Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

6 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

McDaniels still seems like an awful hire, but luckily I cannot see it happening from multiple angles.  I think George would be too nervous, I think he'd look at Pace's record and say no way, too many strikes for that to happen.  

But Why though? Because when you start to look into some of the reasons behind some of his decisions you see that maybe he isn't the bad guy some paint him as...no one can question his offences in NE which he clearly has the biggest hand in...

Also if McDaniels did come here Pace would be gone.

Want a new HC.  OK.

Move Phillips to some kind of position heading up the Arlington project.  If for some reason he needs to keep his title fine.  Just get him away from football.

Hire a new Team President and if you have to call him an Exec VP fine.  Just give him full control of the team like GSH did with Jim Finks.  Hire the best George.  You can afford him.

Let the new guy decide what to do about the GM spot.  Pace should no longer have full control over the roster or spending.  He answers to that Exec VP from now on not GMcC.

The entire McCaskey clan needs to fade into the woodwork giving up all control and an many cases even their jobs within the organization.  It's time to wipe their stench from the Bears.

Overall it would be better if they simply sold the team but since we can't count on that the above is the very minimum that should be done.  Teddy and GMcC can't seem to get the right GM and the one we have can't seem to get the right HC and staff so why do we even want another rinse and repeat of all of what we've seen and experienced for the last ten years?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

But Why though? Because when you start to look into some of the reasons behind some of his decisions you see that maybe he isn't the bad guy some paint him as...no one can question his offences in NE which he clearly has the biggest hand in...

Also if McDaniels did come here Pace would be gone.

Loads of reasons that I dislike him.  We cannot ignore the Indy hire/quit, that was nuts and scary to give that much control to someone that erratic.  Plus, every single story I've ever heard about his time in Denver was goofy/angry/vindictive.  Dude might be good at putting together an offense but to me seems like a super high risk/bad fit for running a team.  

A couple stories make him sound nuts/evil:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/20/16910138/broncos-media-helps-explain-what-went-wrong-with-josh-mcdaniels-in-denver

Can you see George actually wanting this guy? Serious question. 

People don’t really remember this but the last straw that got McDaniels fired in Denver was after the team was caught cheating in their London game against the 49ers, filming their walkthrough. That was something McDaniels and the Patriots had previously been penalized for.

hilariously bad (his first ever draft pick was Knowshon Moreno, and he traded three picks to move up and draft Tim Tebow in round one).

called in Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, for a closed-door meeting. The story goes that McDaniels began with a 20-minute dissertation of his resume, how he'd worked his way up the ranks in New England to become Bill Belichick's right-hand man with the offense and how the team would have been nowhere the year before without his tutelage of backup Matt Cassel. He continued on with justification of his hiring by Bowlen.

After the perplexing recitation of accomplishments, McDaniels suddenly shifted gears.

He began to bash and berate Cutler and his game to the tune of a verbal flogging neither had ever witnessed. The expletive-laden diatribe went on for a few minutes, after which Cook stood up and told Cutler they were leaving. As they walked down the long hallway past Bowlen's office, Cutler turned to Bus and said, "Get me out of here. I don't care how you do it."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

Loads of reasons that I dislike him.  We cannot ignore the Indy hire/quit, that was nuts and scary to give that much control to someone that erratic.  Plus, every single story I've ever heard about his time in Denver was goofy/angry/vindictive.  Dude might be good at putting together an offense but to me seems like a super high risk/bad fit for running a team.  

A couple stories make him sound nuts/evil:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/20/16910138/broncos-media-helps-explain-what-went-wrong-with-josh-mcdaniels-in-denver

Can you see George actually wanting this guy? Serious question. 

People don’t really remember this but the last straw that got McDaniels fired in Denver was after the team was caught cheating in their London game against the 49ers, filming their walkthrough. That was something McDaniels and the Patriots had previously been penalized for.

hilariously bad (his first ever draft pick was Knowshon Moreno, and he traded three picks to move up and draft Tim Tebow in round one).

called in Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, for a closed-door meeting. The story goes that McDaniels began with a 20-minute dissertation of his resume, how he'd worked his way up the ranks in New England to become Bill Belichick's right-hand man with the offense and how the team would have been nowhere the year before without his tutelage of backup Matt Cassel. He continued on with justification of his hiring by Bowlen.

After the perplexing recitation of accomplishments, McDaniels suddenly shifted gears.

He began to bash and berate Cutler and his game to the tune of a verbal flogging neither had ever witnessed. The expletive-laden diatribe went on for a few minutes, after which Cook stood up and told Cutler they were leaving. As they walked down the long hallway past Bowlen's office, Cutler turned to Bus and said, "Get me out of here. I don't care how you do it."

