Bears Hire Ryan Poles as GM & Matt Eberflus as HC

Madmike90

9 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

It is so tough to decide who would be a better fit for us between Daboll & Moore...I would be thrilled with either for different reasons but gun to my head I would struggle to say who I prefer...Ben Allbright still seems to believe Daboll is the fit for us.

In the last two weeks of the season we can interview both, and I hope we do.

Both have elevated the offensive play. Both have groomed and developed their franchise QB. Both are outcoaching defenses on a regular basis. Both OWN their offense, aren't puppets under the HC like Reid's lackeys.

They are my top two and I'd be ecstatic with either.

Daboll got to see Soldier Field up close in the preseason. Moore was here in 2019. I wish Moore could get here in 2021 so he could have fans clamoring for him to sign here. lol

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I think either would be fine options though we probably have a better shot at Daboll.

Rumor has it that the Cowboys are very keen on keeping Moore in Dallas at all costs just short of promoting him to HC.

I'd like to see us at least request an interview with Moore.

Great write up btw.

Thanks man...

I suspect it comes down to how we feel about Pace...I think so many teams will want Daboll he will have the stroke to bring his own GM especially since Joe Schoen & Dan Morgan are prime candidates in their own right to be GMs...if we want to keep Pace then it has to be all in on Moore who doesn't seem to have an obvious connection to a GM candidate.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:11 PM, Madmike90 said:

Conclusion

Kellen Moore is a risky pick given his inexperience as a coach…but it is difficult to look past the production of his offence over the last three seasons as well as the versatility and ability he has shown to develop players…his winning mentality from being a player to now being a coach also can’t be overlooked as he does what it takes to win…Moore might be soft spoken but he has the offensive room in the palm of his hand and they all buy into him and that is the most important thing for any head coach…as I said he is a risk but honestly all the signs point to him being the next Sean McVay…in my opinion he has a higher ceiling because of that history as a player and the versatility his offence has shown…you pair him with an experience DC and he really could be the key building block for this franchise for the next 30 years.

Incredible work Mike.  Best and most thorough analysis I've ever read.  We need you on the Bears "Next HC" Committee.

This may be what interests me most.  He has an ability to put his guys in a position to win and has done it with both front line starters and their backups.  The counter to this of course is his age and lack of experience as a HC or even much experience as an OC.

One of my biggest gripes against Nagy is how poorly prepared his team looks each week.  Either they can't get started early or they can't finish when teams make adjustments in response to what we're doing yet Nagy never seems to find ways to counter those moves.

I would like to see us continue to hire a younger HC who may also take some time to grow into the job but with a 22 year old QB who can grow with him Moore could be an ideal prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Incredible work Mike.  Best and most thorough analysis I've ever read.  We need you on the Bears "Next HC" Committee.

This may be what interests me most.  He has an ability to put his guys in a position to win and has done it with both front line starters and their backups.  The counter to this of course is his age and lack of experience as a HC or even much experience as an OC.

One of my biggest gripes against Nagy is how poorly prepared his team looks each week.  Either they can't get started early or they can't finish when teams make adjustments in response to what we're doing yet Nagy never seems to find ways to counter those moves.

I would like to see us continue to hire a younger HC who may also take some time to grow into the job but with a 22 year old QB who can grow with him Moore could be an ideal prospect.

Thanks man...that would be the dream come true haha...

His ability to put back ups in and run the same type of stuff is highly impressive but what might be even more impressive is his ability to change his scheme to what he has avaliable to him...like I said you really can't put his offence in a box.

• Like 1

Really interesting with the new rules that you can interview for a new Head Coach from week 15 onwards...to do so you need to fire your Head Coach...hopefully the Nagy experience will be over sooner rather than later and we will have Daboll/Moore in place as early as possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Really interesting with the new rules that you can interview for a new Head Coach from week 15 onwards...to do so you need to fire your Head Coach...hopefully the Nagy experience will be over sooner rather than later and we will have Daboll/Moore in place as early as possible.

