Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

Honestly the only one of those things that concerns me is the one with the parking attendant and i feel like there’s more to the story than just that.  These incidents are all like 30+ years ago.  The NFL has a short memory if you’re good at your job, so i doubt these alone would be stop a team from hiring him if they truly thought he was the best option to be their HC.

The fact he tried to stop a firefighter doing his job when he was trying to you know...stop his mother's garage and then house from burning down...tells me he is not only an idiot but a total jackass.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The fact he tried to stop a firefighter doing his job when he was trying to you know...stop his mother's garage and then house from burning down...tells me he is not only an idiot but a total jackass.

Yeah i was trying to read more into that one before i commented, because interfering charges can be almost anything and can be tacked on in just about any call.  Sometimes we refer to interfering charges as “contempt of cop.”  I briefly read an article that said he shoved a firefighter out of the way and told him not to tear down a wall in the garage because the fire was only from fireworks in a trash bag, not an electrical fire that the firefighters thought it might be.  That’s a little more concerning to me,  but i still believe that there is something more to EB.  In the grand scheme, these are all minor incidents 30+ years ago.  The NFL doesn’t care about that unless you murdered someone.  

4 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Yeah i was trying to read more into that one before i commented, because interfering charges can be almost anything and can be tacked on in just about any call.  Sometimes we refer to interfering charges as “contempt of cop.”  I briefly read an article that said he shoved a firefighter out of the way and told him not to tear down a wall in the garage because the fire was only from fireworks in a trash bag, not an electrical fire that the firefighters thought it might be.  That’s a little more concerning to me,  but i still believe that there is something more to EB.  In the grand scheme, these are all minor incidents 30+ years ago.  The NFL doesn’t care about that unless you murdered someone.  

And even then, ask Ray Lewis & Marvin Harrison if the NFL cares

• Like 1

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Ryan Poles. A lot. But I do find it ironic that the Bears’ first GM finalist this year is younger than Ryan Pace was in 2015 when he was hired and that he’s risen through the same organization that Matt Nagy ascended in.

Like Jahns I just get concerning vibes here...hopefully Brown leaves no doubt of who the hire should be.

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

NYG wanting Daboll and Daboll wanting NYG if he has other potential HC options are two separate things though IMO. If Daboll believes Fields can be Allen or Russell Wilson under his tutelage and our job is available to him then a prior relationship isn’t necessarily needed - he will just need to be able to trust that the GM will be able to put the necessary pieces around him, and any of the guys on our list should be able to do that. 

I don't think any offensive guy would choose a veteran Daniel Jones over a work-in-progress Justin Fields without there being other factors heavily involved--Daboll might want to stay in NY, work with Schoen, the Giants could offer him an obscene amount of money, or whatever.

But you're spot on, there, in your assessment of the situation. The Bears could even be giving Daboll a say in what GM is hired...

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I was having a look at tonight’s playoff games and it is truly amazing how good the Titans are…if you look at there roster outside of Derrick Henry, A.J Brown, Jeffery Simmons & Kevin Byard they have very view players who you could argue are top 10 guys at that’s position…Ben Jones, Taylor Lewan & Harold Landry are all good but probably not top 10 and outside of that they are doing it all with Tannehill at QB…they are 12-5…Vrabel in his 4 years there is 41-24 and has been to the playoffs 3 times…they play simple, smart, tough, fundamental football and very rarely if ever beat themselves…you have to wonder if this is the kind of team we want to put together but then have Fields in there to add an x-factor.

It all goes back to what @dll2000 said about team building. The real key is to lack weaknesses. You don't have to have a roster loaded with superstars 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

fwiw

I could live with Leftwich.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

It'd be a real shame if the Bears brass didn't interview Harbaugh given he's apparently there for the taking.

I don't know what there is to not like about him. 

Go get it done!

I don't think Harbaugh has interviewed with anybody, has he? I may have missed something. If he comes back to the NFL, it wouldn't be surprising at all from him to go to Miami, as ownership down there covets him, and would probably make him the highest paid coach in the league. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I wonder if it has something to do with how Kraft convinced him to ditch Indy job and stay.

Be weird to do that and then just let him go a handful of years later.  I think they made a side deal of some kind that isn’t public.  

I think you're probably right about that. Belichick may have an exit date in mind--and it may be sooner than we all suspect. 