I think it is pretty clear McDaniels was trying to do an impression of BB when he got to Denver and it went wrong but let's plays devils advocate...McDaniels film a walk through? Dude will do what it takes to win and it's only cheating if you get caught...he is 100% right that without him working with Cassel in 2008 the Pats would have been no where...how did Cassel fair outside of that year?...are you trying to say you never had some expletive-laden outbusts about the play of Cutler at times?...

I say these mainly tounge in cheek but in in reality this is from 11 years ago...do I believe a lot has changed in this time? Absolutely...I would rather look at what people say about him now than then because all these guys are growing...you look at Daboll's coaching from around the same time and you hear a very different story about him being a hardass and demanding way too much from people...you speak to people now and his players love him because he listens and does whatever he can to put them in a position to win...coaches change over the years and if I am going to give a guy like Daboll the benefit of the doubt then it is only fair to do the same with McDaniels.

It's probably a moot point as I can't really see George taking this guy on, can you?  Even if you ignore the personality and professionalism stuff, it's not like NE was that much different without him as they still made the playoffs every year and even a super bowl (losing to Eli Manning, which is still glorious) 

Again think there's no way they cosnider him, but wouldn't you rather have a coach that HASN'T flamed out as HC in one place and left another team scrambling?  

I certainly see your point but don't think much of his chances to get hired by the Bears. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

It's probably a moot point as I can't really see George taking this guy on, can you?  Even if you ignore the personality and professionalism stuff, it's not like NE was that much different without him as they still made the playoffs every year and even a super bowl (losing to Eli Manning, which is still glorious) 

Again think there's no way they cosnider him, but wouldn't you rather have a coach that HASN'T flamed out as HC in one place and left another team scrambling?  

I certainly see your point but don't think much of his chances to get hired by the Bears. 

I am of the belief that 99% of coaches fail somewhere...it's what makes them better coaches...like I said the story of McDaniels & Daboll are extremely similar...difference is Daboll made his mistakes as a coach and coordinator...McDaniels made them for everyone to see as a Head Coach which is why everyone is harder on one than the other...I was very much so against McDaniels but the more you read about him the more you can see he is an excellent coach and seemingly matured since his time in Denver...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results...that is what George and co have done by hiring nice guys to run their business...I don't need a nice guy...I don't even need a GM & HC who get on...I need two professionals who do whatever it takes to win regardless of how difficult those choices are...I don't need someone who is great at speaking to the media or even shareholders...I need excellent talent evaluators and people who can take our strengths as a team and find an opposing team's weaknesses then exploit them.

He's kind of an anti-Nagy in the personality dept, and I can udnerstand wanting to swing the other way, but he's coached in Denver and St Louis, and the offenses were never very good plus he has had some serious style and politics problems.  It's tempting to think you're getting NE's adaptable offenses, but they were still good when he was gone, and he hasn't really showed that in the other two places he's been. I mean MAYBE he's not the same guy anymore and MAYBE he's the Bellichik castoff that won't flameout, but it's tough to see George learning anything about him and not freaking out.  If I recall he did interview with the Bears, does anyone recall how that went? Not leading, just genuinely can't recall. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

He's kind of an anti-Nagy in the personality dept, and I can udnerstand wanting to swing the other way, but he's coached in Denver and St Louis, and the offenses were never very good plus he has had some serious style and politics problems.  It's tempting to think you're getting NE's adaptable offenses, but they were still good when he was gone, and he hasn't really showed that in the other two places he's been. I mean MAYBE he's not the same guy anymore and MAYBE he's the Bellichik castoff that won't flameout, but it's tough to see George learning anything about him and not freaking out.  If I recall he did interview with the Bears, does anyone recall how that went? Not leading, just genuinely can't recall. 

Again I am not too interested in what his offence looked like 10 years ago...very different NFL...the Bears did interview him in 2018 but I don't think that has much relevancy either...we clearly made a mistake with Nagy...doesn't mean none of the candidates we interviewed were good shouts to be HC.

7 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

True,  I'm just outlining the risks and trying to think of what George will do.  Whoever we get I hope they're good enough to make Fields into the centerpiece of an offense that scores like its 2022, or at least 2000...

I think it's time we took a risk because what we are doing just now is getting us no where.

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I heard the real reason he backed out was because of Chris Ballard. Apparently McDaniels didn't trust him and I think in the end wanted his own guy at GM.

Or......he wanted to be his own de facto GM with enough leverage to get whoever he wanted.

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Thanks for filling in some of the blanks I no longer wanted to take the time to do and even these don't do much more than hit the highlights.  His meeting with Cutler and Bus Cook was a very good example of how he approached most things.  It was his way or the highway because he had been given way to much authority as an inducement to take the job.

