Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

12 minutes ago, soulman said:

Pat Fitzgerald.  NU head coach.  He'd love to have the Bears HC job.

I've heard the rumors about Fitzgerald in the past but what's he particularly good at that he could bring to this team in order to propel us to a modern day NFL offense and help guide Fields' development?

He is currently 3-8 this year with Northwestern. That kind of sucks no?

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

I've heard the rumors about Fitzgerald in the past but what's he particularly good at that he could bring to this team in order to propel us to a modern day NFL offense and help guide Fields' development?

This is exactly where I am at with Fitzgerald...I see no reason he would even be on a long list of candidates other than he is coaching in the same state.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

My top-10 HC candidates:

1. Brian Daboll

2. Lincoln Riley

3. Kellen Moore

4. Josh McDaniels

5. Greg Roman

6. Byron Leftwich

7. Nathaniel Hackett

8. Joe Brady

9. Doug Pederson

10. Jim Harbaugh

Yes, these guys all have offensive backgrounds ...

Don't get me wrong I like several defensive coaches as well but I'm just thinking that if we hit and Fields clicks with one of the coaches listed above then we'll never have to worry about having him having to learn new offensive systems every other year.

If I had to go with a defensive coach I'd say these guys would be the top of my list in no particular order:

- Todd Bowles

- Dennis Allen

- Patrick Graham

- Matt Eberflus

- Leslie Frazier

- Vance Joseph

IMO this is a very good year to be looking for a HC. A lot of quality candidates to be had 

For me right now...

1. Brian Daboll

2. Kellen Moore

Distant 3. Ryan Day

4. Lincoln Riley

5. Kevin O'Connell

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Just throwing out another name.  Despite his current record Fitz has done a great job making NU a competitive team again.  He's 109-86 as a FBS Division 1 coach and 5-5 in bowl games coaching a school that's been anything but a football powerhouse.

NU was first in the Big 10 West in both 2018 and 2020 and he won a couple of Coach of the Year awards both years.  He's also the 6th longest tenured HC in major college football.  He's an Orland Park native and a life long Bears fan as well.  For me that counts for something.

Defense is his specialty so the door would be wide open as far as hiring the best OC and QB coaches available.  We'd no longer have a HC who likes to spend more time at that than he does coaching his entire team.  He's also just 46 years old and also very affordable.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1

Mine

First tier - Ecstatic

1. Daboll

2. Moore

Second tier - damn happy

3. Leftwich

4. McDaniels

5. Roman

Third tier - excited but will need a drink due to self-instigated anxiety

6. O'Connell

7. Joe Brady

Honestly college coaches usually suck in the NFL so I've soured on them. I'll take an NFL coach who goes down to college but there are few instances I really want to see us take a college coach for the Bears.

In a perfect world we'd get Daboll and my Gators would get Moore. lol

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

For me right now...

1. Brian Daboll

2. Kellen Moore

Distant 3. Ryan Day

4. Lincoln Riley

5. Kevin O'Connell

Ryan Day is interesting.

Is he being talked about for other NFL jobs or just the Bears job because if the connection with Fields?

What scares me about Day is his NFL experience was working under Chip Kelly

I would be on board as long as he doesn't bring that foolish hurry up/no audible strategy that Chip Kelly used when coaching Philly and SF

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

Just throwing out another name.  Despite his current record Fitz has done a great job making NU a competitive team again.  He's 109-86 as a FBS Division 1 coach and 5-5 in bowl games coaching a school that been anything but a football powerhouse.

NU was first in the Big 10 West in both 2018 and 2020 and won a couple of Coach of the Year awards both years.  He's also the 6th longest tenured HC in major college football.  He's on Orland Park native and a life long Bears fan as well.  For me that counts for something.

Defense is his specialty so the door would be wide open as far as hiring the best OC and QB coaches available.  We'd no longer have a HC who likes to spend more time at that than he does coaching his entire team.  He's also just 46 years old and also very affordable.

Fair enough I appreciate the response. I'm not saying I'd hate Fitzgerald but was just wondering what the fascination is with him.

If he were ever hired then he better damn well bring an all star staff with him too and I think that's one thing that gets overlooked when looking to hire a HC.

You can choose from so many different guys but their success also depends on the rest of their staff.

Whoever bears hire they also need to have good connections around the league. Not sure Fitz has that. Most college coaches do not

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ryan Day is interesting.

Is he being talked about for other NFL jobs or just the Bears job because if the connection with Fields?

I would be on board as long as he doesn't bring that foolish hurry up/no audible strategy that Chip Kelly used when coaching Philly and SF

Found a small tidbit of data to back up my stance about being anti-college HC

1st Time NFL Head Coaches hired Directly from College since 2000:

• Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers 5-11
  • Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals 13-18-1
  • Bill O’Brien, Houston Texans 52-48
  • Chip Kelly, Philadelphia Eagles 26-21
  • Doug Marrone, Buffalo Bills 15-17
  • Greg Schiano, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 11-21
  • Jim Harbaugh, San Francisco 49ers 44-19-1
  • Bobby Petrino, Atlanta Falcons 3-10
  • Nick Saban, Miami Dolphins 15-17
  • Steve Spurrier, Washington Football Team 12-20
  • Butch Davis, Cleveland Browns 24-35

This doesn't count 2022's season either, so this isn't 100% accurate. But still, Chip has been one of the most successful to make the jump.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Fair enough I appreciate the response. I'm not saying I'd hate Fitzgerald but was just wondering what the fascination is with him.

If he were ever hired then he better damn well bring an all star staff with him too and I think that's one thing that gets overlooked when looking to hire a HC.

You can choose from so many different guys but their success also depends on the rest of their staff.

Whoever bears hire they also need to have good connections around the league. Not sure Fitz has that. Most college coaches do not

I'm not fascinated with him.  I'm just tossing another name in that hat who I believe would be a far better choice and much closer to consideration than someone like Jim Harbaugh.

The fact that he lacks a string of pro assistants he might bring in would be a negative and one reason why few college coaches are hired from college straight to a pro HC gig.

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Can't wait for January when we'll all know for certain.  'Til then it's all just names in a hat.

I know. I want to see who it is but I have no confidence we will nail it. Either way I'll root for the Bears and hope the guy doesn't suck. lol

All the debating is just a passtime at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I know. I want to see who it is but I have no confidence we will nail it. Either way I'll root for the Bears and hope the guy doesn't suck. lol

All the debating is just a passtime at this point.

I do believe Daboll is high on the Bears list but it would not be a shock either if we hired someone completely unexpected like GSH did with Ditka.

Back then we needed a motivator who wasn't afraid to cut guys loose if they didn't measure up but now that's much tougher to do.  Dead cap is a ***** and we have or are gonna have a **** ton of it soon.

IMHO what's gonna be just as important as who the HC is will be whose on the staff and how well can they build around the strengths of the core players we have because we lack the picks to load up on more talent quickly.

Can a new HC come in and turn things around quickly or are we destined for yet another tear down and rebuild?  The defense is aging and that previous 3 year window is now closed.  So how do they work themselves out of this fix?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Ryan Day is interesting.

Day seems to be very much so his own man...not seen any funky tempo stuff or crazy formation like Kelly used...I doubt Day would be in the running for many NFL jobs and in reality I doubt he leaves Ohio State but no one can question he has taken the QB play at that school to another level and overall his offences are explosive while also sharing a lot of pro style elements...his connection with Fields would obviously be the major selling point...

That said if we don't hire Daboll or Moore I will be initially majorly disappointed.

• Like 1