Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

8 hours ago, soulman said:

I do believe Daboll is high on the Bears list but it would not be a shock either if we hired someone completely unexpected like GSH did with Ditka.

Back then we needed a motivator who wasn't afraid to cut guys loose if they didn't measure up but now that's much tougher to do.  Dead cap is a ***** and we have or are gonna have a **** ton of it soon.

IMHO what's gonna be just as important as who the HC is will be whose on the staff and how well can they build around the strengths of the core players we have because we lack the picks to load up on more talent quickly.

Can a new HC come in and turn things around quickly or are we destined for yet another tear down and rebuild?  The defense is aging and that previous 3 year window is now closed.  So how do they work themselves out of this fix?

I think we have enough young talent that we won't have a full rebuild, but people should have realistic expectations for 2022. I'm not banking on a "worst to first" scenario. We should have enough expiring contracts that allow a good mix of FAs that help shape the team in the short term, and hopefully as you said we can build around the core players.

Can we have an interim HC NOW!!!!!  Please George.  For once in your life grow some hair on your balls and order Pace to fire Nagy tomorrow.

What's even worse about all this is having no 1st round pick to even take advantage of this cratering.  You're up by 4 points.  The others guys HAVE to score a TD to win.....and you let them?

Pathetic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soulman said:

Can we have an interim HC NOW!!!!!  Please George.  For once in your life grow some hair on your balls and order Pace to fire Nagy tomorrow.

What's even worse about all this is having no 1st round pick to even take advantage of this cratering.  You're up by 4 points.  The others guys HAVE to score a TD to win.....and you let them?

Pathetic.

George probably refers to pi**ing as "going tinkle."

• Like 1

Need to stop looking into McDaniels...starting to think he is not as big a prick as I thought hahaha...

Either way I doubt he leaves NE however Belichick even coming up to 70 years old doesn't look like he plans on hanging it up any time soon so how long will this guy wait to take another job?

To be honest I've lost all hope that GMcC and Teddy Bears have the knowledge needed to restore the Bears.  Phillips has been CEO for over 20 years and GMcC COB for over 10 years.

During the past decade the Bears have never risen to a level of being more than a middle of the pack team who can't even get out of their own way.  Yesterday was a flat out embarrassment.

How do you allow a team with a backup QB who'd only thrown 16 passes in his entire pro career to march his team down the field needing a TD to beat you and yet he does it?

You sack the guy 6 times yet your offense is so pathetic that once again it can only muster 13 points because you have a totally inept HC with a failed offensive scheme?

Matt Nagy should be fired today yet GMcC and Teddy Bears won't do it or insist on even minimal accountability from him or from the GM who hired him.  The Bears have collapsed yet again.

The only way out of this mess I can even fathom may work is to hire a new Team President to replace Phillips, give him carte blanche to rebuild not only the roster but the entire organization, and then recede into the shadows to work on the Arlington project and a new stadium.

While the McCaskeys and Phillips can operate profitably they cannot operate successfully as a franchise whose business is producing winning football teams.  GSH should be haunting their dreams right now even telling Ginny to sell the damn team.  They can't handle it.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Need to stop looking into McDaniels...starting to think he is not as big a prick as I thought hahaha...

Either way I doubt he leaves NE however Belichick even coming up to 70 years old doesn't look like he plans on hanging it up any time soon so how long will this guy wait to take another job?

I caught a short bit of that video and found it interesting how Brian Daboll is good friends with McDaniels and was the one who approached him for a job while working as an assistant under Nick Saban's staff at Michigan State and then after Daboll left for New England McDaniels followed him the next year.

I still like Daboll as my top guy though I imagine he and McDabiels share very similar philosophies 

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I caught a short bit of that video and found it interesting how Brian Daboll is good friends with McDaniels and was the one who approached him for a job while working as an assistant under Nick Saban's staff at Michigan State and then after Daboll left for New England McDaniels followed him the next year.

I still like Daboll as my top guy though I imagine he and McDabiels share very similar philosophies 

Yeah I found that out when I was doing my research on Daboll...I would agree that Daboll would still be my #1 candidate but the more I read about McDaniels the softer my opinion becomes on him...yes he shouldn't have accepted the Colts job then back out...but you can only make decisions on the information you have...the Colts forced the hand of Kraft &  Belichick to promise him the Pats job when BB is done and to give him a massive salary increase...that type of info would change most people's minds...

I think it would take a lot to get him out of NE and we would need to fully believe he felt Fields was his QB for the next 15 years but if that is the case I would struggle not to interview him given how versatile and effective his offences have also been...even with Cassel & now Jones.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Yeah I found that out when I was doing my research on Daboll...I would agree that Daboll would still be my #1 candidate but the more I read about McDaniels the softer my opinion becomes on him...yes he shouldn't have accepted the Colts job then back out...but you can only make decisions on the information you have...the Colts forced the hand of Kraft &  Belichick to promise him the Pats job when BB is done and to give him a massive salary increase...that type of info would change most people's minds...

I think it would take a lot to get him out of NE and we would need to fully believe he felt Fields was his QB for the next 15 years but if that is the case I would struggle not to interview him given how versatile and effective his offences have also been...even with Cassel & now Jones.

I'm not sure this is the true reason and it may just be speculation.

I heard the real reason he backed out was because of Chris Ballard. Apparently McDaniels didn't trust him and I think in the end wanted his own guy at GM.

I'm still pretty confident McDaniels can be had as a HC for some team like the Bears, just probably not with Pace as GM.

If Bears want to attract a top candidate like that then they have to be more open minded. 

No more half measures like for example when Phil Emery was hired as GM he was as told he had to keep Lovie Smith on for at least one more year. And then when he tried hiring Brice Arians as HC the next year he told him he had to keep Marinelli on as the DC.

As you see it's the same idiotic Mom and Pop type of business stuff going on in within this organization.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BearsFanForever said:

When i die, i want the bears to be the ones to bury me.  Then I can know they let me down one last time.

They would have loved to handle such a an important request but they'd fail in a pathetic way, imagine George with his tie stuck in the door of his 94 Grand Caravan, and Teddy throws out his back getting the shovels they borrowed from a neighbor.  Better to have Jay Cutler chop you up for farm animal feed. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

McDaniels still seems like an awful hire, but luckily I cannot see it happening from multiple angles.  I think George would be too nervous, I think he'd look at Pace's record and say no way, too many strikes for that to happen.  

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I'm not sure this is the true reason and it may just be speculation.

I heard the real reason he backed out was because of Chris Ballard. Apparently McDaniels didn't trust him and I think in the end wanted his own guy at GM.

I'm still pretty confident McDaniels can be had as a HC for some team like the Bears, just probably not with Pace as GM.

If Bears want to attract a top candidate like that then they have to be more open minded. 

No more half measures like for example when Phil Emery was hired as GM he was as told he had to keep Lovie Smith on for at least one more year. And then when he tried hiring Brice Arians as HC the next year he told him he had to keep Marinelli on as the DC.

As you see it's the same idiotic Mom and Pop type of business stuff going on in within this organization.

Maybe the hand shake agreement is speculation but the salary increase happened accoring to multiple sources...

It also wouldn't shock me if McDaniels would only take a top job with his own guy in place...top candidates should be allowed to make that request and then it's down to ownership to decide how much they value them...I would be in favour of clearing house top to bottom for the right candidate.