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

My worry is more about how we view Daboll...nothing came out about his interview going well (or badly) Schoen was the clear favourite for the Giants job and the connection there is obvious...when we heard the Jags wanted Eberflus we were quick to put it out there that we were still interested in him and named him a finalist...we have sat on our hands here and it makes me wonder if George & co don't view Daboll as highly as we do.

This was all I saw about it. And his interview with the Giants yesterday was his first there, not a second. Neither of us can hire him until at least Monday anyway.

And FWIW, Poles is gonna get a really good look at what Daboll can do this weekend. Daboll’s offense hung 31 on KC in Arrowhead earlier this year (game was 38-20 but Mahomes threw a pick six). 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Ryan Poles. A lot. But I do find it ironic that the Bears’ first GM finalist this year is younger than Ryan Pace was in 2015 when he was hired and that he’s risen through the same organization that Matt Nagy ascended in.

I just don’t see how the Nagy connection is relevant. Seems like something drummed up by sports writers who need material.

And I don’t think Pace’s failures preclude another young GM from success.

Edited by abstract_thought

3 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

I just don’t see how the Nagy connection is relevant. Seems like something drummed up by sports writers who need material.

And I don’t think Pace’s failures preclude another young GM from success.

I don't think it should preclude Poles but it is something to consider...very different going from real success to a struggling franchise...think of it like NFL free agency every year...

It's not the connection to Nagy that concerns me...it's the connection to Andy Reid...it's his show and everything you see is because of him...yeah these guys teach it but I want a guy who designed the offence not just picked up someone elses.

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think it should preclude Poles but it is something to consider...very different going from real success to a struggling franchise...think of it like NFL free agency every year...

It's not the connection to Nagy that concerns me...it's the connection to Andy Reid...it's his show and everything you see is because of him...yeah these guys teach it but I want a guy who designed the offence not just picked up someone elses.

The Reid ties trouble me with coaches, but not with identifying talent. Plus, a lot of their young talent acquired has been on defense which doesn’t have anything to do with Reid from a maximizing talent standpoint. Ideally whoever our GM is hires a coach that similarly can maximize offensive talent like Reid has.

I agree that going from a franchise like the Chiefs to ours is a big change, but nobody is looking to hire executives from the struggling franchises either. So much of it is a crap shoot. His qualifications seem as legit as anyone else’s except for Rick Smith, and at this point I’m not even sure Smith is getting an interview (with us or anyone else). Just pull the trigger fast enough to not lose out on any HC candidates next week over indecisiveness. What I do like about Poles is that he was there for the really bad stuff, was one of the few pieces to stick through it, and then was seemingly a significant part of the build up to what it is now. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

The Reid ties trouble me with coaches, but not with identifying talent. Plus, a lot of their young talent acquired has been on defense which doesn’t have anything to do with Reid from a maximizing talent standpoint. Ideally whoever our GM is hires a coach that similarly can maximize offensive talent like Reid has.

I agree that going from a franchise like the Chiefs to ours is a big change, but nobody is looking to hire executives from the struggling franchises either. So much of it is a crap shoot. His qualifications seem as legit as anyone else’s except for Rick Smith, and at this point I’m not even sure Smith is getting an interview (with us or anyone else). Just pull the trigger fast enough to not lose out on any HC candidates next week over indecisiveness. What I do like about Poles is that he was there for the really bad stuff, was one of the few pieces to stick through it, and then was seemingly a significant part of the build up to what it is now. 

Don't we know it man hahaha...

I actually like Poles...I think he comes across really well, clearly very bright and like you said has all the qualifications...I just think if it really came down to a close battle between him and someone else I would put the fact he has only worked one place as a negative...not something to take him out the running at all but just something that might separate him and someone else in a close contest.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

This is why I say Nagy really screwed Bieniemy.

Is it really just him though? Reid assistants from defense and special teams HCs been better than his offensive coaches overall. Pederson flopped when his offense no longer was one of the most talented groups, Nagy was incompetent, and Brad Childress sucked.  Whereas on the other sides there was Harbaugh, Bowles, Rivera, McDermott amd Frazier. At their worst these guys at least are really good coordinators. Pederson is the only offensive guy that is a potentially good coordinator.  

• Like 1