That rule change may be the reason we'll see a Bears HC fired prior to seasons end.

It seems like they're getting their ducks in a row now so they can be ready to move quickly once that window opens.  It's always possible Nagy holds on 'til after game 17 but there's also a good chance he won't if the Bears feel they need to get out front of others in the interview process.

43 minutes ago, soulman said:

That rule change may be the reason we'll see a Bears HC fired prior to seasons end.

It seems like they're getting their ducks in a row now so they can be ready to move quickly once that window opens.  It's always possible Nagy holds on 'til after game 17 but there's also a good chance he won't if the Bears feel they need to get out front of others in the interview process.

For me that is a risk we can't take...I 100% believe we would be left behind by other teams if we start interviewing two weeks behind.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

For some reason, I was not aware of that new policy. Huh. 

Is it called "The McCaskey Rule"? 😁

34 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

For me that is a risk we can't take...I 100% believe we would be left behind by other teams if we start interviewing two weeks behind.

Well, if the rumors are correct the front office appears to be getting ready for a coaching change.

I don't know that I'd worry all that much about getting the first interviews though.  Despite our ongoing struggles the opportunity to become the HC of a legendary NFL Franchise is an attraction in itself.  Turn this team around and you'll be walking on water with Bears Fans.

In addition the Bears pay well, they've been very open to spending on assistant coaching hires and ancillary personnel in the areas of nutrition and training.  Halas Hall has one of the most modern practice and training facilities in the NFL and a new stadium looks to be in the future.

We also have a 22 year old QB to develop and build around who could easily become the first All Pro QB we've had since the days of Sid Luckman.  I gotta think that if you're a prospect you'll surely want to listen to what the Bears are offering.  It's a high profile HC job for sure.

19 minutes ago, soulman said:

Well, if the rumors are correct the front office appears to be getting ready for a coaching change.

I don't know that I'd worry all that much about getting the first interviews though.  Despite our ongoing struggles the opportunity to become the HC of a legendary NFL Franchise is an attraction in itself.  Turn this team around and you'll be walking on water with Bears Fans.

In addition the Bears pay well, they've been very open to spending on assistant coaching hires and ancillary personnel in the areas of nutrition and training.  Halas Hall has one of the most modern practice and training facilities in the NFL and a new stadium looks to be in the future.

We also have a 22 year old QB to develop and build around who could easily become the first All Pro QB we've had since the days of Sid Luckman.  I gotta think that if you're a prospect you'll surely want to listen to what the Bears are offering.  It's a high profile HC job for sure.

No doubt it is about as high profile as any franchise but I also think it can be viewed as a messy situation especially if Pace is retained...and if I am an agent I am asking if the spending on staff is going to continue considering the fact there is a new stadium on the way to pay for...

With so few jobs in the NFL I just worry that if you let people get a head start on you then you get left behind because of peoples desire to secure that HC job...every franchise is worth a billion so everyone can pay...a team like Jacksonville can offer that same young franchise QB to work with and and even bigger cap & higher picks...a team like Las Vegas can offer a team that is pretty competitive right away...Miami clearly are still the leader for Watson...with that even the Texans than have a massive amount of ammo to rebuild if Watson is traded...the Giants while not as storied as us are an attraction in themselves as well and also have some ammo to improve pretty quickly...I would suspect only 6 or 7 jobs out there for the top 2 to scramble for them it is a lottery of who you get after that...need to get out in front.

The top prospects will in all likelihood get several interviews and while we need to be prepared to jump into the fray what I was saying is that most will accept and attend multiple interviews as well.  Hiring a new HC is a 4-5 year commitment that shouldn't be rushed.

If we plan on hiring an offensive minded HC then surely Daboll should head their list based on both his experience at the NFL level and the incredible job he's done with Josh Allen.  I think Kellen Moore may be a more distant second if only because he lacks the experience but if Daboll isn't interested or is hired by another team you'd have to think that Moore would still be in contention.

