Random Thoughts - 2022 Jan - to the Draft

dll2000

Some random Bears thoughts from jeff Hughes:

To sum most of this up:

- Virginia’s health is not well.  Selling the team once she passes is still on the table.

- Ted Phillips set to retire in 2023?  Cliff Stein may be internal front runner to replace him.  Otherwise Ted may be tasked with finding his own replacement.  George doesn’t like doing work.

- Build WR through the draft, only add complementary pieces through FA.

- Terron Armstead too injured to be relied on with a bloated FA contract

- Poles thinks Daniels is a good player, but inconsistent.

- He feels the same as most of us re the Mack trade

Here is a thought most would disagree with.

I think Trestman was a decent to good coach and is a bit unfairly maligned has an idiot, his total career prior to Bears and after first season offensively speaks to that.  
His success that led him to the job wasn’t an accident or luck.  

But he was not a strong enough personality to dominate willful and rebellious players and it all blew up in his face.  

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Here is a thought most would disagree with.

I think Trestman was a decent to good coach and is a bit unfairly maligned has an idiot, his total career prior to Bears and after first season offensively speaks to that.  
His success that led him to the job wasn’t an accident or luck.  

But he was not a strong enough personality to dominate willful and rebellious players and it all blew up in his face.  

I've made several comments that Trestman could have done better than Nagy with the same players and coaches around him. So I'm not going to disagree. Granted that is as much a damnation of Nagy as a praise for Trestman. 

He actually seems more like a Pace guy than Nagy. Nagy seems passive aggressive and spiteful per reports of his blowing off players, while Trestman seemsore cowardly and nonconfrontational like Pace was. 

14 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I've made several comments that Trestman could have done better than Nagy with the same players and coaches around him. So I'm not going to disagree. Granted that is as much a damnation of Nagy as a praise for Trestman. 

He actually seems more like a Pace guy than Nagy. Nagy seems passive aggressive and spiteful per reports of his blowing off players, while Trestman seemsore cowardly and nonconfrontational like Pace was. 

I can sympathize with a situation like Trestman faced or coaches in general really.  

I had about 10 seasons in a row where we were first or second place every year and one where we undefeated and got upset in playoffs when our best player had a really bad game.  

I then had a season where my org. screwed up a league rule change and it put us at a tremendous disadvantage. They screwed up weight rules which were changed and decided they weren’t going to let older lighter kids play down just in our org.  

On top of this that year I took over a core group of kids another coach had for a long time and him not being selected as their coach made him very bitter and angry and his kid was on my team. 

He and other parent friends of his caused a lot of division from start.  We had a terrible season and I was oft attacked on a personal level.   I am no shrinking violet so there was some back and forth, but it wasn’t fun for me   

It ended up the parent in question leading this revolt was a little disturbed in some way and committed suicide the following year leaving behind his boys.  

It was my first bad season, but third year in a row I was dealing with at least one really troubled parent driving me crazy so I hung it up.   Plus my own kids were getting older and wanted more of my attention and they weren’t interested in football.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I can sympathize with a situation like Trestman faced or coaches in general really.  

I had about 10 seasons in a row where we were first or second place every year and one where we undefeated and got upset in playoffs when our best player had a really bad game.  

I then had a season where my org. screwed up a league rule change and it put us at a tremendous disadvantage. They screwed up weight rules which were changed and decided they weren’t going to let older lighter kids play down just in our org.  

On top of this that year I took over a core group of kids another coach had for a long time and him not being selected as their coach made him very bitter and angry and his kid was on my team. 

He and other parent friends of his caused a lot of division from start.  We had a terrible season and I was oft attacked on a personal level.   I am no shrinking violet so there was some back and forth, but it wasn’t fun for me   

It ended up the parent in question leading this revolt was a little disturbed in some way and committed suicide the following year leaving behind his boys.  

It was my first bad season, but third year in a row I was dealing with at least one really troubled parent driving me crazy so I hung it up.   Plus my own kids were getting older and wanted more of my attention and they weren’t interested in football.  

That's crazy man. I've dealt with some unruly parents but usually when I call them out and offer them the clipboard they back off and shut up. Never had something like that come up outside of the field. 

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

That's crazy man. I've dealt with some unruly parents but usually when I call them out and offer them the clipboard they back off and shut up. Never had something like that come up outside of the field. 

It gets stranger and sadder.  Definitely a year I won’t forget.

I really liked kids and most of parents and coaches. I wasn’t going to quit.  At end of year an AC coach said it was amazing that I never once took anything out on any of kids despite their parents and always treated them as I would my own. I was proud of that compliment.  

But we had a different kid’s dad die of heart attack during season.  Sweet kid and sweet guy.   Great family.  Not fun to stand with an 11 year old at his dad’s funeral. 

This other guy I met on a coaches message board moved from near city out to burbs mainly just to coach with me because he liked me.  He was a literal genius, but an odd duck like geniuses are.   He would pick that year to come coach with me, funny how things work out sometimes. Timing can be strange.

He was a tiny guy and dressed in 70s fashion, probably actual clothes from 70s.  Some of parents that were not happy had trouble bullying me and we’re frustrated because they tried to go to board to complain about me and board ignored them (I had a long track record).   So they focused a lot on being mean to this guy.  Also because some people just don’t like people who are different.  

I should have protected him better somehow though I am not sure how and that is a regret because he too died a year or so later.   Maybe of suicide.  I am not sure.  He didn’t talk to me last year of his life for some reason I never found out exactly why and was surprised to find out he had died.  

I personally needed to have a bad year like that though. I was getting proud and arrogant not focused enough on my job, church and family.  

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 8:57 AM, CBears019 said:

Virginia’s health is not well.  Selling the team once she passes is still on the table.

When I heard she was sick I assumed she’s going to die soon cause she’s so old. I’m excited about the prospect of having a new owner (and not Aaron Rodgers)

4 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

When I heard she was sick I assumed she’s going to die soon cause she’s so old. I’m excited about the prospect of having a new owner (and not Aaron Rodgers)

Pretty sure our ownership wouldn't change much even is Virginia does pass...if the McCaskey's sell then I am pretty sure minority owners Pat Ryan & Andrew McKenna have right of first refusal...both are pretty old as well but it would then fall to their families.

36 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Pretty sure our ownership wouldn't change much even is Virginia does pass...if the McCaskey's sell then I am pretty sure minority owners Pat Ryan & Andrew McKenna have right of first refusal...both are pretty old as well but it would then fall to their families.

Then it’s time for a hostile takeover 

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

As much as I complain about Bears and McCasky’s they are several magnitudes better than Washington and Snyder.  

I figure the difference between a perennial 3-14 team like Washington and a perennial 7-10 team like Chicago equates out to approximately the same sadness and disappointment. One just gets a bit more excitement during draft time. 

• Like 1