Firing Mike Shanahan for Josh McDaniels has gone down in Bronco history as one of the most ill conceived decisions the Broncos ever made.  It took Elway finally getting Peyton Manning on board to bail them out of the mess caused by the McDaniels hire.  IMHO the McCaskeys will never give the kind of control McDaniels would want to any Bears HC.

I'll just say it loud and proud.

Josh McDaniels is not a good fit for the Bears or for Chicago Bears Fans or for the Chicago Bears Media.  Is he a good offensive coach?  Probably.  But is he the right HC for Justin Fields? Doubtful.  One of his first moves in Denver was to unload his mobile strong armed QB for "Neck Beard" Orton because he couldn't get Matt Cassel.  Andy Dalton is more his style QB.

Furthermore McDaniels has his sights set on succeeding Belicheat in NE where in Mac Jones he already has the perfect QB to continue the string of SB wins Tom Brady began.  IMHO Mac Jones is another Tom Brady so why leave NE?  He's also being paid about as much as other teams pay their HC anyway so there's no financial motivation either.  He's safe where he is.

Line up all of the other prospects you like guys but wisdom and past experience should already have told you to leave McDaniels name off that list.  He's not the kind of fit who'll work out.

Kraft did the hard sell on McDaniels to leave Indy job and compensated him for it.

He didn't do that because he thinks he is without value or any old OC will do with Belichick in tow.   Kraft is a lot of bad things, but he isn't stupid.   

Further, trading Cutler was right move.   Everyone here should know Cutler is not a promised land QB.   He recognized that with Cutler at top of his game.   Fact that Culter found out and made waves was problem.   

He drafted poorly with the picks that is true.  But many people miss on QBs.    NE is still drafting first round RBs so they don't seem to learn there.   I don't know what to say there.   I think he could have won some games with Tebow had they built a scheme around his strengths and weaknesses.   Not a Super Bowl, but a playoff game or two.   Tebow won games with John Fox on a terrible team.    

This was also the bad luck of a historically bad college QB class.  Top 4 QBs taken in 2010 were Bradford, (number 1 overall), Tebow, Jimmy Clausen and Colt McCoy and they went down hill from there.   

Look when media decides it hates you and a few old guard players in locker room do as well, it becomes impossible to do your job.

I think McDaniels has proven he is a good coach in NE.   I would take a chance on him.   Good coaches are not a dime a dozen.

Maybe his administrative and drafting skills leave something to be desired.  So do Belichicks - he just has cache to overcome it.

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results...that is what George and co have done by hiring nice guys to run their business...I don't need a nice guy...I don't even need a GM & HC who get on...I need two professionals who do whatever it takes to win regardless of how difficult those choices are...I don't need someone who is great at speaking to the media or even shareholders...I need excellent talent evaluators and people who can take our strengths as a team and find an opposing team's weaknesses then exploit them.

Now with this you've posted something I can finally subscribe to.  They have hired nice guy types because they see themselves as nice guy types and they want to work with nice guy types.  This should have been obvious as long ago as 1992 when "Mikey" fired Ditka and replaced him with Dave Wannstadt who was the hot coordinator of the moment back then.

No one will ever call Mike Ditka a "nice guy" type.

This is where I agree 100% with David Kaplan which I almost never do.  GMcC and Teddy Bears need to get out of the business of hiring upper management for their team.  They're both far too incompetent and as a result they tend to hire others who are also incompetent at their jobs.  This goes all the way back to the hiring of Wanny so Mikey could keep playing GM.

Kap is right.  They need to find a top NFL exec and turn over everything related to the football team to him and Ryan Pace is not that guy.  I've suggested moving him to a VP level job and possibly promoting Josh Lucas or Champ Kelly to the GM role ONLY because that's the kind of wishy washy move Phillips and GMcC might be comfortable making and it may change nada.

George Halas was the Godfather of the NFL and even the modern NFL yet even he knew his days as the best guy to run his team had past.  Mugs convinced him to hire Jim Finks who at that time was one of the top NFL team builders.  Finks would only accept the job IF he had full authority over the team and both player and coaching personnel.  GSH gave him that.

George Halas of all people did what the McCaskeys have refused to do and more than anything this is why we've had over 30 years of frustration and far more failures than success.  If they continue along the same path I would suggest that little or nothing will change.  Overall the Bears will remain a mediocre team because they have mediocre management and owners.

If they refuse to sell the team and refuse to replace Ted Phillips with a top notch team builder who will hold everyone down to the water boys and cleat cleaners responsible for building a winning organization nothing will change enough to make much of a difference.  Maybe the time has come to simply accept that we have become another Cleveland Browns.