful of pressures / hurries,  and a penalty is really doing that. Isn't that just a bad performance that the team overcame? Even in the run game... @J-ALL-DAY can probably call back on this better than I can given that he just rewatched  the game, but I feel almost certain that most of Mitchell's damage came after and the offensive line as a whole gave him relatively little to work with. 

Or you can argue that we didn't give him enough help on crucial downs, which could be considered a coaching error. We watch Bosa get chipped and doubled all the time. They (the staff) know he's out there and that it's not in our best interest to have him go an entire game with little to no help. So in that instance, yea I can say he did enough under the circumstances. We can harp on the player and that's the norm but at some point the staff has to be accountable for the position they put these players in, at critical juntures. 

29 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Or you can argue that we didn't give him enough help on crucial downs, which could be considered a coaching error. We watch Bosa get chipped and doubled all the time. They (the staff) know he's out there and that it's not in our best interest to have him go an entire game with little to no help. So in that instance, yea I can say he did enough under the circumstances. We can harp on the player and that's the norm but at some point the staff has to be accountable for the position they put these players in, at critical juntures. 

How often are we supposed to do that? We kept kittle in to block on about a quarter of the passing downs, I believe (I think 9 of 36 or whatever). That seems like a lot to be turning your best or second best offensive weapon into a sixth offensive lineman? And that's just Kittle. Doesn't include any time that Juice may have stayed in. And as you indicated, we have to help Compton too. And sometimes Brunskill because he's dealing with Aaron Donald sometimes.  

Doing enough  under the circumstances is a participation trophy. I can say he did fine under the circumstances (IE, never having played tackle in the NFL before), but we aren't grading this on a curve. He's going against guys like Floyd and Miller and Donald. If he sucks, he sucks, and it simply doesn't matter what the circumstances are around it. The Reeder sack is particularly egregious because he just stops and gives up on the play (fortunately his guy didn't end up with the sack). On the Robinson sack, he actually did have help as Kittle was back there as well...Robinson just steamrolled him, so full marks to Robinson.  If we have to help him double up just about every snap, that means no chip help or doubles for Compton on the other side, which may involve Aaron Donald and Miller as well, and maybe nothing for Brunskill. So now we have to keep an extra weapon in the pocket to save Jimmy's life, and maybe that makes it more difficult to play lights out? Which is what this whole thing goes back to? 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's actually better most of the time when he needs to pass but he screws up when leading and having to protect the lead. Jimmy just isn't natural at managing the game that way. That's why in MUST have TD situations, he almost always comes through. Jimmy better be on his game on 3rd down tomorrow. Need some long sustained drives ending in scores, preferably TDs. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forge said:

NGL, if this is supposed to be a hype video, it kind of sucks 

Erm no, I think you’ll actually find it’s the best hype video there’s ever been and you’re just a hater and I can’t wait til we shut you the hell up. Donald is going to injure your social media manager and you’ll cry and just be a hater about it. Stafford is better than Jimmy and ya’ll suck. STAND UP

• Like 1

With mere hours until the game commences, I'm less nervous compared to earlier. Glad I didn't bury myself in the coverage too much this week as I felt it was all getting too overbearing essentially going in circles on the same platitudes...which now that I think of it really don't matter. Both squads are here and have as much a chance to win against either other regardless of what the math says or what beliefs are served up. I'm going to go to sleep, wake up, skip rope as usual, and then come watch the show having missed a good portion of the AFC title game. I hope the 49ers fight hard, the faithful have a huge turnout, and we can get to the Super Bowl again. If we don't, the team still made it a lot farther than most people would have dreamed, especially half the fanbase. I hate losing the NFC title game more than the Super Bowl, so it would suck (especially against the Rams), but all one can ask for is a chance. A suggestion: don't panic during the telecast no matter how grim it seems, remain civil, and of course most of all enjoy yourselves. Just my 2 yen. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BigTrav said:

Erm no, I think you’ll actually find it’s the best hype video there’s ever been and you’re just a hater and I can’t wait til we shut you the hell up. Donald is going to injure your social media manager and you’ll cry and just be a hater about it. Stafford is better than Jimmy and ya’ll suck. STAND UP

GL with that we have the AD stopper images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQw4-No2f2yAgCc4VxPvdY

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

With mere hours until the game commences, I'm less nervous compared to earlier. Glad I didn't bury myself in the coverage too much this week as I felt it was all getting too overbearing essentially going in circles on the same platitudes...which now that I think of it really don't matter. Both squads are here and have as much a chance to win against either other regardless of what the math says or what beliefs are served up. I'm going to go to sleep, wake up, skip rope as usual, and then come watch the show having missed a good portion of the AFC title game. I hope the 49ers fight hard, the faithful have a huge turnout, and we can get to the Super Bowl again. If we don't, the team still made it a lot farther than most people would have dreamed, especially half the fanbase. I hate losing the NFC title game more than the Super Bowl, so it would suck (especially against the Rams), but all one can ask for is a chance. A suggestion: don't panic during the telecast no matter how grim it seems, remain civil, and of course most of all enjoy yourselves. Just my 2 yen. 

I panicked enough during the GB game.. this week will be smooth sailing. 31-24 SF

• Like 1