Your favorite fast food place?

biggie.

2 minutes ago, biggie. said:

That's why I say order a calzone instead of stuffed crust; same thing in theory.

Kind of, in theory i guess.  In reality though, it ends up being something entirely different.  Like even their P'Zones at Pizza Hut are somehow different.  Like, there ends up being way too much crust to filling ratio, and the whole thing ends up being offputtingly...sweet?  Not really sure if they use a different dough or what, but the theory is a lot better than the execution when it comes to that.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Realistically, i just end up getting the same few things at Arby's the vast majority of the time.  But there is a pretty good breadth of options.  Pretty much anyone should be able to at least find something to like there.

Also, Jamocha shakes are real enjoyable, compared to the desert/shake type offerings at most fast food places.  People go nuts for like a Wendy's Frosty and stuff, McFlurries are straight up disgusting...Arby's shakes are substantially better than most of the competition.

The one thing i've never tried...and never would try, is their "Fish Sandwich".  Like...there's something very wrong and disturbing about them offering one of those.  That seems like a crime against the concept of their restaurant.  But i guess they've gotta do it, for the Catholics or whatever.

I dont understand how anybody can order fish at a fast food place. Like you said, it just seems wrong. I will try a LOT of weird crap that fast food places concoct, but I feel like seafood/fish is where the line is drawn.

I feel like fish is one of those things where there is a extremely fine line in preparing/cooking where one wrong slip and your over a toilet for 24 hrs. I only order fish/seafood from legitimate restaurants.  I dont even trust a fish sandwich or tuna/salmon from a chain like Applebees. 

1. Burger: Whataburger or In-n-Out, if we're talking chains and not local places that no one outside of Phoenix has ever heard of. If we're considering "walk in and take out" fast food, then I'll probably pick Smashburger.  Those smash fries are ridiculously good.  I don't understand the fascination with Five Guys, though.  The cajun fries are pretty dang good, but the burgers are about as average as you can get.  And, for almost double the price as everywhere else.....I just don't get it.  

2. Chicken: Chick-fil-a, hands down.  There is no better spicy chicken sandwich than the spicy deluxe.  I tried to give Popeye's a try with their spicy chicken, but I don't consider it a true spicy chicken sandwich.  Nearly every other spicy chicken sandwich out there is made with soaking either the chicken itself in something spicy or the breading is spicy.  Popeye's uses "spicy mayo" and I detest mayo with all the fabric of my being.  Popeye's does have excellent mashed potatoes and cajun gravy, though.  

3. Mexican: Living in Phoenix, this is a tough one.  Maybe it's from living here for 18 years, having so many options for good Mexican food, but Chipotle tastes like Hospital cafeteria food to me. They put way too much rice in their burritos and they pitch a fit if you ask for no rice.  Of the fast food chains, I was pretty big on Taco Bell until they gutted their menu.  Del Taco is pretty good.  At the end of the day, I'm going to a non-chain/local-chain here 90% of the time.

4. Sub: Quiznos, but since there's only one within 20+ miles of me now, my second choice is Port of Subs.  Their bread alone shoots it way higher than **gag** Subway.  

5. Pizza:   Such a tough choice these days.  I swear, every year, Pizza Hut keeps adding more and more sugar to their sauce.  It's almost sickly sweet now.  Dominos stepped up their game big time there for a while, but within the last two years or so, they started overcooking their pizzas.  It's inedible now.  Brown/black cheese doesn't taste good to me at all and the sauce is no longer in liquid form.  Gross.  Honestly, I might have to go with Peter Piper.  I remember them being so nasty way back when, but they changed something up.  Their 3-cheese pepperoni is phenomenal.  

On 1/27/2022 at 9:02 AM, Mesa_Titan said:

Has anyone had raising canes? I had it a few months ago after a few people talking it up for what seems like forever. I don’t understand the hype. Sauce was good, but I can make better chicken tenders in my air fryer in 10 mins. 😂

I really wanted to like Cane's, but if you just eat the chicken by itself, it's well made, but has absolutely no flavor at all.  They live and die by their sauce and I hate mayo.  So, there is literally no reason for me to go there unless I'm craving some Texas toast.  Not sure if I can order just that, though.  

36 minutes ago, Ataal said:

I really wanted to like Cane's, but if you just eat the chicken by itself, it's well made, but has absolutely no flavor at all.  They live and die by their sauce and I hate mayo.  So, there is literally no reason for me to go there unless I'm craving some Texas toast.  Not sure if I can order just that, though.  