As for Daboll is see a whole lot of good things about him but let's remember that Matt Nagy was once a hot HC prospect too as was Adam Gase and many other former OCs who've never performed as well as HC as they once did as OCs.  As much as I like Moore as well I have to wonder whether the Bears would take a chance on someone as inexperienced as he is?  Guess we'll know soon enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soulman said:

The top prospects will in all likelihood get several interviews and while we need to be prepared to jump into the fray what I was saying is that most will accept and attend multiple interviews as well.  Hiring a new HC is a 4-5 year commitment that shouldn't be rushed.

If we plan on hiring an offensive minded HC then surely Daboll should head their list based on both his experience at the NFL level and the incredible job he's done with Josh Allen.  I think Kellen Moore may be a more distant second if only because he lacks the experience but if Daboll isn't interested or is hired by another team you'd have to think that Moore would still be in contention.

As for Daboll is see a whole lot of good things about him but let's remember that Matt Nagy was once a hot HC prospect too as was Adam Gase and many other former OCs who've never performed as well as HC as they once did as OCs.  As much as I like Moore as well I have to wonder whether the Bears would take a chance on someone as inexperienced as he is?  Guess we'll know soon enough.

Obviously it's no guarantee Daboll becomes a good HC but from all accounts he has the leadership traits you look for in a HC along with being an X's and O's guy and he has extensive experience working under some great head coaches such as Belichick and Saban and now a pretty good one in Sean McDermott. The biggest is is that he's overseen the development of Josh Allen since he go drafted and the guy has only gotten better each and every season.

On the other hand Nagy was false advertised before he became a HC for the Bears. First off he was barely a play caller for the Chiefs and when given the opportunity he was not good. See the Chiefs vs Titans wildcard game a few years back.

He's also only worked under Andy Reid his whole coaching career so he only really knows one way of coaching. I believe this is why he's been so rigid and unwilling to budge on his "system".

At the end of the day whichever way they go is going to be a risk no matter who they pick but I just know I would feel much much better about hiring a guy like Daboll than I did when they hired Nagy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

He's also only worked under Andy Reid his whole coaching career so he only really knows one way of coaching. I believe this is why he's been so rigid and unwilling to budge on his "system".

This is why I think so many of Belichick's disciple's have failed as HCs. They see how Bill runs things, but they aren't Bill. When you're in NE you're a part of his system and you do your job. But that isn't what Bill does, he manages everyone and dabbles wherever the hell he wants. If you're going to hire someone from his tree you need to hire someone to handle the other side of the ball until you grow as a HC.

Nagy didn't even own his side of the ball, he was the lackey to Reid. Daboll has seen great coaches in Bill and Saban, seen a really good one in McDermott, and also seen failings by Mangini. Sparano, and Crennel WHILE owning one side of the ball for a lot of those years. He has exposure that should be invaluable for him as a HC.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Obviously it's no guarantee Daboll becomes a good HC but from all accounts he has the leadership traits you look for in a HC along with being an X's and O's guy and he has extensive experience working under some great head coaches such as Belichick and Saban and now a pretty good one in Sean McDermott. The biggest is is that he's overseen the development of Josh Allen since he go drafted and the guy has only gotten better each and every season.

On the other hand Nagy was false advertised before he became a HC for the Bears. First off he was barely a play caller for the Chiefs and when given the opportunity he was not good. See the Chiefs vs Titans wildcard game a few years back.

At the end of the day whichever way they go is going to be a risk no matter who they pick but I just know I would feel much much better about hiring a guy like Daboll than I did when they hired Nagy.

I'm fine with Daboll if that's the decision the powers that be make and he accepts the gig.

I mostly just want Nagy gone.  When you consider he moved his team from a 12-4 season his first year as HC to an also ran team who can barely manage a backdoor entrance to the playoffs where's he been perpetually one and done it's simply time to move on.  It won't get much better but it sure as hell can get worse and may.