Texas toast is pretty weak too. If you don't instantly eat it, it steams up and turns soggy. Texas toast pack from Safeway in the oven is better.

Chicken- Popeyes. 

Burgers- Culvers... never had in n out but five guys sucks imo. Overpriced, way too salty, and the fries are never good

Pizza- i have a soft spot for Pizza Ranch

Subs- Jimmy John's

Wings- Pizza Hut.. blows BWW out of the water 

Fazolis and Arbys can be clutch for a fast easy meal that'll fill you up

On 2/4/2022 at 6:28 PM, Ataal said:

1. Burger: Whataburger or In-n-Out, if we're talking chains and not local places that no one outside of Phoenix has ever heard of. If we're considering "walk in and take out" fast food, then I'll probably pick Smashburger.  Those smash fries are ridiculously good.  I don't understand the fascination with Five Guys, though.  The cajun fries are pretty dang good, but the burgers are about as average as you can get.  And, for almost double the price as everywhere else.....I just don't get it.  

2. Chicken: Chick-fil-a, hands down.  There is no better spicy chicken sandwich than the spicy deluxe.  I tried to give Popeye's a try with their spicy chicken, but I don't consider it a true spicy chicken sandwich.  Nearly every other spicy chicken sandwich out there is made with soaking either the chicken itself in something spicy or the breading is spicy.  Popeye's uses "spicy mayo" and I detest mayo with all the fabric of my being.  Popeye's does have excellent mashed potatoes and cajun gravy, though.  

3. Mexican: Living in Phoenix, this is a tough one.  Maybe it's from living here for 18 years, having so many options for good Mexican food, but Chipotle tastes like Hospital cafeteria food to me. They put way too much rice in their burritos and they pitch a fit if you ask for no rice.  Of the fast food chains, I was pretty big on Taco Bell until they gutted their menu.  Del Taco is pretty good.  At the end of the day, I'm going to a non-chain/local-chain here 90% of the time.

4. Sub: Quiznos, but since there's only one within 20+ miles of me now, my second choice is Port of Subs.  Their bread alone shoots it way higher than **gag** Subway.  

5. Pizza:   Such a tough choice these days.  I swear, every year, Pizza Hut keeps adding more and more sugar to their sauce.  It's almost sickly sweet now.  Dominos stepped up their game big time there for a while, but within the last two years or so, they started overcooking their pizzas.  It's inedible now.  Brown/black cheese doesn't taste good to me at all and the sauce is no longer in liquid form.  Gross.  Honestly, I might have to go with Peter Piper.  I remember them being so nasty way back when, but they changed something up.  Their 3-cheese pepperoni is phenomenal.  

I will never understand how Popeyes has that feeble attempt at a spicy sandwich when they have spicy strips that are so good. I’ll take the strips and make my own sandwich over that nasty Mayo. 

i also miss Quiznos. A friend of mine used to be a franchisee, and they sacrificed their competitive advantage- quality and price point- to keep up with subway. They are all gone in my area. That prime rib sub used to be the best, and he used to bring them home and smoke them for the family. 

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 12:23 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

You damn Murican's with your awesome fast food options.

I knew a couple people from Australia and all they talked about was KFC and how amazing it was over there. They treat it like fine dining experience lol

Ive never understood because I told them that KFC in America is garbage but apparently the KFCs in Australia are on a whole nother level.

On 2/4/2022 at 4:28 PM, Ataal said:

Huh.  It's funny you say that.  I've always found that it's actually Dominos sauce that often veers into almost sickly sweet territory.  I've never really noticed a problem with that at Pizza Hut here.  Generally seems to have one of the "tangier" sort of sauces among the big chains.

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried Shake Shack for the first time....7/10

The Good- Really good quality. Probably the best I've had from a fast casual burger place. Service was great too.

The Bad- Tiny portion sizes. The burgers are like 1/2 the size of any other place. I felt like I could eat 4 of them. Also, overpriced as hell. It was $36 for 2 burgers, 2 fry and 2 drinks.  I could go to a sit down restaurant for cheaper.

Edited by AkronsWitness

52 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I'll never understand the appeal to Popeyes. To me they're just a step up from the abomination that is KFC.

Popeyes spicy strips with Cajun fries beats the living **** out of anything KFC is trying to scam us with 

KFC is greasy and soggy… Popeyes is crispy 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1